Author Topic: NCsoft Corporation to Sell Entire Shares of NC Interactive Inc.  (Read 55535 times)

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
Re: NCsoft Corporation to Sell Entire Shares of NC Interactive Inc.
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2012, 09:17:38 PM »
Okay, here's a better picture of what's going on.  According to this they are spinning off NC Interactive, ArenaNet and Carbine Studios into a holding company.  The reason?  "... a more rapid decision-making in the rapidly changing North American and European markets, further strengthen the independence and accountability of the organization is to go on ..." (pardon Google Translate's Engrish).
I would wait for a better translation, but that's a possibility.
Yeeessss....

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2012, 09:19:10 PM »
Well the chart is rather self explanatory unless you are talking about the quote.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2012, 09:22:38 PM »
Well the chart is rather self explanatory unless you are talking about the quote.
I'm talking about parts of the article. It could be that NC West already exists and they are selling them off (hence dash lines around NC Interactive) so that they are not independent anymore. The pair of OP links stated that NCSoft was selling 78 GKRW worth of shares and injecting 55 into new NCWest. The link between NCSoft and NC West is not the same as between NC West and NC Interactive, so that's still fuzzy.

here, try to read this (I can't):
NCsoft West Holdings launched as NC Interactive and ArenaNet existing publishing organization and development studio incorporated as a holding company, and the step-by-step can be sold independently operated
Yeeessss....

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2012, 09:35:09 PM »
OK, but the most important question is...

Does this mean we get City back? And are we actually still paying NCSoft?

Just keeping it all in perspective. If we get Paragon back and can manage to drag Tabula Rasa and the others out with them, well then it's to the good. If this is all some sort of corporate money shuffle (as I expect) then we're not much better off than before.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2012, 10:02:04 PM »
I wish I knew what this even means. Everyone I'm showing it to can't tell me if this is good or bad for us.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2012, 10:12:18 PM »
"I wish I knew what this even means."

While I don't pretend to know the mysterious ways of the corporation, the fact that it produces a collective "huh?" says "smokescreen" to me.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2012, 10:20:52 PM »
"I wish I knew what this even means."

While I don't pretend to know the mysterious ways of the corporation, the fact that it produces a collective "huh?" says "smokescreen" to me.

That's my read as well.

NCSoft IS a Nemesis Plot, the most evil, convoluted one ever.

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2012, 10:21:14 PM »
Does this mean we get City back? And are we actually still paying NCSoft?
I doubt it would be part of the plan.  They could have kept the game operational and done the reshuffling.  I suspect it has little impact on our plans in general, but as an opening for the Hail Mary plan, it might be useful.

Infamy

• Underling
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2012, 10:29:29 PM »
A copyright is a form of protection provided to the authors of "original works of authorship" including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works, both published and unpublished. The 1976 Copyright Act generally gives the owner of copyright the exclusive right to reproduce the copyrighted work, to prepare derivative works, to distribute copies or phonorecords of the copyrighted work, to perform the copyrighted work publicly, or to display the copyrighted work publicly.  Copyrights are registered by the Copyright Office of the Library of Congress.

A trademark is a word, name, symbol or device which is used in trade with goods to indicate the source of the goods and to distinguish them from the goods of others. A servicemark is the same as a trademark except that it identifies and distinguishes the source of a service rather than a product. The terms "trademark" and "mark" are commonly used to refer to both trademarks and servicemarks. Trademark rights may be used to prevent others from using a confusingly similar mark, but not to prevent others from making the same goods or from selling the same goods or services under a clearly different mark. (Emphasis mine)

So a trademark might keep you from using the name "Paragon City", but NOT keep you from using "Titan City" to refer to the same exact product...

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2012, 10:30:27 PM »
Gut reaction: uh-oh. Not necessarily for us, just in general. I sense low-level panic pervading every part of NCSoftheaded, like so many forest animals scenting smoke on the wind.

Run, employees run!

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2012, 10:33:54 PM »
* DrakeGrimm facepalms

...this can't end well.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2012, 10:35:14 PM »
Guys, copyright and trademarks are meaningless at this point. For one, all the websites have those copyright stamps on them, even for content like Lineage or Aion that we know for certain belong to The Mothership company.

Second: even if they meant anything, we don't know how much transfering of assets they will do. The only thing that sparks any interest to me is that they are selling NCSoft Interactive, for it to be sold it needs some assets of it's own. CoH (being dead and all) will never justify the asking price, but I really doubt they plan to spin off Arena.net ownership entirely either.

For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2012, 10:37:13 PM »
* DrakeGrimm facepalms

...this can't end well.

So, what you're saying is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsXEToflqGs
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2012, 11:36:41 PM »
For the record, this has not escaped my attention, but I literally just found out about it.  I don't know exactly what it means, I'm still working on parsing it and figuring out what's going on.  Obviously, if this presents an opportunity for City of Heroes to be acquired by a third party, we will be all over it.  If not, we'll still keep on keepin' on.

Once you find out what it all means, even if it isnt good, letting us know would be cool :) But no rush. Keep on keepin on, Tony. You rock.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2012, 11:49:10 PM »
An obvious possibility, if this is a real attempt at setting up a Western-Focused company that will handle things with their own mindset and approach that is different than the parent company's successful Eastern approach (and not simply a smokescreen and/or numbers-shuffling bureaucratic ploy to make numbers look better and/or circumvent any possible bad-name they may have garnered)...
Then, it is possible (no knowing how likely or unlikely) that the decision-makers of this new entity could believe in reviving City Of Heroes and/or even selling it (no knowing if any of this would actually be their right and/or if it would need approval from NCSoft).

If it's a legitimate change, recognizing the failures of the Korean offices to market to the west, and if CoH is included in the acquisition, then it is possible that the decision-makers for the west will be more in favor of our desires.
Obviously, these are big ifs and we just don't know yet.

If CoH and associated IP and data is a part of this transaction... in a way... CoH has been sold! Hah.  :roll: :P ;)

Wait and see...

--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Surelle

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2012, 11:55:35 PM »
It will be interesting to see if this portends well for the west.  It is more in keeping with how NCSoft has acted all through the years for it to be a case of them offloading their less desirable areas (EU and NA) onto a smokescreen corporation that will give them a name change and public perception change that they desperately need after years of treating EU and NA customers poorly.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's just money shuffling from itself to itself in the end, with no noticeable difference on our end.

Even if it is, all this paperwork shuffling could really throw a monkey wrench into the works of trying to buy CoH's IP.  At least the deal is going down in 12 days.  And it sure sounds feasible that they shut down CoH because, if left running, it would have been an obstacle to all this paper shuffling.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2012, 12:00:43 AM »
OK.... after looking at the chart thingy in the google translated korean site.... it seems what they are doing is selling NCSoft Interactive stock to NC West Holding, that in turn is fully owned by NCSoft Corp.

The entire "faster decision making" may be just bullocks. My two guesses:

A) Creating this company, in US soil, on top of the other 3, make it easier to set up a whole new more direct chain on command over the 3 US studios.
B) This is just a way to make easy the accounting process and us taxation. Now (potentially) it's only one tax entry.
C) Doooooom!!!
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2012, 12:06:41 AM »
I have it from an extremely reliable source that this "sale" is completely meaningless.

NCsoft is selling NCsoft West back to itself, and recreating it. So it's not a real sale, it's fake, and just a sale on paper only.

There is no change at all of IP. The new NCsoft West will be smaller than before, reporting directly to Korea.

This is of absolutely ZERO relevance to City of Heroes. No need to freak out, no need to celebrate.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2012, 12:19:42 AM »
This is of absolutely ZERO relevance to City of Heroes. No need to freak out, no need to celebrate.

This plan however may be why they havent made any moves if they plan to.

This had to take a lot of doing, so they wouldn't much it up by worrying over selling a game they don't care about.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2012, 12:35:44 AM »

I have zero hope in CoH returning, but for those interested in not giving up and still try to negotiate something, this means absolutely everything to their efforts.