Author Topic: A Very Difficult Subject to Talk About  (Read 12918 times)

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
Re: A Very Difficult Subject to Talk About
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2012, 04:07:16 AM »
I'm saying that the people running NCSoftheaded don't give a damn whether we do or not. Its very simple: they just don't care. We are nothing to them. I'm not even sure they view us as human beings with feelings. In fact, I'm pretty sure they dont.

I'm saying that I care, and that a lot of other people care, and that it doesnt hurt to attempt to be sensitive to the perceptions that normal people will have. NCSoft might not care about some of us gamers standing up, but it would care if a united front (or cracked back, as implied by another thread...) of gamers came together in a global way. I'm not saying I think it would be easy, or perhapos even doable to get the Korean gaming public on our side..

But I know that I personally want less to do when people don't care. And while I'm not saying you, or anyone else, has purposefully perpetuated such beliefs publicly, seeming to not care about the notion doesnt help us either.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2012, 05:52:59 AM »
And to a certain Frog, I rather owe you for bringing something I wasn't fully conscious of to a head. I plead temporary insanity.

I'm glad it worked itself out. And I can relate. I miss our City too.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2012, 08:53:53 AM »
The vitriol and hatred. NCsoft made a boneheaded move, yes. Then they tried to cover it up by not responding. Then they tried to placate us with hollow words. None of that indicates any kind of feeling either way. Claiming that people don't care is overstepping your bounds. You have no idea if they do or do not. Spewing hate like this is not conducive to any of the efforts of the SaveCoH movement.

Personally, I find a no response worse than a negative response.

This is making a mountain out of a molehill. We all know what NCSoft did, now I am doing my part on a grass roots level to give them negative PR. That's all the needs to be said.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2012, 09:00:19 AM »
Personally, I find a no response worse than a negative response.

This is making a mountain out of a molehill. We all know what NCSoft did, now I am doing my part on a grass roots level to give them negative PR. That's all the needs to be said.

Are you looking for City of Heroes to be brought back to life or for a revenge?

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2012, 09:02:59 AM »
I'm pretty sure just about everyone here would love for CoH to come back.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2012, 09:04:26 AM »
I'm pretty sure just about everyone here would love for CoH to come back.

Agreed. But being bent on hurting NCsoft may actually make that task much more difficult.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2012, 09:14:52 AM »
Agreed. But being bent on hurting NCsoft may actually make that task much more difficult.

Well if NCSoft starts making boatloads of money from Blade and Soul then its more likely that CoH is coming back? This is getting to be too much of a thread derail, start a new topic LGF. (Thread derails are why forums are forums)

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2012, 09:21:22 AM »
"...being bent on hurting NCsoft may actually make that task much more difficult."

The decision to go from talking nicely to NCSoft, to attacking NCSoft, was a critical moment. We made that choice when NCSoft failed to give us any answer besides what amounted to, "game's closing. Go away." At that point, resentment boiled over. I don't think any of us could have stopped it.

We have crossed the Rubicon. We have placed ourselves in an adversarial relationship, and there's no turning back. Right now we're using a carrot-and-stick approach. "Team Wildcard" is coaxing other companies to tender attractive offers, while the rest of us hold NCSoft's feet to the fire, kick up a storm of bad press, show 'em that we're gonna dog 'em until they relent.

I believe that's a sound approach, especially since we have so few tools at our command. Of course, better ideas are always welcome.

The question here, seems to me, is how the stick gets applied. Remember, it was only two weeks ago; many of us haven't been in our right minds. Our heads are cooler now.

We need to make sure our anti-NCSoft campaign is targeted like a laser, so it targets only NCSoft, but in ways that don't cast us in an unflattering light. Some ideas will be used, others discarded.

But... I think there is also such a thing as erring too much on the side of caution. I'm sure we'll be fine so long as we apply our collective intelligence and judgment.

"...now I am doing my part on a grass roots level to give them negative PR. That's all the needs to be said."

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:29:03 AM by Colette »

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2012, 09:34:32 AM »
I am angry that the City was shut down..and sad, of course. NCSoft is a business, and as such, they do what they need to in order stay there. All businesses make bad decisions at times, and of course I think this is one of them. It wouldn't matter if NCSoft was a 100% American run comany...I'd feel the same way.
If I make silly memes and pictures it's only to creatively vent within this community, and perhaps make some folks laugh. Behind that company are fellow humans with the same struggles that we go through...it makes no sense to have any hatred toward them.  I am targeting the 'corporate image'.
My MAIN objectitive is to get our City back, not to destroy or bash others. Colette was so right to bring all these things forward. Am I glad when the stocks go down? Only if it helps our cause, not because I want to see a company fail and people lose jobs. We need to fight to save or game, not destroy its creators.
Ghandi said, "A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history."
Let's do this right.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
I'm merely reminding, frequently, the users of other NCSoft games that what happened to us can happen to them, at any moment, and with no warning.

I consider that a public service.

I also consider informing parental groups that Blade and Soul is probably not what they want their teenage sons looking at to be a public service, and giving them graphic examples.

I consider informing feminist groups that Blade and Soul contributes to the objectification of women is a public service.

Those are my opinions, and I believe they are valid.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2012, 11:52:31 AM »
VV, that information is valuable...ignorance is NOT bliss. How can anyone make the best decision on something without all the information they can get? No matter how flat a piece of paper is, it still has 2 sides.

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2012, 01:53:13 PM »
"With the closure of popular MMOs like Star Wars Galaxies, City of Heroes and more, some players are a bit irritated at the genre as a whole."

Isn't this an overstatement? Weren't the subscribers for these games in the tens, not hundreds, of thousands by the time they closed? If these games were truly popular, wouldn't they still be around and making money for their owners?

Ignorant know it alls like this annoy the hell out of me.

I'm sorry, this was supposed to be posted in the massively how to save an mmo thread. Can someone move it?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 02:08:02 PM by Noyjitat »

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2012, 02:06:03 PM »
And that how the world turns. As infuriating as it may be, they have no obligation to care for us. They are a business. They care about earning money, not preserving communities. Unless the latter leads to the former.
Missing Worlds Media is betting the Phoenix Project and a great deal of time, effort, and not-insigificant money on the idea that the latter can lead to the former, with hopes that in so doing it will naturally support the latter for a long time hence.

Greg Lloyd

• Minion
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2012, 02:29:11 PM »
Are you looking for City of Heroes to be brought back to life or for a revenge?

If I can't get the one, I'm damned sure going to get the other.
G

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2012, 02:31:05 PM »
G

QFT
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2012, 02:52:51 PM »
The vitriol and hatred. NCsoft made a boneheaded move, yes. Then they tried to cover it up by not responding. Then they tried to placate us with hollow words. None of that indicates any kind of feeling either way. Claiming that people don't care is overstepping your bounds. You have no idea if they do or do not. Spewing hate like this is not conducive to any of the efforts of the SaveCoH movement.

Stating that NCSoft has no care for us, either personally or as a group of subscribers, is hardly "spewing hate;" the mere idea is just ridiculously over the top. And actually, I DO have proof that they do not care: look at their behavior from the announcement onward, up until right now. Do YOU see evidence of caring? I sure don't. If I am wrong, please point me to the evidence. I would love to be wrong.

I'm actually pretty vitriolic right now. Yup. Truth. NCSoftheaded took from me - and from us all - characters that we love, and that were worth a considerable amount of real-world cash. Damn straight I am mad. If being mad about that makes me wrong, I don't wanna be right.

If you think sitting on your hands with duct-tape across your mouth re NCSoftheaded is going to get you anything, good luck with that strategy. For real. And with that I really am going to take a break.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2012, 03:39:26 PM »
As usual, Colette, I like what you and others had to say and how you said it.  +1. 
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2012, 03:58:59 PM »
Yes, I understand many people are angry and are displaying it. To me, it's just something many humans do and is usually relatively harmless with their specific goal in mind. Some people just want to hurt NCSoft by any means at all costs, so being explosive and rabid can get the job done. Others want to try to convince, and some people believe being negative is the best way to get this goal done and other believe remaining civil is the best way. Either way may get some sort of resort. Other beleive putting on a united front image and best behavior is the best way and that can bea means to reach the goal. The problem is that there isnt much of a united goal here, besides bring COX back. It takes more than a united goal to be united. Hell, out of the countries i nthe world, their goal is world peace but yet there is still wars because the method is not united and thus world peace will never be obtained because some countried beleieve that world peace can only be obtained through iron fist dictatorships while others believe that liberty is the key, while others beleive that a mixture of the two is the way, while others still beleive anachy is the way. So in the end, the different methods of reaching that goal doesnt personally bother me. To each his/her own or how ever that saying goes.

Edit: Just general nukage since most of what was here now doesn't have context. --TonyV
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 04:55:00 AM by TonyV »

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2012, 05:09:29 PM »
G

"Some men just want to watch the world burn." Er, wait... I mean: "We are heroes. This is what we do."

Riggs_Wild

• Underling
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2012, 07:17:48 PM »
This is very wise. In combat one of the ways to help ensure victory for yourself is to make your enemy blind with rage. A person raging swings wild with no fore thought. I am also sure that they are watching this web site. So do be careful friend we are a family of HEROES lets continue this like heros with grace and dignity.

Edit: I've nuked a bunch of posts and honestly don't know what this comment is in reference to.  Just please be aware that it is not a direct response to the comment above it, as the context has likely been lost or at least changed. --TonyV
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 05:07:50 AM by TonyV »