Author Topic: Turbine might be a good backup option  (Read 4881 times)

NoName

• Minion
Turbine might be a good backup option
« on: December 14, 2012, 07:12:34 PM »

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
Re: Turbine might be a good backup option
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:31:50 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong here, but why NOT branch out right away?

Let's face it, while some of us will keep caring forever... not all of us will remain as patience. Life could interrupt. Things could simply drift away.

This is a great direction to look. If Disney decides to go for it, and Turbine has already made a move, I don't see how that would be bad for us. Given the resurrection of Asheron's Call 2, I would have to agree that this would be a good direction to explore. Why not cut to the chase and do it now, just to hedge our bets?

Anyone who decides to go after CoH from NCSoft will not think that attempts to diversify our attention-grabbing are due to disrespect or show disingenuous loyalty that will not equate to profit should CoH reopen. I think it would just show pragmatism.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Traybor

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 09:12:18 PM »
... and are letting people play it for free for the time being.
Not for free.  You do have to have a paid subscription to AC1 to play on the AC2 beta server.  But still, it's an interesting move to bring back a game that had been shut down.  And certainly shows a different approach to their game property and the customers than a certain other company that used to operate COH.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 02:20:00 AM »
I was thinking just that when I saw that article! I think we should explore all possibilities! Wouldn't that be amazing if Turbine could do that for us???
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 02:42:48 AM »
Turbine probably can't support anything like a studio, but it won't hurt to see what they have to say.

Meanwhile keep up the letters.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Surelle

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 04:21:12 AM »
It's tough, because Asheron's Call 2 is their own game, and they self-publish all their games.  They aren't very big to begin with, and they have never paid another studio to do anything for them.  So I kinda think they're out.

I sent my letters to Disney, but frankly I'm not holding my breath on that one either, nice though it would be.  This endeavor was not by invitation-- it was a shot in the dark lobbed at an unsuspecting target, who may well consider us harassers by this point.  Let's face it, they are openly making moves to break into the Asian market with their brand-new gaming franchises, and here we are with our 8 1/2 year old game having just been shut down by a very large, if not the largest, Asian MMORPG publisher.  (Of course, we had no idea about the direction Disney was taking with their online gaming when Team Wildcard made their pitch, but still.)  And CoH (though I love it as much as anyone) bombed in Asia besides.  I'm not getting my hopes up too far on this one.

I still think Valve would be a better option (they make money off one-shot sales-- even their online shooter facets are F2P so CoH's monthly fees may well interest them, and as they don't run massively multiplayer games, it may be more worth it to them to rehire as much of PS as they can to develop and run CoH).  But the best option of all would be for Brian Clayton to re-forge his financial alliances and make another offer for CoH similarly to what he tried to do this past September.  In reality, no one else is going to care even remotely as much about CoH as he and PS do.

But who knows, what with this crazy new "wholly-owned subsidiary" thing going down on December 24th, NCSoft may not even want to think about CoH or risk dredging it up for a sale so that it entangles these other proceedings of theirs.  I more than suspect that this whole big deal thing is why CoH was shut down in such a knee-jerk fashion to begin with-- in preparation for this new total transfer of stock.

I just wish we knew whether having Brian go in to rescue CoH BEFORE this new subsidiary steps in (isn't that what Fansy was mumbo-jumboing about, that all ties would be severed right when CoH closed?  Well, it's been closed for 2 weeks now!  What are we waiting for?) would be better than trying  to wait until after the new layer of trouble and control takes over....
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 04:38:17 AM by Surelle »

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 04:46:05 AM »
I know it is very hard to be patient.  Two weeks seems like an eternity.  In the eyes of a company the size of Disney, that's just enough time to open one eye and notice that there is something moving at the edge of your vision.

Short of dredging up about 10 million dollars, the best thing we can do right now is keep our visibility high, recruit other game/fan groups to help us out (that includes the Colbert Nation), and wait and see.  Not what you wanted to hear, I know, but it's all I can offer.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 10:13:23 AM »
It's tough, because Asheron's Call 2 is their own game, and they self-publish all their games.  They aren't very big to begin with, and they have never paid another studio to do anything for them.  So I kinda think they're out.

I sent my letters to Disney, but frankly I'm not holding my breath on that one either, nice though it would be.  This endeavor was not by invitation-- it was a shot in the dark lobbed at an unsuspecting target, who may well consider us harassers by this point.  Let's face it, they are openly making moves to break into the Asian market with their brand-new gaming franchises, and here we are with our 8 1/2 year old game having just been shut down by a very large, if not the largest, Asian MMORPG publisher.  (Of course, we had no idea about the direction Disney was taking with their online gaming when Team Wildcard made their pitch, but still.)  And CoH (though I love it as much as anyone) bombed in Asia besides.  I'm not getting my hopes up too far on this one.

I still think Valve would be a better option (they make money off one-shot sales-- even their online shooter facets are F2P so CoH's monthly fees may well interest them, and as they don't run massively multiplayer games, it may be more worth it to them to rehire as much of PS as they can to develop and run CoH).  But the best option of all would be for Brian Clayton to re-forge his financial alliances and make another offer for CoH similarly to what he tried to do this past September.  In reality, no one else is going to care even remotely as much about CoH as he and PS do.

But who knows, what with this crazy new "wholly-owned subsidiary" thing going down on December 24th, NCSoft may not even want to think about CoH or risk dredging it up for a sale so that it entangles these other proceedings of theirs.  I more than suspect that this whole big deal thing is why CoH was shut down in such a knee-jerk fashion to begin with-- in preparation for this new total transfer of stock.

I just wish we knew whether having Brian go in to rescue CoH BEFORE this new subsidiary steps in (isn't that what Fansy was mumbo-jumboing about, that all ties would be severed right when CoH closed?  Well, it's been closed for 2 weeks now!  What are we waiting for?) would be better than trying  to wait until after the new layer of trouble and control takes over....

I earlier laid out what we are facing if the game is purchased. I would be very surprised to see it open in less than 6 months and more likely a year.

This is sad but it is also how to do it right. A fly by night wham bam opening would in the long term cost a lot of money that could endanger the stability of the game if it did reopen.

Surelle

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 10:20:02 PM »
I know it is very hard to be patient.  Two weeks seems like an eternity.  In the eyes of a company the size of Disney, that's just enough time to open one eye and notice that there is something moving at the edge of your vision.

Short of dredging up about 10 million dollars, the best thing we can do right now is keep our visibility high, recruit other game/fan groups to help us out (that includes the Colbert Nation), and wait and see.  Not what you wanted to hear, I know, but it's all I can offer.

This Monday will make 3 weeks since Team Wildcard's pitch hit Disney's desk, expensive signed delivery and all though, right? 

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 04:19:13 AM »
This Monday will make 3 weeks since Team Wildcard's pitch hit Disney's desk, expensive signed delivery and all though, right?

In the life cycle of a business, 3 weeks is like 3 hours to you and me.