Author Topic: Are we going to wait for an answer from Disney before others are approached  (Read 15045 times)

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
 im just wondering.. if Disney isnt the only option.. why not start approaching others..

Quinch

Basically, we're giving them a head-start, as a courtesy and to show that they're our first choice. Also, it bears keeping in mind that even though we've fed the Mouse information that isn't publicly available, it's quite possible that other publishers' eyes were caught by the publicity the Disney pitch drummed up, and might already be making overtures of their own based on the information that is widely available.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
So, you can neither confirm nor deny... ;)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Surelle

Basically, we're giving them a head-start, as a courtesy and to show that they're our first choice. Also, it bears keeping in mind that even though we've fed the Mouse information that isn't publicly available, it's quite possible that other publishers' eyes were caught by the publicity the Disney pitch drummed up, and might already be making overtures of their own based on the information that is widely available.

Is that hint you just gave that others might be offering for CoH right now based on your own inside information, or is it just your against-all-odds hope there, Quinch?   :D

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
I asked the other day in another thread if we might not start moving forward on reaching out to more sources.

It seems to me sooner would be better than later.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
I have mentioned that I love you all, right?  My gods, you have boundless energy....

OK let me here lay out in pixels what our basic marketing strategy. 

We hit Disney with the pitch a week before the shutdown on the infinitesimally small chance they MIGHT have moved to delay the shutdown. 

Knowing this probably would not happen, we used that timeframe anyway as a chance to get 3 weeks of activity in before Christmas news overwhelmed everything else, and to give the Disney Dragon a chance to open one eye and notice something before---

---everything stopped two weeks before Christmas.  If you have ever worked in a big business whose main function is not affected by Christmas, you know that two weeks before Christmas, as everyone takes vacation time, everything stops.   Same for one week after Christmas.   And if your business IS tied in with Christmas, it is worse.

So realistically we do not expect to hear ANYTHING until a week into the new year. 

Brian knows some people in the upper echelons of Disney Interactive.  He is going to put a bug in their ears to (1) find out if they know anything and (2) let them know quietly this is not some crazy fan idea, this really is a viable opportunity and he backs it.

So, step one for me, remind Larry to contact Darren first to find out if we have ANY chance.  I do not want to waste your time on something he knows is going to get shut down at Google.  One I know that, I know where we need to take it from there.

Everyone good with this?
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
Dear lady, while our political leanings differ vastly - ANY savior for the game is fine by me as long as they have proven backing. I would hate to see a fly-by-night acquisition where someone over reaches but buys the game and then folds after a year tying up the IP for 2-3 years in a bankruptcy.

That along with never getting it out of NCSoft's hands is my only fears.

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave

That along with never getting it out of NCSoft's hands is my only fears.

that is the only thing that bothers me to. trying to wrestle it out of their hands.

@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
  im just wondering.. if Disney isnt the only option.. why not start approaching others..
I assumed because it sounds sort of impolite.  "Hey, we have this really great idea and we want you to consider how good it could be for your company.  You don't mind if we tell your competitors, do you?

I can say with full certainty, that dreck don't work for selling floor space at a Gaming Convention.  Tried to warn a friend of mine who went into the Convention Business with that attitude.  Fortunately he and his partners incorporated so they did not lose all their assets completely when they went $40k in the hole.
So, step one for me, remind Larry to contact Darren first to find out if we have ANY chance.  I do not want to waste your time on something he knows is going to get shut down at Google.  One I know that, I know where we need to take it from there.

Everyone good with this?
Works for me Bawz.  I'm mailing four letters a week until we switch targets.

Menrva Channel

• Boss
So realistically we do not expect to hear ANYTHING until a week into the new year. 

That's almost as bad as waiting to open presents and you're still a week away from Christmas, lol. Still, anything good is worth the wait. :) Thanks again for trying this. :D

I was curious, was Mircosoft ever an option? (A "just in case" should Disney pass?--I am really hoping they don't... but... it's always good to have a back up plan.)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: Are we going to wait for an answer from Disney before others are approached
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 04:47:28 AM »
Microsoft is on the list. 
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 04:51:55 AM »

That would be rather amusing, as CO was the result of Microsoft and Marvel pulling out of their deal with Cryptic :P
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 04:59:51 AM »
That would be rather amusing, as CO was the result of Microsoft and Marvel pulling out of their deal with Cryptic :P

Well Microsoft pulled out of the deal before the game was even in beta, and I suspect pulled out because Marvel pulled out first.  At least we can say that CoX is a fully functioning game with demonstrable cash flow.

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 05:21:06 AM »

This bit of information and some others you have made mention of make me quite certain my hypothetical list isn't as inaccurate as I originally thought. This makes me happy.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »
Well Microsoft pulled out of the deal before the game was even in beta, and I suspect pulled out because Marvel pulled out first.

Microsoft's publicly stated reason seems honest enough to me.

There was one game (WoW) that was in their eyes "successful enough" and all other levels of success would be a failure.

Say what you will about Microsoft (I like them sometimes, dislike them others) they are a company of high highs and low lows, and they aren't happy with being boring or in the middle. Unless its boringly developing Microsoft Office that seems to only still be widely used because its the industry standard, not due to development making it better.

I can't be the only one who hates the ribbon interface.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 02:32:48 PM »
Unless its boringly developing Microsoft Office that seems to only still be widely used because its the industry standard, not due to development making it better.

I can't be the only one who hates the ribbon interface.
To be fair, that was an attempt by them to make it better. It failed, but they were trying to innovate something better than the old menus. Honestly, I think the only major mistake of it was not having "classic" office menu either as well or as an option to which you could switch with an easy-to-find toggle. (Because yes, even after years of using the annoying ribbon layout, I STILL can't find some things until I ask somebody where to find them or google for a tutorial for that specific feature, whereas I could navigate the old menu system to find things I hoped might exist but wasn't sure did and successfully find them.)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 06:04:51 PM »
Microsoft's publicly stated reason seems honest enough to me.

There was one game (WoW) that was in their eyes "successful enough" and all other levels of success would be a failure.

This makes me think Microsoft is probably further down the list (or should be). Disney may be huge and perhaps institutionalized, but it is good at compartmentalizing and specializing. Microsoft considers anything that isn't a huge success to be a failure.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 07:35:08 PM »
To be fair, that was an attempt by them to make it better.

You're right, you're right. They did try and I can't really argue that they took a risk with it. Better luck next time I suppose?

This makes me think Microsoft is probably further down the list (or should be). Disney may be huge and perhaps institutionalized, but it is good at compartmentalizing and specializing. Microsoft considers anything that isn't a huge success to be a failure.

Very good points :) Honestly its weird considering that you'd think such a big company would understand the value of something that does well but isn't amazing. Considering they only make a usable OS every-other-one these days, the Zune . . .

But this is coming from someone who installed the Japanese "Nanami" theme for Windows 7 upon install, so I'm by no means a Microsoft basher. I just sometimes wanna sigh and shake my head.

Now if someone starts trying to get me to mail Apple on the other hand...
Woo! - Argent Girl

Menrva Channel

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 08:01:39 PM »
Microsoft considers anything that isn't a huge success to be a failure.

Maybe a devoted fan base really pushing to have the game come back would be something to pique their interest? I mean, it has to be worth something and successful if we all want it back so bad. :)

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 08:26:19 PM »
Maybe a devoted fan base really pushing to have the game come back would be something to pique their interest? I mean, it has to be worth something and successful if we all want it back so bad. :)

This is a very good point :)

Honestly it surprises me that the PR boost of saving a game hasn't made any sharks in the water smell the sweet sweet blood of a good buy.

Wait. I think I kinda failed at metaphors there...
Woo! - Argent Girl