Author Topic: Are we going to wait for an answer from Disney before others are approached  (Read 15055 times)

Surelle

Re: Are we going to wait for an answer from Disney before others are approached
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 09:58:11 PM »
This is a very good point :)

Honestly it surprises me that the PR boost of saving a game hasn't made any sharks in the water smell the sweet sweet blood of a good buy.

Wait. I think I kinda failed at metaphors there...

Haha, but at the same time, ick on that metaphor.

Yeah, I have wondered the same thing since the shut down announcement myself.  I'd say that basically the entire MMO gaming industry knows NCSoft shut down City of Heroes by now.  You'd think *someone* out of all those tons of companies, publishers, distributors or development houses would have offered to buy the CoH IP off NCSoft by now.

These forums have claimed that the only offer made was by Brian Clayton with his backers, but then again I heard early on that TonyV had a group trying too.  I'm happy for whomever tried, but you'd think there would have been a lot more actual financed, professional publishing groups trying.

Most gamers I talk to already know CoH was closed down.  But all of them have told me the same thing:  "Yeah, but it was really old and had a long run."   :-\

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 10:09:53 PM »
Most of the gamers I know add in "that's BS" after the story is explained more indepth at least!
Woo! - Argent Girl

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 02:10:25 AM »
It's possible that other parties that might be interested are waiting to see how far off its stance of "we're not selling" NCSoft can be pushed. 
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 03:09:12 AM »
Most of the gamers I know add in "that's BS" after the story is explained more indepth at least!

Exactly! IMO, that's how we know we're not just "whiners who can't let go". The majority of those who take the time to get the full story, agree with us that the game did not in any way deserve this. Which indicates that this a battle worth fighting. So if fighting it effectively takes more time than we'd like, so be it. Sometimes patience is just as much a key to victory as action.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 08:21:20 PM »
Yeah, I have wondered the same thing since the shut down announcement myself.  I'd say that basically the entire MMO gaming industry knows NCSoft shut down City of Heroes by now.  You'd think *someone* out of all those tons of companies, publishers, distributors or development houses would have offered to buy the CoH IP off NCSoft by now.

We don't know they haven't; all we know is that no one has succeeded. If someone tried, then depending on the reception they got from NCSoft, they may not want to announce how hard they got slapped in the face with their offer.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 08:34:30 PM »
We don't know they haven't; all we know is that no one has succeeded. If someone tried, then depending on the reception they got from NCSoft, they may not want to announce how hard they got slapped in the face with their offer.

If we only knew the offers made, and how NCSoft handled it, I have a feeling we could use it as leverage.

Alas.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2012, 02:59:33 AM »
UPDATE:

Larry finally got around to giving me Darren New's email addresses and I managed to catch him before he went to Panama for Christmas...

/em envy

...anyway, the short form is he did NOT immediately shut down the idea of Google Play acquiring and supporting CoH.  He promised to get with the appropriate Higher Ups over at Google Play when he (and they, evidently you could shoot a cannon off in the office right now and not inconvenience anyone) gets back from vacation.  He told me to expect to hear from him the second week in January. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 06:38:25 AM by Victoria Victrix »
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 03:03:29 AM »
He told me to expect to hear from him the second week in January.

VV, you are officially my favorite person of the day.

Thank you for your wisdom in what to keep to the chest, and what to share to inspire/bolster/etc the troops :)

This holiday season has been a bit of a downer, so even a wait for bad news feels welcome! Here's to hoping for an interesting January.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2012, 05:09:57 AM »
I must admit, I have learned vastly more about Marketing, Public Relations, Business Ethics, and Corporate Communication in the past few months than I did in three years of college. ^_^
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2012, 05:43:37 AM »
the only thing ive really disliked from microsoft recently was windows 8, i HATE it so much, it is possibly one of the worst designed PC OS i have ever seen

it looks great for tablets, but its an awful design for desktops

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2012, 06:40:06 AM »
UPDATE:

Larry finally got around to giving me Darren New's email addresses and I managed to catch him before he went to Panama for Christmas...

/em envy

...anyway, the short form is he did NOT immediately shut down the idea of Google Play acquiring and supporting CoH.  He promised to get with the appropriate Higher Ups over at Google Play when he (and they, evidently you could shoot a cannon off in the office right now and not inconvenience anyway) gets back from vacation.  He told me to expect to hear from him the second week in January.

And they won't want to turn the IP exclusively into a mobile game? *crosses fingers*

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2012, 07:33:59 AM »
And they won't want to turn the IP exclusively into a mobile game? *crosses fingers*

I will make sure to emphasize the fact that most CoH players would not play a 2D mobile CoH game if it came with a free car and free beer for a year.  BUT that there are a LOT of aps we would definitely use that are mobile! (Game Chat, Auction house, for instance)

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 01:00:17 PM »
I will make sure to emphasize the fact that most CoH players would not play a 2D mobile CoH game if it came with a free car and free beer for a year.  BUT that there are a LOT of aps we would definitely use that are mobile! (Game Chat, Auction house, for instance)

Complete agreement on both points. I could see an app that tracks inventory and inf across all your characters and any SGs you're in. And I've always wanted a kind of "crisis monitor", some way to tell which zone events and giant monsters were currently active. More often than not the only way I knew one was running was when I saw the mesage that it ended.

Edit: Ooh... how about one where you run what amounts to an investigation or a crime spree, and after finishing each "story arc" you receive an ingame item in your email, probably small consumables like dual insps or tailor tokens. After you progress far enough you can talk to an ingame contact who'll give you access to a random safeguard/mayhem mission. A lot of people wanted access to those outside the restrictions of level-specific teaming.

Yeah, I can see a LOT of potential with tie-in apps.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 01:19:31 PM by Triplash »

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2012, 02:15:13 PM »

If they kept the game itself in tact, I would totally try any mobile version they added to it. I'm not a mobile gamer, but CoH on the go would be awesome if it was an add on to the existing game. Maybe some mini games or a mobile version of the in game events. That could be fun and maybe bring in new players to the complete game. But yeah, I'm sure google can figure it out better than me. Just so long as they don't turn it soley into an app, I'm good.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2012, 12:08:57 AM »
...anyway, the short form is he did NOT immediately shut down the idea of Google Play acquiring and supporting CoH.  He promised to get with the appropriate Higher Ups over at Google Play when he (and they, evidently you could shoot a cannon off in the office right now and not inconvenience anyway) gets back from vacation.  He told me to expect to hear from him the second week in January.

From the descriptions and pictures of the Google offices I've seen, if you set up a cannon in their offices and fired it, the only 'inconvenience' would be the work stoppage from other employees coming out and setting up a target, rigging up a sight for the cannon, and getting in line to fire it themselves...

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2012, 12:07:00 AM »
I'm suddenly flashing on the episode of The Big Bang Theory, where the guys start "helping" Penny make and sell either hair clips or pins.

Everything's better with Bluetooth!
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."