Author Topic: Beware "My Millionaire Friend"  (Read 25173 times)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
Re: Beware "My Millionaire Friend"
« Reply #100 on: December 25, 2012, 06:55:54 PM »

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #101 on: December 25, 2012, 06:56:20 PM »

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #102 on: December 25, 2012, 06:57:50 PM »
While off topic discussion is healthy for a community remaining friendly, I think this topic has veered so far away from something belonging in the "Save Paragon City!" part of the forum that I think it might be best to either start a new thread elsewhere, or drop the topic.

Its just getting a little out of hand...

We apologize for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible have been sacked.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #103 on: December 25, 2012, 08:18:59 PM »
Absolute rubbish.

To maintain a weight of 280 lbs requires more calories than to maintain a weight of 180 assuming similar lifestyle.

Somebody weighing 280, eating the amount of calories required to maintain 180 will lose weight.

I know, I've lost nearly 40 lbs eating more calories than my more active friend who's steady at about half my weight.
I'd guess it depends on the lifestyle, actually. Considering calorie is needed for three things: chemical activity (also called metabolism, including food processing, heat, and baseline living), physical activity, and brain activity.

Normally brain activity is the same for everybody, or is in a baseline. You don't really burn less calorie when you think less, you just get fatigued more or less rapidly.

What's different in a "thin" person and a "fat" person, is heat dispersion. If you look at a person with thermal vision, you'll notice thin people tend to let go of more heat than fat people (if you've got some fat, you could also get naked a bit and touch it after an hour, it'll be colder than no-fat places, for instance, under your arm, even if you let it lifted so that heat doesn't build up). Don't underestimate our hot-bloodness, it does burn a lot of calories, as scientists will tell you, why are insects, fishes and in a less meaningful manner bird, more efficient at producing meat than cattle (cows, sheep, etc), is that they are cold-blooded, less wasted calories into heat !

For physical activity (even walking), a fat person is going to expend more than a thin one. I think you all get the point.

So if the lifestyle is more car-desk-car-telly-bed than walk-stand-walk-jog-bed, it does put one more at a drain here.

I'm also putting under the carpet the fact that muscles drain more than fat to "live", and that cold food doesn't give all its calories than hot because the body has to heat it. Or how much coffee/tea you're drinking instead of cold water.
Yeeessss....

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #104 on: December 25, 2012, 09:11:03 PM »
I'd guess it depends on the lifestyle, actually. Considering calorie is needed for three things: chemical activity (also called metabolism, including food processing, heat, and baseline living), physical activity, and brain activity.

Normally brain activity is the same for everybody, or is in a baseline. You don't really burn less calorie when you think less, you just get fatigued more or less rapidly.

What's different in a "thin" person and a "fat" person, is heat dispersion. If you look at a person with thermal vision, you'll notice thin people tend to let go of more heat than fat people (if you've got some fat, you could also get naked a bit and touch it after an hour, it'll be colder than no-fat places, for instance, under your arm, even if you let it lifted so that heat doesn't build up). Don't underestimate our hot-bloodness, it does burn a lot of calories, as scientists will tell you, why are insects, fishes and in a less meaningful manner bird, more efficient at producing meat than cattle (cows, sheep, etc), is that they are cold-blooded, less wasted calories into heat !

For physical activity (even walking), a fat person is going to expend more than a thin one. I think you all get the point.

So if the lifestyle is more car-desk-car-telly-bed than walk-stand-walk-jog-bed, it does put one more at a drain here.

I'm also putting under the carpet the fact that muscles drain more than fat to "live", and that cold food doesn't give all its calories than hot because the body has to heat it. Or how much coffee/tea you're drinking instead of cold water.

Birds aren't cold blooded.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #105 on: December 25, 2012, 10:18:37 PM »
Birds aren't cold blooded.
I know, but feathers really shield them well, and while hot blooded, don't need to heat as much. Birds forked from reptiles eons ago, they aren't that far.

That's why governments sometimes fund house isolation... ;) Because that's a waste of energy for the same result ;)
Yeeessss....

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2012, 02:01:47 AM »

tymothymichel

• Underling
« Reply #107 on: December 26, 2012, 07:37:28 AM »
To go way completely off topic....I'm surprised that ncs never offered the "lifetime membership" option that sto, lotro and secret world all have, they could have sold the idea twice and made a bang up profit, rather than just shutting down as they did. Pity it wasn't at the very least on the table...
Don't let stress kill you, let me help.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #108 on: December 26, 2012, 08:01:46 AM »
They never did it because typically a lifetime membership is offered at, or near, launch. And CoH launched in 2004. While 2004 was not the birth of MMOs, it surely was its infancy. Things like lifetime memberships never computed.

On a side note... really? Really...? You're asking why they didn't find a way to take -more- money from us before they shut down? Lifetime memberships or not, they were going to shut down once whatever higher up in NCSoft decided it to be so. Suggesting they should've had lifetime subs wouldn't have fixed that. It only would've ensured we gave money to a company we didn't like.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2012, 08:20:06 AM »

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #110 on: December 26, 2012, 10:15:49 AM »
Somebody please PM me with the link!

Web searching 419 eaters will get you one of the most popular sites.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #111 on: December 26, 2012, 03:40:20 PM »
We apologize for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible have been sacked.
Ahhh, Monty Python quotes :)
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #112 on: December 26, 2012, 06:09:50 PM »
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #113 on: December 26, 2012, 09:01:22 PM »

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #114 on: December 26, 2012, 09:37:38 PM »
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #115 on: December 26, 2012, 09:47:30 PM »
Starsman, what you propose (almost eliminating carbs) is the American orthodoxy, but you'll find British doctors prescribe VERY differently. I'm a type 2 diabetic, and eat a low sugar but pretty normal complex carb, lowish fat diet which is working well. The key for me is simply calories not carbs and hence portion control.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #116 on: December 26, 2012, 10:17:14 PM »
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:41:15 PM by Starsman »

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #117 on: December 26, 2012, 11:12:43 PM »
I'm done with the dietary talk, so you guys debate that among yourselves.

They never did it because typically a lifetime membership is offered at, or near, launch. And CoH launched in 2004. While 2004 was not the birth of MMOs, it surely was its infancy. Things like lifetime memberships never computed.

On a side note... really? Really...? You're asking why they didn't find a way to take -more- money from us before they shut down? Lifetime memberships or not, they were going to shut down once whatever higher up in NCSoft decided it to be so. Suggesting they should've had lifetime subs wouldn't have fixed that. It only would've ensured we gave money to a company we didn't like.

Yeah, if CoH had lifetime subscriptions it would had basically been giving NCSoft more of our money before they closed the game down on us.

It's natural to think, when something like this happens like "How could we had supported the game more? Could I had given more to prevent this!", and maybe wise to think if a game shuts down due to it not making money, but we gotta remember that this game was shut down for reasons other than it not making money. Whatever they may be, as we don't really know for sure.

I think if CoH had adopted Lifetime Subscriptions in 2004, it's not like the game would still be alive right now. There'd just be a small group of people who dumped even MORE money into NCSoft's coffers who got their game closed down on them.

All accounts suggest that the game was making money AND that the switch to Free to Play had increased cash coming in. All evidence suggest that as far as the guys actually 'hands on' with the game, they expected it to continue at least for the foreseeable future, and were busy pumping out loads of new content and power sets and salable items.

That's not something you do if you've been running in the red for a long time, unless there was some suspicious insider trading going on.

tymothymichel

• Underling
« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2012, 08:10:22 PM »

All I know, before you return to being snarky, is that if games that were released in 2001 say like anarchy online are still up and running, I think that if they had offered a lifetime membership, it may have been enough of an incentive to let a server stay online even if there were no updates. Just to keep the lifetimers happy. I know you're upset with ncs, all of us are. No reason to bite a guy's head off, just saying.
Don't let stress kill you, let me help.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2012, 08:57:24 PM »
I can give you my dietary changes that helped me lose 45 pounds so far in the last 6 months.

1. eat protein early in the day - in fact I eat 2 ground turkey patties most mornings for breakfast and a glass of juice either orange or grape.
2. Brunch 10 am or so some nuts or fruit (I like water melon)
3. Lunch usually have a peanut butter and jam sandwich with fruit. Drink water or milk.
4. Dinner eat steak, chicken, fish or venison. I also have a large helping of vegatables.

Take a multivitamin and a BCAA (branch chain amino acid) and the weight will start to fall off slowly. I don't ever look at calories - I look at salt content. If you keep salt under 1800mg a day (with the occasionaly pizza binge) you will lose weight as it limits how much junk you can eat.

I now get almost everyone saying holy cow you look good now. I went from 286 to 241 in 6 months and it seemed effortless. The other trick - walk, just walk and relax for 30 minutes a day on top of the diet changes and you will be amazed at how quickly your body changes. i have always been the large hulking body builder type and now I look like the typical MMA fighter type. Tight and slim is a better look in my eyes especially as I am now 53.