Author Topic: Beware "My Millionaire Friend"  (Read 25167 times)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
Re: Beware "My Millionaire Friend"
« Reply #120 on: December 27, 2012, 09:23:46 PM »

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #121 on: December 27, 2012, 11:18:11 PM »

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2013, 06:08:26 PM »
Events lately make me have to bring this post back. That "millionaire friend" can mean a lot of things, from someone with cash to someone with an "experienced team ready to make your perfect dream come true." Someone comes along offering everyone you are wanting, step back and look at it more carefully. Someone approached me not too long ago offering what is in effect a turnkey game solution, but when I checked it out, turned out that they had a half dozen dead projects in their past, and a history of rapid announcement, then abandonment.

Someone comes along with the "perfect solution" always be wary.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2013, 01:14:40 AM »
Events lately make me have to bring this post back. That "millionaire friend" can mean a lot of things, from someone with cash to someone with an "experienced team ready to make your perfect dream come true." Someone comes along offering everyone you are wanting, step back and look at it more carefully. Someone approached me not too long ago offering what is in effect a turnkey game solution, but when I checked it out, turned out that they had a half dozen dead projects in their past, and a history of rapid announcement, then abandonment.

Someone comes along with the "perfect solution" always be wary.

QFT

When thinking about investing time or money (or both) in a startup game company, always check their track record.  The "turnkey game solution" may turn out to require about 3 years of work developing lore and story.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

no hero

• Lieutenant
  • Regens "do it" solo! :)
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2013, 11:16:53 PM »
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:47:04 AM by no hero »
Samantha:  "I have to ask you a question. It's a good one so think about it. If a Player and a Game love each other, but they just can't seem to get it together, when do you get to that point of enough is enough?"

Jerry:  "Never."

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2013, 03:49:38 AM »
Victoria, then again some of us really had millionare friends, I say had for me cause.. he's gone now. his room mate and sister are still around but niether of them has legal claim to his money, he never asked for anything from me,  always giving instead..

the guy was the head of a game company hence where his money was coming from, that is until he got hit by a truck.

right now his sister is fighting his parents in court for the money and business. his parents are @#$% wads that abbandonned him and his sister when he was 6 and he never heard from them ever then they show up when he's dead to collect the money..

sometimes we do have millionare friends, a real millionare friend proves it, I remember he used to pay for me and a few other friend's CoH subscriptions (his offer). he bought me DCUO on steam and paid for some game time (his offer again. infact he insisted) for me but my computer couldn't run DCUO. (hey DC I'm talking to you, yo wonder why you don't have many players? you wonder why it's so hard to make as much content as in CoH? cause your graphics are too much for the average game player's computer. which also makes it hard on you to develop things)

anyways, lets get back to the topic, real millionares aren't ashamed to say where they are getting money from, they aren't scared to spend a little on friends, cause when you have that much money even 100 a month in game fees doesn't even come close to making you concerned about anything.

I miss him.. used to play as @alanpoe and later changed it to @thatsmesothere

before he died he made me the head of his supergroup... it's really my memories of him that make me so intensely desperate for the game to return especially with all our progress/ SG's intact.

now I gotta go calm down.. GRRRR NCSOFT!!!!!!! I will do anything it takes to see CoH back.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2013, 04:51:40 AM »
Victoria, then again some of us really had millionare friends, I say had for me cause.. he's gone now. his room mate and sister are still around but niether of them has legal claim to his money, he never asked for anything from me,  always giving instead..

the guy was the head of a game company hence where his money was coming from, that is until he got hit by a truck.

right now his sister is fighting his parents in court for the money and business. his parents are @#$% wads that abbandonned him and his sister when he was 6 and he never heard from them ever then they show up when he's dead to collect the money..

sometimes we do have millionare friends, a real millionare friend proves it, I remember he used to pay for me and a few other friend's CoH subscriptions (his offer). he bought me DCUO on steam and paid for some game time (his offer again. infact he insisted) for me but my computer couldn't run DCUO. (hey DC I'm talking to you, yo wonder why you don't have many players? you wonder why it's so hard to make as much content as in CoH? cause your graphics are too much for the average game player's computer. which also makes it hard on you to develop things)

anyways, lets get back to the topic, real millionares aren't ashamed to say where they are getting money from, they aren't scared to spend a little on friends, cause when you have that much money even 100 a month in game fees doesn't even come close to making you concerned about anything.

I miss him.. used to play as @alanpoe and later changed it to @thatsmesothere

before he died he made me the head of his supergroup... it's really my memories of him that make me so intensely desperate for the game to return especially with all our progress/ SG's intact.

now I gotta go calm down.. GRRRR NCSOFT!!!!!!! I will do anything it takes to see CoH back.

Wow he sounded liek a friendly guy.

I knwo a couple of millionaires myself and not many are as friendly as that. Some are cheap buggers. One was a little more carefree. And another was born into it and could be a butt at times but wasnt afraid to help people out. Then there are some that are not millionaires but have enough cash that they are very comfortable and a couple of them are near millionaires. One (not sure if they are millionaire or not but they are loaded. He tends to be hush hush about it but his wife said a while back that money is not even any longer an issue) wife played the game extensively but uhm...she's still a little steamed about some stuff so it will be hard sell to get him to invest in a game if and when the time come. He personally dont play video games at all but she do and if she say she want to invest he will put into it how ever much she says to but if she say no he wont put a dime into it. But he can be a gold mine. He know many multi-millionaires who basically do nothing but invest in stuff and he is good at convincing as that is how he made his fortune well that and the 450,000 inheritance that got him starte. But it all depends on his gamer wife and what she said. Last time I mentioned COX and the projects she kind of looked at me as if she wanted to rip my head off and play soccer with it. I'll give it a few more weeks and try again maybe she cooled down by then. 

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2013, 05:29:32 AM »
It's a curious thing about millionaires/moneyed people when and how they got their fortunes; whether it was inherited recently or over long generations or even recently earned (e.g. Andrew Carnegie, philanthropist who used part of his wealth to create public libraries in towns and cities lacking them.)   I believe I am already OUT, per se, so this won't be shocking, but for a time once I dated the grown son of millionaires; he was actually a really nice guy but the crowd he was with all knew he had money.  He liked me because I wasn't at all interested in his wealth but liked him for himself - his friends however all knew he had money, often had a bit of it themselves, and in social settings it was evident that all of his so-called friends mostly valued Michael for his money and/or how he could help them get ahead in the money game.  Ironically, i did most of the driving since his car-for-use wasn't collectible (he had 3 others) yet he hated to drive it because mileage depreciated the value; whereas my vehicle, like my life, is purely for use.

(Oversharing)  I suppose if I had played my cards right, i might have "enjoyed" a life in the lap of luxury as a bird in a gilded cage - but that wasn't for me, nor ever shall be.  As a friend once remarked, "Everyone should have the opportunity to marry at least once for money, and then have the good sense to reject it!"  Needless to say she's now wonderfully, happily married, tho it took a few years for she and her beloved to get their attunement and timing to the proper level.   ;)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2013, 02:46:02 PM »
I am the richest person I know....I just don't have much money
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2013, 03:10:21 AM »
I am the richest person I know....I just don't have much money
ROFLMAO, Healix!!  That's so true!  Many people (not just fans) are rich far beyond money, and often have more fun, are more civil, more social, even better educated (e.g. who else knows gaming and other trivia like us?!)  Poor dears, if all they have is money.  Maybe that's why Mr. Donald Trump seems so angry much of the time.  I actually feel kinda sorry for the upper elite who, despite having all that money can buy, still have sorrow, unhappiness, and even misery, just like everybody else.

Omitting the quote about being good to one another.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2013, 07:42:56 AM »
ROFLMAO, Healix!!  That's so true!  Many people (not just fans) are rich far beyond money, and often have more fun, are more civil, more social, even better educated (e.g. who else knows gaming and other trivia like us?!)  Poor dears, if all they have is money.  Maybe that's why Mr. Donald Trump seems so angry much of the time.  I actually feel kinda sorry for the upper elite who, despite having all that money can buy, still have sorrow, unhappiness, and even misery, just like everybody else.

Omitting the quote about being good to one another.
I think that the best rich (in a monetary sense) people are those who grew up poor, remember what it was like, and remember that there is more to life than money.

If I were to win the lottery and acquire $350M as winnings, I think I'd keep only $5M for myself. The rest would go to close personal friends, family (close and personal), and maybe buy CoH from NCSoft. Which, I would then either give to Matt Miller and Melissa Bianco, or form a company and get them as the lead Devs to run the game. I'm not a businessman, so I don't really know what all I'd need to do to run a company...  :o

What would I do with more than $5M anyway?
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2013, 05:16:20 PM »

Sounds about right to me. Now, if I could only get the opportunity to find out.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2013, 05:42:38 PM »
Be a big enough player to get NCSoft to name you a price for CoH lock, stock, and barrel, and then say "sure?"

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #133 on: February 18, 2013, 06:23:55 PM »
  I actually feel kinda sorry for the upper elite who, despite having all that money can buy, still have sorrow, unhappiness, and even misery, just like everybody else.

Yeah money dont buy happiness but can be used to buy things that make you happy.

And sorrow, misery, unhappiness, is a persona matter that no materialistic thing can change. Some people will always be unhappy whether they have 2 dollars or 20 billion. Some people will be miserable, while others will be happy whether they have 2 cents or 30 million. Although I rather be miserable in a mansion with million rather than miserable and living in a box.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2013, 07:10:51 PM »
Money may not buy happiness, but it does make life SO much easier.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2013, 08:51:04 PM »
Money may not buy happiness, but it does make life SO much easier.
yup, very much easier.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #136 on: February 18, 2013, 09:26:35 PM »
My mother used to work as a atx consultant for a Mr. Pat Patrick, who was a very rich multimillionaire. He had 5 Indy car racing teams and was a really nice guy. He once saw me waiting to pick my mother up from work and asked who I was waiting for - yes he would often go down to the lobby to talk to visitors - I said who it was and he said well what are you doing this weekend? I had no plans and said if you like we have a race at MIS (Michigan International Speedway) and I can give you 6 tickets for the pits and you can go to our Winnebago and eat and drink whatever you like as long as you leave after the race so the drivers can relax.

It was an awesome weekend!

Then he also had a kid who mowed his lawns and he asked him what he wanted to do with his life? The kid replied I would love to learn to work in a pitcrew in racing - the next week the kid had a small job and actually worked his way up to running his own crew. This nice guy also had two very spoiled children who were absolutely worthless and just wanted daddies money.

They both ended up with drugs and alcohol problems and I don't believe ever amounted to much. So money can help make you comfortable but it doesn't make you happy.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #137 on: February 18, 2013, 09:29:01 PM »
Money: The cheat code to life, universe and everything.
And like every cheat code, it murders the challenge.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.