Author Topic: Beware "My Millionaire Friend"  (Read 25171 times)

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
Re: Beware "My Millionaire Friend"
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »
And she's the sort that would chuckle at "hoping for a statistically anomalous favorable outcome on your situation" as well.

I'd say something along those lines, heh.

I don't have a twitter account myself, but this whole CoX situation has me pondering signing up.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 06:43:20 PM by corvus1970 »
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
there are people out there taking advantage of fellow fighters trying to get their game back?

Where are they so I can go kick their ass up one side of the street and back down the other?

Menrva Channel

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 08:54:46 PM »
Well I know what would make Melissa's day.

If you guys have her twitter handle, since she is a good, kind and sincere Christian (and one of the sort that is a GOOD example of a Christian) if you could tweet her telling her you are all praying for her (or whatever variant on that you want) I know she would like it.   And she's the sort that would chuckle at "hoping for a statistically anomalous favorable outcome on your situation" as well.

Having it come on a Sunday would be even better.

If there is anything else I can come up with (and I intend to ask Brian) I will let you know.

Anyone have the Twitter handles for Posi and WW?  I am very new to the Twitter sphere but I'd love to drop a word of encouragement for them.

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 09:06:13 PM »
If you guys have her twitter handle, since she is a good, kind and sincere Christian (and one of the sort that is a GOOD example of a Christian) if you could tweet her telling her you are all praying for her (or whatever variant on that you want) I know she would like it.

O.o

I had no idea. That's awesome! I love to see fellow Christians be able to play and do things that others deem "bad." Such as playing games.

I hope as a minister I can help gamers understand that being a Christian is possible, and let 'Christians' and Christians know it's just fine to be one. Bianco is a great example, and role model. Thanks for sharing that, VV. That made my day. :)

(Wish I had/would do twitter to thank/pray for her. :/)
- Omega Mk. V

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2012, 09:31:44 PM »
O.o

I had no idea. That's awesome! I love to see fellow Christians be able to play and do things that others deem "bad." Such as playing games.

I hope as a minister I can help gamers understand that being a Christian is possible, and let 'Christians' and Christians know it's just fine to be one. Bianco is a great example, and role model. Thanks for sharing that, VV. That made my day. :)

I love to hear stuff like this as well. Most people who assume that all stereotypes "must be true" don't realize there are plenty of people out there who don't perpetuate them.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2012, 09:51:50 PM »
Anyone have the Twitter handles for Posi and WW?  I am very new to the Twitter sphere but I'd love to drop a word of encouragement for them.

@MMODesigner is Posi.
@MelissaBianco is... well, take a guess. :P

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2012, 10:42:02 PM »
O.o

Yup, MB is a role model.

The character in Atlas Park called something like "Son of God" spouting extreme fundamentalist Christian views I could do without.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 01:44:26 AM »
I'd say something along those lines, heh.

I don't have a twitter account myself, but this whole CoX situation has me pondering signing up.

It's why I got one.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 02:08:48 AM »
Alright, peer pressure got to me. I'm on Twitter, and I'm following saveCOH, as well as Posi and WW: @Corvus1970
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 02:15:20 AM by corvus1970 »
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Blitzwing

• Lieutenant
  • Boot to the Head!
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 02:59:16 AM »
there are people out there taking advantage of fellow fighters trying to get their game back?

Where are they so I can go kick their ass up one side of the street and back down the other?

You're too late...I already Trip Mined them...BUT, if you must know, they're over there....and over there...and waaaaaaay back there....  ;)

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 03:11:05 AM »
It's why I got one.

Same here.

@RaineHeartfall is mine. I named my twitter account after my main.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 02:11:01 PM »
Well, she'd be unlikely to sue you for suggesting it as an online post (though it might make her mad, I don't know), but if you were to start to collect money in her name while suggesting she was going to start up a company with the money you've collected she'd have no choice but to sue you or end up liable for a lot of fraud settlements.

I agree with you.  I've not set up an account to take money nor would I.  My idea was simply to ask whether the fans here thought there would be interest in investing in new development at the monthly subscription rate.  I expected arguments against it would include but not be limited to: there's not enough player interest in this; the devs wouldn't be interested; other problems related to monthly investment with nothing/little to show.  I never imagined lawsuits as a consequence of suggesting the idea.  I'm clueless as to what the basis for such an action would be.  That said, I withdraw the suggestion.  Besides my meager disability pension and few assets would make the legal costs of suing unlikely to be cost-effective.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 02:51:08 PM »
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 03:10:03 PM »

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 03:25:16 PM »
I am a native American and follow my tribes beliefs. However any religion that espouses love, honor, duty and defense of home and family has my full support.

I see a world based on a Judeo-Christian ethic as overall very positive. Having studied comparative religions, I can say I personally enjoy the Zen mindset and use that to balance my overly aggressive nature. Having taken the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI-2) test for my daughter when she was getting her masters in Psycology - it was found I am basically the flatline standard for sanity (scares me to think it) however my aggression level is off the charts. I have studied martial arts for over 37 years and so have found the Zen teachings to be very much a balancing factor for me.

Since studying many of the principles put forth in the Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi http://www.bookoffiverings.com/ - I have found peace and and tranquility. Life and death walk hand in hand and for every tool there is a use. I have come to understand I am a man of violence and understand well its application to the human condition. This doesn't mean I can't love children, pets and my family. It just means I am singularly qualified to understand threats of violence to people and how to respond to prevent, stop or react to such actions by others.

In my family and circle of friends I am the go to guy to resolve such issues. I often hear - how is it you talk to these people and they just stop? I speak the language they understand. Threats are just that and often just fan the flames, a very simple and quiet statement - if you continue in this manner I will personally make sure you answer for it, has always worked for me. 

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 03:29:25 PM »
Generally, like anything else, the reality is very different from the stereotype, which is usually encouraged with the excuse that it's "better TV." My observations show it really being mostly American Christians who tend toward this steroetype, and my Facebook wall is full of it in recent days.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 03:31:01 PM »
Generally, like anything else, the reality is very different from the stereotype, which is usually encouraged with the excuse that it's "better TV."

yeah.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 03:33:11 PM »
All I can say is, speaking as an American Christian who hangs out with a fair number of the same, the typical American Christian has a lot more in common with Miss Bianco than with the stereotype.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2012, 03:37:40 PM »
There is a misperception of Christianity in the more agnostic and atheistic sectors of our society that assumes the religion is restrictive to the point of self-righteous anal-retentiveness. While there are examples of such people proclaiming the christian faith, they are not nearly as pervasive as those outside it tend to believe. I'm not sure why there is this desire to assume Christianity is a hateful, narrow-minded faith that denies one any ability to have fun or participate in the real world without looking like you're squelching through the most disgusting mire you can imagine, but there is, and it pervades popular culture.

This is the big can of worms I did not want to open, because for one: Omega Mark V, who I replied to and was the one to be pleasantly surprised about another Christian gamer, IS a Christian AND a minister. So bringing agnostic and atheistic discussions is already bringing in a topic that had nothing to do with the conversation.

I know where you are coming from (and have my share to say in that topic,) but this here is about Christians perceptions of games, as observed by other Christians or people that were raised as Christians. Let's not go into the other groups here. :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:43:56 PM by Starsman »
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2012, 03:41:48 PM »
In that case, it's pretty straight-forward: Probably most American gamers are Christians. Maybe only sunday-christmas-easter types, but still. I don't think there's this broad-based Christian animosity towards games and gamers. It's an illusion.