Author Topic: Beware "My Millionaire Friend"  (Read 25170 times)

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
Re: Beware "My Millionaire Friend"
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2012, 09:19:51 PM »
Except being American. ;)
Still has a lot more in common with her than with the stereotype. :P

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2012, 09:22:01 PM »
Still has a lot more in common with her than with the stereotype. :P

Different countries likely have different views on the stereotype in question, but yes.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

Kadrok

• Underling
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2012, 09:44:03 PM »
"Gentlemen. Your conversation makes interesting listening."

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2012, 10:04:34 PM »
There is a misperception of Christianity in the more agnostic and atheistic sectors of our society that assumes the religion is restrictive to the point of self-righteous anal-retentiveness. While there are examples of such people proclaiming the christian faith, they are not nearly as pervasive as those outside it tend to believe. I'm not sure why there is this desire to assume Christianity is a hateful, narrow-minded faith that denies one any ability to have fun or participate in the real world without looking like you're squelching through the most disgusting mire you can imagine, but there is, and it pervades popular culture.

Thus, people react with shock and amazement if a Christian illustrates "open-mindedness" to the point that they can do things that "normal" people do.

Usually, no harm nor offense is meant. It's just how their expectations diverge from reality. Add in that many Christians don't bother to profess their faith unless it comes up in an important way, because to them it's as normal as having a job, and people just don't realize that the normal dude they've been hanging out with is a Christian. After all, he's not trying to burn witches or scourge homosexuals through the streets or talking about how pop music is Satan's work, and that's the unfortunate and unfair stereotype (that even most people who knee-jerk to picturing it will generally agree is unfair when they stop to think about it).

What I always find funny about the perception of Christians and gaming- my Pastor has played in several D and D campaigns, though he favors my Champions pnp game. And I am a Baptist.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 08:07:00 AM by Optimus Dex »

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2012, 10:45:28 PM »
There is a misperception of Christianity in the more agnostic and atheistic sectors of our society that assumes the religion is restrictive to the point of self-righteous anal-retentiveness. While there are examples of such people proclaiming the christian faith, they are not nearly as pervasive as those outside it tend to believe. I'm not sure why there is this desire to assume Christianity is a hateful, narrow-minded faith that denies one any ability to have fun or participate in the real world without looking like you're squelching through the most disgusting mire you can imagine, but there is, and it pervades popular culture.

Thus, people react with shock and amazement if a Christian illustrates "open-mindedness" to the point that they can do things that "normal" people do.

Usually, no harm nor offense is meant. It's just how their expectations diverge from reality. Add in that many Christians don't bother to profess their faith unless it comes up in an important way, because to them it's as normal as having a job, and people just don't realize that the normal dude they've been hanging out with is a Christian. After all, he's not trying to burn witches or scourge homosexuals through the streets or talking about how pop music is Satan's work, and that's the unfortunate and unfair stereotype (that even most people who knee-jerk to picturing it will generally agree is unfair when they stop to think about it).

Yeah, it's sad but true- Metallica

On average when you walk by a person and say hey, or converate with them, usually a person's faith dont come up and thus they are not pegged asa Christian and thus people dont think about them i nthe Christian category. Then you have some that beloow hell fire brimstone and "REPENT!!! Or burn in the eternal flames of hell for all eternity!" types (and met quite a few of those) that usually are quick to say they are Christian right off the bat and thus that is how some people paint the entire group even though those people probably dont represent 0.01% of the Christian population. No, I'm not Christian. I'm non-religious. anot atheistm not satanist, not buddist, non-religious. But that is how it works for just about any religion, or group for that matter. Some people think all Republicans are old religious rich guys that only care about money when 99.99% of the time that dont fit the bill. Or some people think all satanists are possessed, eyes rolled in the back of their head black wearing dead language chanting supportors of anarchy. People in general seems to be quick to label a group without ap roper sample and slow to ask questions to get the facts. They just assume.

The other day I was in the store and this old lady came in holding a bible. The person near me said to the person they were with, "Lets go down the next isle. I dont want to deal with a bible thumper today." I didnt think much of it, maybe this lady may have had run in with these people before. But after striking up a convo in line with here come to find out, she found the bible on the ground that had someone name on it in the parking lot and was trying to return it in to the store hoping the owner might still be there. She was an athiest.  Assumptions. The people assumed she was a bible thumper just because she was carrying a bible, one that wasnt even hers and a religion she did not even practice. Just someone doing the kind thing and trying to return someone's property.

Having too ben around the world, I came across a wide range of people and all religion and overall most act like normal humans. Some get wasted, some dont, some go the clubs, some play games, some do neither, some havent read the bible in years, some read it everyday with a glass of good scotch, some are hell fire and brimstone, some will curse you out in a heartbeat, some will steal, some will not, some only hang out with other devouts, other hang out with a group of pagans, some dont care what you believe in, some it's important, some have family, some have kids, some go to church some dont, some like dogs, some like cats, some drive Mercedes Benz, some drive Fords, even I knew one that hada Yugo (interesting piece of machinery), some dye their hair, some dont, some get implants, some eat only meat, some are vegan, and so on. No one label actually describe any religious group because in the end of the day they are still people and still just as diverse.

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2012, 10:56:12 PM »
People are people.  That's it, we're all just people.

And why did I hear that in Nathan Fillion's voice?

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2012, 10:57:57 PM »
Because Nathan Fillion is awesome, that's why.

Reminds me when Kirk said "You know what, Spock? Everybody's human."
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2012, 11:17:16 PM »
Hmm...

Mal vs Kirk.

Mal would probably shoot Kirk, just for the bad acting.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2012, 11:27:05 PM »
Probably. But a fistfight between them would be hilarious!
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2012, 12:00:22 AM »
Probably last at least 12 minutes.

Sunglasses may or may not have been involved.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2012, 12:56:37 AM »
Hrm, good point. Let's hold off on that one, shall we?

Sorry. It's a really good idea. I didn't mean to deflate it.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2012, 01:16:05 AM »
I agree with you.  I've not set up an account to take money nor would I.  My idea was simply to ask whether the fans here thought there would be interest in investing in new development at the monthly subscription rate.  I expected arguments against it would include but not be limited to: there's not enough player interest in this; the devs wouldn't be interested; other problems related to monthly investment with nothing/little to show.  I never imagined lawsuits as a consequence of suggesting the idea.  I'm clueless as to what the basis for such an action would be.  That said, I withdraw the suggestion.  Besides my meager disability pension and few assets would make the legal costs of suing unlikely to be cost-effective.

Defamation of character in an attempt to link her name with a money-making scheme.  She would HAVE to sue you in order to decouple her name from someone trying to set up a potentially money-making enterprise in order to ward off potential lawsuits against her if things turned pear-shaped.  She would HAVE to sue you in order to decouple her name from a business enterprise to which she had not agreed.

If she didn't, she could potentially be liable for all sorts of bad things, and even NCSoft might be tempted to go after her.

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2012, 01:24:45 AM »
Having too ben around the world, I came across a wide range of people and all religion and overall most act like normal humans. Some (snip), and so on. No one label actually describe any religious group because in the end of the day they are still people and still just as diverse.
And the amusing specimens for whom the concept of a person not sharing their beliefs simply does not compute.

Meh. A quote from "Good Omens" comes to mind.

Personally, I just adopt a simple rule: Live and let live as long as they're not invading my territory (including mental).
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2012, 02:33:03 AM »
Sorry. It's a really good idea. I didn't mean to deflate it.
S'okay, we'll just put a pin in it for the time being :)
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2012, 04:37:45 AM »
Just remember ladies and gentlemen, if it sounds too good to be true it's probably fattening, addictive, bad for your heart, and will make your feet sweat at inopportune moments.

As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2012, 02:37:48 PM »
But, but... aren't we evolved such that the better something tastes, the better it is for us?  :gonk:

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2012, 04:26:41 PM »
Unfortunately no, but with research there is hope!
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2012, 09:15:32 AM »
But, but... aren't we evolved such that the better something tastes, the better it is for us?  :gonk:

In the sense that fatty foods are better than starvation, yes. The problem is the west has no lack of fatty foods any more, and a decreased amount of calories spent to get those.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2012, 03:27:05 PM »
In the sense that fatty foods are better than starvation, yes. The problem is the west has no lack of fatty foods any more, and a decreased amount of calories spent to get those.
I'm aware; it was a joke.

Though the obvious solution is simply to begin augmenting our bodies with elements that provide increased convenience but consume more energy to operate. >_> <_<

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2012, 04:31:05 PM »

I'm forced to correct to:

In the sense that carb rich foods are better than starvation, yes. The problem is the west has no lack of carb rich foods any more, and a decreased amount of calories spent to get those.

Our taste for sweetness and carb loveliness comes from our need to complement our diet with vegetables and fruit with meats as the primary source of nutrition. Science, though, has allowed us to create insanely concentrated amounts of carbs in small bites of food. You can eat a day worth of carb intake by eating something smaller an an Apple. Had you only eaten carbs entirely by eating fruit, your stomach would have never been able to accommodate so many carbs.

So, in short: our obsession with carb comes from our need of fruit and vegetables but does not acknowledge the possibility of an overdose. Eliminate bread, bakings (flour), pasta, candy and minimize potatoes and rice and you will not only lose a LOT of weight, but you will be way healthier. If you suffer from Type 2 Diabetes you may not even have to worry about it anymore unless your case is extreme.

*PS: My wife is a diabetes researcher.

Now we can resume our quest for millionaires!
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.