Author Topic: Comic artists on Facebook?  (Read 1903 times)

Vak

• Underling
Comic artists on Facebook?
« on: December 16, 2012, 04:55:00 AM »
I added J. Scott Campbell as a Facebook "like" some time ago. I noticed in one of his updates that he's visiting Disney on another matter and shot him a PM with the following:

Scott,

You don't know me - I'm just a fan that ran across some Internet pics of "Danger Girl" many years back and decided to add you to my Must Read List. It's not just a question of the art, but the "fun" style that absolutely nailed it for me. (And yes, I've sunk a bit too much cash into back issues - but that comes with the territory.)

If you're going to be at Disney anyway, I'd ask that you take a glance at the "Save City of Heroes" campaign, headlined at http://www.savecoh.com/2012/11/call-to-action-team-wildcard-needs-you.html. The organizers are pitching Disney at the moment, after the game's publisher decided that while the game was profitable, it wasn't profitable enough to continue - leaving a ton of comics fans out in the cold.

City of Heroes (the now sadly cancelled MMO) is a celebration of Silver Age comics at its best (and arguably worst, but, hey, it's the genre). There's an entire zone, Perez Park, with areas named after comic artists and authors. Neil Gaiman put in a plug for them. Why in blazes they never had a Campbell Court area is beyond me - if I ever won the lottery and could afford to buy the IP, I'd give you an entire ZONE (and likely ask you to design any new female character, but, hey) - but the point is...they need help catching Mickey's attention.

You have a life, and a career; I don't expect you to take time out of your schedule for this sort of thing. That said, there's a community out there who could use your help if you have the inclination.

- A Fan.

P.S. Your fairy tale calendars are the stuff of legend in my little gaming group...keep it up! If you bump into Bruce Campbell, please let him know I'd like to buy him a beer...

If'n y'all have other comic artists on FB - bring out the artillery. I'd suggest playing it calm though - most of these guys, like any celebrity, aren't going to appreciate persistence or, dare I say, stalking. Throw in the hint and hope that it goes somewhere. Be personal. Tell YOUR story and don't copy/paste. Play the Perez Park card if you can. See what happens. Our snowball is rolling - we need to get it larger and faster.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 05:05:39 AM by Vak »