Author Topic: =PRIMER= CO for CoH Players  (Read 15279 times)

sinister8088

• Minion
=PRIMER= CO for CoH Players
« on: December 17, 2012, 08:23:19 AM »
Champions Online for City of Heroes Players
- A Primer -

I just started playing this game a week ago, and thought I'd share this list as a primer to get people who are familiar with City of Heroes started in CO if they haven't tried it.  I know it's not City of Heroes.  If City came back, I'd drop CO like a bad habit.  But compared to DCUO, I can stomach this a little more.  For now, I'm a refugee.

I might be wrong about something above (particularly the Inspiration-like drops, I can't find where those are called in-game, they matter that little, I guess.)  Feel free to correct me and I'll revise the above as I can.

-- Sinister8088

Special Thanks to Kaiser Tarantula for a number of contributions to the guide.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Assumptions made throughout this guide: you’re an Ex-City of Heroes player (I HATE saying that), and you're playing a Silver Account (F2P.)

This primer is meant as a brief introduction to Champions Online, and will not cover in-depth strategies, walkthroughs past Level 6, freeform builds, or other advanced topics.  If you want to learn more about any topic in this Primer, you can search it on the Champions Online Wiki, maintained by Cryptic.

To start, click on a subject below (links are in dark red.)

INTRODUCTION
  • History of Champions Online from Cryptic IP Sale of City of Heroes to Today
  • Game Setting
  • Account Types

CHARACTER CREATION
  • Character Slots
  • Archetypes
  • Freeform
  • Costumes

BASIC PLAY
  • Activity Button
  • Energy Bars
  • Powers and Fighting
  • Travel Powers
  • The Exit Button
  • Dropping A Mission
  • Concerning Autocomplete

MANAGING YOUR HEROIC ASSIGNMENTS
  • Mission List
  • Intro Mission
  • Missions After The Intro
  • Task Forces
  • The Radio/Newspaper (Incidental Missions)

BASIC CHARACTER ADVANCEMENT AND MANAGEMENT
  • Money
  • Real-Money Transactions
  • Questionite
  • Powerhouse
  • Leveling Up
  • Debt

EQUIPMENT AND ITEMS
  • Items
  • Inspirations
  • Enhancements
  • Crafting
  • Merits
  • Badges

ERRATA - Miscellaneous topics that do not fit the above categories.  (Right Clicking, What's a Qularr?, Camera, etc.)

OTHER PLAYER GUIDES ON TITAN NETWORK

Information from other Ex-CoH players:

A Guide To Playing Champions Online - JRVthatsME

Thoughts on Freeform Characters and power comparisons - Kaiser Tarantula

Opinions on Defensive Passives - Kaiser Tarantula

From COH to CO: Proportion Sliders, Templates and Tips - Atlantea

Basic discussion for starting to play in CO compared to CoH - PinballDave (Not a guide, but a lot of questions answered you might be curious about.)

If you haven't found the topic of your interest and decide to write a guide to it on Titan Network, I'll be glad to link to it.  Just PM me or let me know on this thread.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 10:09:14 AM by sinister8088 »

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
Re: =PRIMER= CO for CoH Players
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 12:30:09 AM »
I have found I can handle DCU a bit better than CO, but will openly admit it has more to do with the visuals than anything and the generally hokey" approach puts me off a bit too.

Also, I think after you have created one character, you can indeed skip the into the next time around.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 12:42:25 AM »
good information, Sinister

sinister8088

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 06:47:20 AM »
I have found I can handle DCU a bit better than CO, but will openly admit it has more to do with the visuals than anything and the generally hokey" approach puts me off a bit too.

Also, I think after you have created one character, you can indeed skip the into the next time around.

I agree, I can tolerate it more with the sound off and me reading the subtitles.  The campy "cartoon slides" during FMV and cutscenes is still a bit offputting to me.  (Whiteout: Instead of animating an explosion in Issue 3, you show a slide of one?  Weak.)

But the game is starting to grow on me a little.  The community is of no comparison to City of Heroes, naturally, chat in public is almost non-existant in Millennium City compared to any shard of Atlas Park at a given time of day.  If there's any camaraderie in Champions, it's what we're going to bring ourselves it appears.

blue storm

• Boss
  • #savecoh
    • Freedom Academy
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 01:31:40 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to put this one together... I'll use it while I wait for the return of our City !
--

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 03:14:07 PM »
Let me offer a few corrections and clarifications:

Setting: The setting of Champions Online is an alternate-history Earth.  In this Earth, history has run much like our own, except for several alien and demonic invasions, and the existence of superpowered heroes and villains.

Most noteably is the July 22nd, 1992 Battle of Detroit.  Dr. Destroyer, one of the most powerful villains of the Champions universe, had his secret Detroit waterfront lair discovered by a group of students from Ravenwood Academy.  In retaliation, the egomaniacal megalomaniac activated his Meteor Magnet doomsday device, pulling a catastrophic meteor from orbit and sending it hurtling towards Detroit.  He also unleashed an army of his loyal Destroid battle-robots, as well as the giant monsters Grond, Glacier, and Mega-Terak (how he obtained the services of those three is still a mystery to this day.)  Spaceworthy heroes set off to obliterate the incoming meteors, while groundbound ones fought off the hordes of Destroids and monsters to invade Destroyer's lair and confront the madman himself.  When Destroyer was on the verge of defeat, he unleashed an orbital bombardment from a previously-hidden cannon satellite that obliterated both his lair, and the city of Detroit.

Detroit was rebuilt in the following years, and re-christened Millenium City.  Millenium City has become a popular hotbed of Superhero activity, and a trendy target for villains across the globe.  Millenium City is the 'hub' of the game - you're given your first missions here, and at level 15-16 you may leave for Canada (where an alien invasion, a resurrected god of death, the machinations of an egomaniac geneticist, and an uprising of psychically-linked terrorists have all run head-on into one another), or the Southwest Desert (where efforts continue to subdue the nigh-unstoppable giant Grond and the unending hordes of radioactive mutants that follow him, as well as stopping a VIPER incursion that has subverted a local theme park).  From there, the world (and possibly beyond!)

Stars: Stars stack up to 5, and are gradually restored over time in-game if you avoid dying.  You can donate in-game resources to charity to restore a star immediately, or purchase items with ZEN to restore all your stars at once.  Stars aren't absolutely important - each star is a 3% increase in the damage you do and the healing you produce, maximum of 15%.  If you have no stars, dying carries no additional penalty.  Sinister is correct that Stars do not come back if you spend time logged out.

Recognition Medals: There are 4 kinds of recognition medals.  MCPD Recognition (6-14), PRIMUS Recognition (15-30), UNTIL Recognition (31-40), and Silver Champions' Stars (specific Lv40 content).  Each functions kinda like reward merits in CoH.  You can earn them from defeating field and mission mobs, and you can select recognition medals as a reward from doing missions that would otherwise offer you a gear reward.  Recognition medals can be spent like a currency at Recognition vendors.  Aside from random-reward boxes for green-quality gear, Recognition medals can also purchase costume piece unlocks and travel power unlocks that are available nowhere else.

The Tutorial: Despite what sinister says, you don't have to do the tutorial... after the first time. Your first character is limited to specific costume pieces and will be forced to play through the tutorial zone.  Once you reach level 8, all the other free-to-play costume options unlock, and subsequent characters will have an option to skip the tutorial entirely.  However, badgers take note.  There are several perks (the CO equivalent of badges) that are lost forever if you do not do the tutorial - you cannot get Learn the Ropes, Stop the Invasion, Save the City, Ironclad Offensive, Vanquished Black Talon and Red Bug Down if you don't complete the tutorial.

RetCon: Respec.  A full RetCon of your character requires you to spend ZEN to get a RetCon token.  You can, however, perform partial RetCons with in-game currency.  The higher your level, the more RetCon will cost.  You can remove powers one at a time, in reverse order of acquisition (most recent power first) at the Powerhouse by talking to a trainer.  Speaking of...

Powerhouse, The: This place is where heroes can go to train and develop their powers in a controlled environment.  Talking to any trainer will let you spend any specification or advantage points you've earned by levelling, or select new powers if you've attained a level that offers a new power.  A special note here is that any level-up selections made while in the Powerhouse are not permanent and can be changed as much as you like for free until you leave.  When you leave the Powerhouse, any selections you've made are locked in, and can only be changed by paying for it.  The Powerhouse also has testing environments with practice dummies so that you can see just how your powers work via live testing, as well as a raceway & gymnasium for testing travel powers (and seeing how much you can lift), and a series of damaging lasers that you can use to test defensive powers.

SOCRATES and Missions: Contacting SOCRATES will show you whatever missions are currently available for your level range, but you never outlevel missions in this game.  Any mission you 'missed' can be obtained by visiting a contact in person.  Even if the contact is level 6, and you're sitting at the level cap of 40, you can go back and finish the mission later.

Equipment: You have six equipment slots - Offensive, Defensive, and Utility, with Primary and Secondary slots for each.  Equipment comes in slot-specific varieties, and what slot they fit into really doesn't tell you much about the equipment itself - a Primary Utility could wind up boosting the same stats as a Secondary Offense.  Primary Offenses tend to be flavored to look like gloves of some kind, Secondary Offenses tend to resemble bracers or armbands.  Primary Defenses typically look like armor or bandolier straps, Secondary Defenses resemble boots or helmets.  Primary Utilities are typically helmets, with Secondary Utilities are often eyewear, jewelry, or miscellaneous items.  What a piece of equipment looks like doesn't matter - it's not reflected on your character visually (that's controlled solely by your costume).

Crafting: Used to exist, doesn't anymore.  You can still earn points in one of three Investigation skills (Arms, Science, or Mysticism), but these skills are solely used to loot specialized containers in the world that require a certain level of Investigation skills to access.  Successfully opening these containers gives you Item Mods and possibly Catalysts.  Item Mods are upgrades that can be inserted into a slotted item's slots to increase its effectiveness.  You can also combine 5 mods of the same type and rank into a single mod of the same type of the next higher rank.  Combining mods has a chance to fail.  You can improve your chances of success by raising your Investigation skill, or by adding a Catalyst to the combination process.

About Archetypes: Sinister's statements of them are a bit overly critical - there's a bit more customization to archetypes than he lets on.  Your powers, combat role, inherent attribute, and super-stats are chosen automatically for you if you select an Archetype.  You also do not get multiple builds.

However, beyond that, you are not limited.  You may choose whatever travel power you like at level 6 and 35.  You can select whatever Advantage options your powers offer, within the limits of the advantage points you have to spend.  And you can select whatever Specializations are available within the trees determined by your Super Stats.  In addition, every Archetype has a couple levels where you'll have the choice between two similar powers, and you may select which to take.  Compared to a Freeform character, you have a lot less customization, but it's incorrect to say that there's no customization.

If you are PvP-oriented, it's important to note that there is a specific form of PvP dedicated solely to Archetype-on-Archetype combat.  While Freeform characters can break the game in ridiculous ways, you are guaranteed a more 'fair' fight by Archetype combat.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:30:23 PM by Kaiser Tarantula »

sinister8088

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 04:58:33 PM »
Let me offer a few corrections and clarifications:

Setting: The setting of Champions Online is an alternate-history Earth.  In this Earth, history has run much like our own, except for several alien and demonic invasions, and the existence of superpowered heroes and villains.

Most noteably is the July 22nd, 1992 Battle of Detroit.  Dr. Destroyer, one of the most powerful villains of the Champions universe, had his secret Detroit waterfront lair discovered by a group of students from Ravenwood Academy.  In retaliation, the egomaniacal megalomaniac activated his Meteor Magnet doomsday device, pulling a catastrophic meteor from orbit and sending it hurtling towards Detroit.  He also unleashed an army of his loyal Destroid battle-robots, as well as the giant monsters Grond, Glacier, and Mega-Terak (how he obtained the services of those three is still a mystery to this day.)  Spaceworthy heroes set off to obliterate the incoming meteors, while groundbound ones fought off the hordes of Destroids and monsters to invade Destroyer's lair and confront the madman himself.  When Destroyer was on the verge of defeat, he unleashed an orbital bombardment from a previously-hidden cannon satellite that obliterated both his lair, and the city of Detroit.

Detroit was rebuilt in the following years, and re-christened Millenium City.  Millenium City has become a popular hotbed of Superhero activity, and a trendy target for
<<TRUNCATED for space... you get the idea.>>

Corrections incorporated.  Thanks!
(I'm biased, I know... but it's mostly out of hurt from losing CoH, I don't hate Champions per se.  I didn't know the intro could be skipped after a character passes Level 8.)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 05:08:02 PM »
Corrections incorporated.  Thanks!
(I'm biased, I know... but it's mostly out of hurt from losing CoH, I don't hate Champions per se.  I didn't know the intro could be skipped after a character passes Level 8.)

How about "Department of Corrections"

;D
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Empyrean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 01:03:15 AM »
I agree, I can tolerate it more with the sound off and me reading the subtitles.  The campy "cartoon slides" during FMV and cutscenes is still a bit offputting to me.  (Whiteout: Instead of animating an explosion in Issue 3, you show a slide of one?  Weak.)

But the game is starting to grow on me a little.  The community is of no comparison to City of Heroes, naturally, chat in public is almost non-existant in Millennium City compared to any shard of Atlas Park at a given time of day.  If there's any camaraderie in Champions, it's what we're going to bring ourselves it appears.

I have run hot and cold too, but it's growing on me.  Just when I get a little frustrated or underwhelmed, I discover something awesome that kind of blows me away.  While I wish it were less hokey, I like the panels, and, come on, it's based on comics (and I know whereof I speak, I've been a Marvel and DC comics fan since the late 70's when I was a little kid)!

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 03:56:54 AM »
Oh, another couple corrections and clarifications I'd like to point out.

Costumes: When you start a character, you are given 1 free costume slot.  If you join a Supergroup, you get 1 free costume slot.  Gold players will gain additional costume slots as they level up, but Silver players do not.  Additional costume slots over and above these can be purchased in the ZEN store.  Gold players have the option to purchase accountwide costume slots.

Questionite: An alternate currency earned in game, directly exchangeable for ZEN.  The questionite-to-ZEN rate is player-driven, with those selling ZEN being firmly in control of the market rate.  Players may also, naturally, exchange ZEN for questionite, using the same system.

Questionite ore can be earned by playing adventure packs and comic series, picking up Boxes of Questionite from defeated Super Villain or higher enemies (each box will give you anywhere from 200 to 1500 questionite ore), and can also be earned in small amounts by defeating any enemy during a Questionite Hour event.

Questionite must be refined from ore to be used - each piece of ore produces 1 questionite.  You may collect any amount of ore you like, but you are capped to refining 8,000 questionite per day, to prevent people from glutting the market with questionite.

In addition to being exhanged for ZEN, questionite can also be spent directly on purchases from the Questionite Store, which functions like a secondary cash shop.  Since items in the Questionite Store are available nowhere else, not even the ZEN store, there is incentive to convert ZEN into questionite, for those who have a surplus of zen and wish to make Questionite purchases.

sinister8088

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 05:35:02 AM »
Oh, another couple corrections and clarifications I'd like to point out.

Costumes: When you start a character, you are given 1 free costume slot.  If you join a Supergroup, you get 1 free costume slot.  Gold players will gain additional costume slots as they level up, but Silver players do not.  Additional costume slots over and above these can be purchased in the ZEN store.  Gold players have the option to purchase accountwide costume slots.

Questionite: An alternate currency earned in game, directly exchangeable for ZEN.  The questionite-to-ZEN rate is player-driven, with those selling ZEN being firmly in control of the market rate.  Players may also, naturally, exchange ZEN for questionite, using the same system.

Questionite ore can be earned by playing adventure packs and comic series, picking up Boxes of Questionite from defeated Super Villain or higher enemies (each box will give you anywhere from 200 to 1500 questionite ore), and can also be earned in small amounts by defeating any enemy during a Questionite Hour event.

Questionite must be refined from ore to be used - each piece of ore produces 1 questionite.  You may collect any amount of ore you like, but you are capped to refining 8,000 questionite per day, to prevent people from glutting the market with questionite.

In addition to being exhanged for ZEN, questionite can also be spent directly on purchases from the Questionite Store, which functions like a secondary cash shop.  Since items in the Questionite Store are available nowhere else, not even the ZEN store, there is incentive to convert ZEN into questionite, for those who have a surplus of zen and wish to make Questionite purchases.

Added to the OP, thanks again. :D
Sorry about the delay, last days of work before Christmas hurts.

sinister8088

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 07:01:41 AM »
I have run hot and cold too, but it's growing on me.  Just when I get a little frustrated or underwhelmed, I discover something awesome that kind of blows me away.  While I wish it were less hokey, I like the panels, and, come on, it's based on comics (and I know whereof I speak, I've been a Marvel and DC comics fan since the late 70's when I was a little kid)!

Well, it takes Different Strokes I guess.  Wasn't raised on comics. :(

I guess I identified with action heroes on TV more as a child: Magnum P.I., Airwolf, The Fall Guy, The A Team, and to more campier tastes, Knight Rider (After all, William Daniels is the man!), Max Headroom and Sledge Hammer! [sic, the exclamation mark is part of the title.]  But I could temper my expectations on Whiteout: it is an Adventure Pack after all. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 07:11:12 AM by sinister8088 »

sinister8088

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 11:50:47 PM »
I should have made two posts at the beginning... D'oh!

I've hit the single post ceiling (30,000 Characters.)  I can correct errors, but I can't add anymore.  Sorry, folks, I think that's all I can do.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 12:21:33 AM »
Regarding Questionite, you made one tiny mistake.

Mobs drop Questionite only during Questionite Hour events, and will drop questionite based on their rank (henchmen & villains 1-5, master villains 5-10, super villains and higher 10+).  Otherwise, Boxes of Questionite looted from Super Villain or higher-ranked enemies, as well as mission rewards from comic series, adventure packs, APB missions, and Rampage alerts are the only way to obtain Questionite.

sinister8088

• Minion
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 06:45:27 AM »
Fixed! :D Thanks.

Considering how STO deals it out (end of mission bonus in most cases), that's even more rare.  I thought I was exaggerating on months of active play.  I guess not.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 07:32:58 AM »
Well, you're capped at refining 8,000 questionite a day.  If you do your daily APB (2,000 questionite), 1 run of Whiteout (2,000 questionite), and 1 Gravitar Rampage alert (1,500 questionite), you need only 2500 more questionite to hit your daily cap.  All of these are daily repeatables, and there's nothing stopping you from running Whiteout or Resistance again (or another Comic Series/Adventure Pack) to fill out the remaining daily cap.  Whiteout, in particular, can earn you up to 22 boxes of questionite with a full team on Elite difficulty.

In theory, you could make over 20,000 questionite a day without ever stepping out of the Ren Center except as your missions require; Whiteout x4 (8,000), Resistance x4 (8,000), Gravitar Rampages until you hit minimum rewards (4,500), Daily APB (2,000), for a total of 22,500 questionite.  It'd take you three days to refine it all if you did so.

All of these limitations are per-character too, as is your daily questionite refinement cap.  So if you have two characters, you can refine 16,000 questionite per day (8,000 on each).  Since ZEN is account-wide, if you spend all your questionite on ZEN, you can get approximately 80 ZEN a day by doing this (subject to exact exchange rates.)  Every character you have above the two freebies on a Silver account is another 40 ZEN you can earn per day.  Someone with 5 characters, capping their questionite earnings per day, can get approximately 200 ZEN/day without spending a single red cent.

That's $2 USD in ZEN right there.  If you're a gold member, this is even easier because you can freeform characters (potentially letting you solo adventure packs/comic series more easily), and you get several extra character slots by default.  Another benefit to subscribing.  Even if you're Silver though, you can get 2 character slots for 1,400 ZEN.  That would let you make 160 ZEN/day with farming questionite and using the exchange, which means that you'll recoup the money you spent in about nine days.  You could even earn the initial 1,400 ZEN outlay with just two characters in about 18 days,  so you're looking at about a month of solid work to get an extra pair of character slots and then recoup the ZEN spent on them.

It's very possible to unlock everything a silver character can get, without spending real life money, if you're willing to farm questionite up to your daily cap.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 07:45:03 AM by Kaiser Tarantula »

sinister8088

• Minion
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 08:18:52 AM »
I will incorporate that into the guide.  For now, a brief interruption. XD

sinister8088

• Minion
Re: =PRIMER= CO for CoH Players - INTRODUCTION
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 08:22:16 AM »
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 09:44:54 AM by sinister8088 »

sinister8088

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 08:28:11 AM »
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 09:34:25 AM by sinister8088 »

sinister8088

• Minion
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 08:32:27 AM »
BASIC PLAY

Activity Button: Not in City of Heroes.  Press Z to activate things that a mouse would do in City of Heroes.  Z also calls up zone dialog, picks up items and confirms choices in dialogs.  If you’re a mouse erudite, an Activity button will appear underneath your character you can click on instead of pressing Z, so relax.

Energy Bars: You know what the colors mean and what Endurance is (Energy in this game.) Notch on the blue bar is the Equilibrium point.  When at rest, you recharge rapidly up to the Equilibrium point.  The use of high-damage powers too frequently will decrease the Equilibrium point, so understand that it does move around a bit.  Collecting energy past the equilibrium point will result in energy loss between fights until you get into another fight, or the equilibrium is reached.

Powers and Fighting: Farewell to City of Heroes and the Dual-Blades/Street Fighting-esque Combo system.  But don't worry, in Champions Online, you have a little bit of variety in your play.  Some powers you select in this game use Charge-Ups and Sustains.  Your primary attack is known as an Energy Builder... and unlike CoH, you can block attacks at will.
  • Energy Builder: This light damage attack is repeatable, costs no energy, and even better, recharges your energy after repeated use, even past the equilibrium point (as long as there's a target capable of receiving damage, you can use an Energy Builder).  You can have only one energy builder-type of power in your power choices at any given time.  For most Archetypes, it's usually your weakest, but quickest-to-use attack.  Note that the Energy Builder is a TOGGLE: press the attack button once, and you'll keep attacking over and over until you choose another power, or the enemy falls.
  • Charge-Up: An energy meter appears in a Charge-Up when you hold down the power activation button.  Let it go for a charged up use of an attack or power.  You can also keep pressing it to deliver maximum damage/effect with the Meter filled up.  (Timing means nothing: letting it go on the notch marks doesn’t matter.)  The higher the charge, the more energy used up on release.
  • Sustain: In a Sustain Power, the bar is at maximum and the longer you hold it down, the longer the power persists until the Meter is empty.  The longer a sustain is used, the more energy is used in turn for less and less damage over time.
  • Block: You can block incoming attacks at-will in Champions Online.  Simply press and hold Shift to do so.  You will also gain back some energy while blocking, though nowhere as dramatically as when using an Energy Builder.

Charge-Up and Sustain attacks tend to be the more exciting of the two, since these tend to be attached to Cone or AoE type attacks, but ON BOTH Charge-Up and Sustain powers, if you run out of energy, the power discharges and stops immediately, no matter how far up your bar is charged.  Also, the Energy Builder attack means that even in a short encounter, endurance drain that was common in City of Heroes doesn't have to be an issue in Champions Online.  The strategy in using such an attack is still present, as Energy Builders only return a fixed percentage of your energy per successful hit.  This is time your character can be vulnerable to high damage attacks.

Speaking of High Damage Attacks, there's a type of attack from mobs called a "Schtick Attack", where a cartoon bubble, spark or highlight appears in three stages over your character's head, usually ending in a word (like "Bang", "Pow", or some other onomatopoeic expression... yes, that's a word... Google it).  When the third part appears, a powerful attack will land on your character at full force.  This is a warning to your character that it is indeed time to block.  You'll get used to seeing them as you play and acting accordingly, but note that marching all by yourself into a group full of mobs that you know to be capable of those kind of attacks is usually a fool's errand, especially before Level 25.

Finally, note that while blocking, any unactivated or charging powers will cancel until you release the block, and that in PvP there are methods that opponents can use to disable your ability to block temporarily, so know that before going into a fight.  Also, block isn't a perfect shield: you will lose SOME HP no matter what you do.  Holding Shift down endlessly on a large enough collection of enemies or in a boss fight will still put you in harm's way.

Travel Powers: You get a free one at Level 6 (doesn’t affect power choices).  Travel powers are mapped by default to the T key (can be remapped) and works with a little difference from City of Heroes.  Each power has three magnitudes of speed: slow (defaults to this when you are attacked just like CoH), medium, and fast.  Each mode moves to the next fastest one after 10 seconds of travel without getting hit.

Travel Powers are CHARGE-UPS.  Too long to wait to get the hell out of dodge?  Press and hold T to charge your travel power and use fast immediately.  You can have up to two travel powers on any given character.

How do I quit? Where's the Settings Menu?  Can I just log out?  Press ESC repeatedly until the Main Menu appears, then choose accordingly.  Also, on the Mini-Map, click on the Champions Logo button for a Palette Menu of any window not discussed in this primer.  If it has use in the game, it's listed there.

The Exit Button:  When done with a mission map, if you can’t find an immediate exit in the boss room, you’ll find yourself running all around to get to the door at times. 

Stop that: Just click on Socrates (Tiny blue head in the Mini Map) and choose Exit Mission.  This isn't as much of an issue, since the majority of missions are in City Zones and open-air maps.  (Adv. Packs/Comics: head back to the Jet, otherwise, Socrates still works.)  Remember leaving the map means resetting that Issue or Mission's objectives.  The AP Progress is not lost unless you drop the main mission from your list.  If you have unfinished mission objectives, leaving the map means you will start over on the completed objectives when you reenter the map.

Dropping a Mission: If you want to remove a mission from your Mission List, press L to open up your Log Window.  Click on the Active Tab and locate the mission in the list.  Click Drop to drop the mission.  It will disappear from your list, and your progress on the mission will be lost. (If it's in an arc, you can talk to the contact to regain it: if it's an AP/CB mission, you will need to start over from the first Issue.)

You will need to drop missions when it is no longer possible to complete it, for example, if you forget to rescue the Kitty in the Intro Mission and still have the mission on your list.  Or perhaps you have a holiday event that has expired.  Dropping it is all that can be done in these instances.

Concerning Autocomplete: Unless the mission is bugged, there is no Autocomplete feature in Champions Online.  Your only recourse is to leave (see above tip) and do something else.  If the mission is bugged, access Help (press ESC until you see the Main Menu), then choose Request GM Support.  Don't expect a live response: unless your character is stuck and cannot exit (or some variation of that: you are stuck on a map in a manner that logging in and out will not fix, or can't log in after exiting), they will refer it to someone to look at later.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 09:34:11 AM by sinister8088 »