Author Topic: Isn't this Disney's Marvel online game?  (Read 8625 times)

Surelle

Isn't this Disney's Marvel online game?
« on: December 17, 2012, 11:34:33 PM »
Hey, I just saw this hands-on preview of a Marvel-based, Diablo-style online game on Massively.com.  Eliot wrote it; he's the author of CoH's long-running "A Mild-Mannered Reporter" column there.

.joystiq.com/2012/12/17/first-impressions-marvel-heroes-isnt-a-heroic-marvel/

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: Isn't this Disney's Marvel online game?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 12:29:41 AM »
It is. Someone posted another review, possibly on the Community board, with a similar level of disappointment.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 12:30:33 AM »
Hey, I just saw this hands-on preview of a Marvel-based, Diablo-style online game on Massively.com.  Eliot wrote it; he's the author of CoH's long-running "A Mild-Mannered Reporter" column there.

.joystiq.com/2012/12/17/first-impressions-marvel-heroes-isnt-a-heroic-marvel/
Hmmm.  This is not a favorable review - and it's a fairly long and detailed unfavorable review of their new superhero game.  Hey, Disney, I have an idea on how to fix this situation for you... :)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 12:36:02 AM »
I don't know much about the Disney acquisition of Marvel, but Gazillion appears to be their own studio, though they are kind of a one trick pony. Their only other game is built around Marvel's Super Hero Squad. However they got the IP, it looks like it'll take a little digging to see just how much Disney is, or even wants to be, involved with Diablo: Spandex Edition.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 12:38:05 AM »
Yup. With every new bit of news that comes out about this upcoming Marvel "MMO", the less interest I have in it.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 12:56:37 AM »
Saw the preview at nyccomicon in October.  They only want to promote Marvel properties (i.e. characters) and did a fair amount of trashing player created content.  After the 15 minute presentation they opened for Q&A and at least have the audience left.  The game is a point and shoot and "first to have flying characters that shoot powers".  I am sure it will find its niche in the market, just not on my hard drive or the 5 coh players I was with.

I do not think disney will pan out.  They are most likely directing marvel to push their names, their characters, their products and images above all else.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 01:03:59 AM »
Trashed player-created-content huh?

To heck with em, then.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 01:19:44 AM »
I never thought to dream that this new Marvel game from Disney had the potential to help us so much.  The worse it fares in the MMO marketplace, the better we will look as an alternative.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 01:24:09 AM »
I wonder how it compares to Marvel Alliance or X-Men Legends 2 (both of which are Diablo-esque Marvel games I enjoyed playing on Xbox 360 and PSP respectively)?

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 01:24:52 AM »
I never thought to dream that this new Marvel game from Disney had the potential to help us so much.  The worse it fares in the MMO marketplace, the better we will look as an alternative.

Hypothetically, it could indeed.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 01:28:01 AM »
I would also like to say that I was willing to stand in a line and pee down my leg fugratively and literally to see this on the heals of COH's announcement.  I LOVE Marvel (DC Too), but really had my stomach kicked and heart torn out at the presentation. 

You cannot even make costumes.  You can play Yellow Outfit Wolverine, Grey Outfit Wolverine or Brown Outfit Wolverine along side a Green Hulk, Red Hulk or a Grey Mr Fixit Hulk.  You cannot change the powers as I could tell, but each character had a one-of-a-kind power unique to that character. 

I SO wanted to love this game and have a rebound but... no.  I fear the game will be a team of 4-6 players all with shades of grey/green hulks doing the same kicks and punches.  Again, this may be someone else's fun time, but it just does not sound like COH fun to me or what I think about with other COH like minded people.

In a balanced obersvation I should share what I did like:   they said there would be dynamic maps for every time a missions was launched (how?? and awesome!!) and there were recognizeable terrains/landmarks from Marvel lore.   

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 02:14:19 AM »
Off-topic, please tell me your screen name is a Strongbad reference!  ;D

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 03:04:08 AM »
It does sound a lot like an mmo version of Ultimate Alliance...a good game, but by no means immersive. 

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 04:59:25 AM »
That game is really meant to attract another type of gamer. The guys that like making all the spiderman and wolverine clones you see in Champions Online and CoX and fans of the marvel franchise. But it won't hold them as long as a game like CoX would. They'll play it a couple times a week before eventually returning to ps3 and xbox360.

I don't know how to they expect to make money on it if its going to be free to play.

No reason to buy costume slots, respecs, character names, character slots.

The only thing they could really sell is additional marvel character unlocks, inventory space or charge you a 30 - 50$ fee for game expansions like wow does. But that would have to be a pretty nice update and would have to be more than once every 1 - 3 years to make profit. Guess we'll see in the beta.

Quinch

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 04:18:27 PM »
I'm... conflicted. On one hand, I hate seeing someone's honest effort sink below their expectations and investment. On the other hand, I feel like i should feel happy because it makes CoH look better in comparison. So I don't know how to feel about this.

HarvesterOfEyes

• Lieutenant
  • Mine is to collect from the wicked.
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 04:32:38 PM »
I wouldn't expect Disney ever to market something that isn't pretty much infantilized.

The corporation may have made their bones on "imagineering" but when it comes to marketing they are single-minded. Where there's no hope of appealing to the mothers of toddlers and pre-teens they won't bother. That's their market-segment and they're damn good at milking it.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 04:42:52 PM »
That's not completely accurate, but it does account for the majority of their marketing and market share.

I'm not usually one to pile on the hate, but I'm not at all interested in the success of this. Nothing that I have seen in electronic gaming with Marvel's name attached to it has impressed me. I'm also a little bitter with how they instigated their lawsuit against Cryptic, if the reports of it being as a result of Marvel employees going in and deliberately creating toons to look like copyrighted characters is accurate.

HarvesterOfEyes

• Lieutenant
  • Mine is to collect from the wicked.
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 04:53:06 PM »
Granted, their are a couple other ways that corporation knows how to open wallets, but I don't want to go that negative against them atm. I prefer to let the long-shot effort run its course for good or ill.

As to the Marvel lawsuit, yeah that was a company headed for bankruptcy desperately looking for someone to rob to save themselves. Nothing in that is worthy of respect. It has never ceased to amuse me that my first ever character in CoH was a straight up marvel rip-off and yet no one noticed or cared because it was an old enough character with a generic enough name that it would have been hard to claim any rights.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 04:54:23 PM »
I'm also a little bitter with how they instigated their lawsuit against Cryptic, if the reports of it being as a result of Marvel employees going in and deliberately creating toons to look like copyrighted characters is accurate.

I had never heard that, but nor does it shock me. Still, if that's what happened, that makes the whole exercise a fishing-expedition, and rather reprehensible.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »
I can't say I'm surprised it's getting poor reviews. Historically, video games based on existing franchises have never been very high quality. Good ones happen too of course, but more often than not games based on movies or comics or other forms of media are just a bald-faced grab at merchandising money. It used to be lunchboxes and board games, and these days it's ringtones and video games, but the principle's the same.

The core of the problem is, people with no clue how to make a good game get to have major input on making a game. Plus, to get the returns they're after, it has to be created on an unrealistic timeline so it coincides with the release of the original product. Quality-wise this is a recipe for disaster; and they're probably well aware of that fact, but they do it anyway because they expect people to act like people and buy things just because it has a likeable name on the cover.

I do feel bad for those developers whose talent and effort won't get recognized. On the bright side though, even crappy games provide paychecks for a while.