Author Topic: If a certain company is on the list...  (Read 4435 times)

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
If a certain company is on the list...
« on: December 19, 2012, 04:02:50 AM »
I've seen it mentioned that there is a list of companies to pitch the idea of buying the CoH IP to.  If Walmart or Walmart.com or anything Walmart is on the list in any way (which it probably isn't but still) please PM me first.  That is all...

Jordan_Lee

• Lieutenant
Re: If a certain company is on the list...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 04:08:53 AM »
I hadn't even thought about Walmart, I don't see how it would be considered??? Other than them being huge corporate entity, they are retail they aren't game publishers.  Unless I'm missing something???

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 04:12:23 AM »
I didn't picture Disney as one that would buy an MMO studio but they did.  Walmart is the elephant in the room when it comes to selling pretty much anything.  Virtual items is not a business that they have gone into...yet.  I doubt they're a target, but I can help if they are. 

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 04:27:46 AM »
Walmart is not on the list.  They don't do publishing of any kind.  They are a retailer, and expect ready-to-sell items to be delivered to them.  It would require an entirely new business model for them.  I would expect Quicken Loans to be interested before Walmart, and I give that a -100 probability.

Disney, on the other hand, IS a publisher, already HAD bought game studios, and HAD an MMORPG of sorts ("Pirates of the Carribean") before we approached them.

8)  This is TF Hail Mary, not TF Grasping At Straws.   8)
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 04:39:57 AM »
8)  This is TF Hail Mary, not TF Grasping At Straws.   8)
An important distinction, to be sure.   :)

Stellar Agent

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 04:43:42 AM »
I am a manager at Walmart and I can tell that in NO WAY would Walmart be able to help here.  As VV said above, they are STICTLY Retail.  Period.  End of Discussion.

Provide them with product to sell, show them how much of a profit margin there is in it, and they'll sell it for you.

That's it, that's all.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 01:49:07 PM »
Because of this thread, I am picturing Wal*Mart putting CoH on its shelves. No, not the box for the game client. The entire IP.

As much as it doesn't work in reality due to lacking any economy of scale at all, it makes me snicker. After all...

Provide them with product to sell, show them how much of a profit margin there is in it, and they'll sell it for you.

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 04:50:20 PM »
It isn't really hard to imagine.  It bugs me to walk through my store (I'm a Walmart manager too) and see toys for Angry Birds, WoW, and Halo and think about what could have been. 

I honestly didn't think Walmart would be on the list.  I figured the chances of it being brought back by NCSoft themselves was probably greater.  I just thought I could help if it was and wanted to get it out there.

What got me thinking about it was, I played Diablo 3 at launch.  The RMAH (real money auction house) was a big hype.  I thought MMOs could change forever if the sale of virtual goods really took off, and it would only be a matter of time before Walmart wanted a piece of the market.

Did you all know that you could download music at Walmart.com?

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 05:14:25 PM »
It isn't really hard to imagine.  It bugs me to walk through my store (I'm a Walmart manager too) and see toys for Angry Birds, WoW, and Halo and think about what could have been. 

I honestly didn't think Walmart would be on the list.  I figured the chances of it being brought back by NCSoft themselves was probably greater.  I just thought I could help if it was and wanted to get it out there.

What got me thinking about it was, I played Diablo 3 at launch.  The RMAH (real money auction house) was a big hype.  I thought MMOs could change forever if the sale of virtual goods really took off, and it would only be a matter of time before Walmart wanted a piece of the market.

This might be something worth keeping in mind regarding the Phoenix Project. *makes a mental note*

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 06:16:46 PM »

You could until August 29, 2011.

http://mp3.walmart.com/store/redeem