Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire (All Book Spoilers) Discussion  (Read 16376 times)

Mental Maden

• Boss
A Song of Ice and Fire (All Book Spoilers) Discussion
« on: December 19, 2012, 03:42:04 PM »
I really enjoyed this thread over at the CH/VC forums so figured I'd start one here while we wait on the Winds of Winter (might be a while).  I'm not sure how many of you are around, but here goes.  For those who aren't caught up on the books, here is your last warning.

BOOK SPOILERS AHEAD!!! Do Not proceed unless you don't mind spoilers up through the last book published!!!

So for our first topic (many of these will be repeats of the previous thread)

Dany- agent of good or evil?  Does this Targ Apple not fall far from the tree or will she save the realm?

Discuss!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (All Book Spoilers) Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 04:47:41 PM »
Dany is my third favorite character, so I hope she doesn't end up crazy or evil.

(My favorite character is Arya and my second fav is Tyrion. For obvs reasons.)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 07:16:19 PM »
I have to read these books... sigh...

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 07:32:04 PM »
Do it!  Do it!  One of us.  One of us.  One of us.

KnightHawk Prime

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:44:05 PM »
Dany is my third favorite character, so I hope she doesn't end up crazy or evil.

(My favorite character is Arya and my second fav is Tyrion. For obvs reasons.)

Because you're short, female, cute and have a sword scar across the bridge of the nose?

'Salright, I have the same top three in the same order, so right there with you.

And I *am* short, female and have a sword scar across the bridge of the nose.

Oh, wait, that was one of my CoH (Now Champions) toons. I'm none of the above. ;]

----------

Personally? I think Dany will end up coming to Westeros to conquer it, and end up saving everyone from the White Walkers and Those Who Rule Them, with the help of Her Dragons, Bran the SkinWalker, Summer, the Wildling Shaman Osha and the Children.

Mormont will end up the Commander of the WhiteCloaks, and will end up as consort to Dany, and her Lord Protector.

Arya will end up Queen of the North, Married to Gedryn (He's Doomed), and Tyrion will end up the Queen's Hand (Dany's) and Regent of King's landing, married (Again) to Sansa, and Sansa will *finally* get someone who will take care of her.

And Littlefinger, after all the manipulations and deceits, all the web pulling behind the crown, ends up surviving and becoming the Treasurer for the Crown. With Tyrion watching him carefully, of course.

Cersei meets Daenarys, which results in Cersei getting eaten by one of the Dragons less than two minutes later.

This, of course, gives the Dragon indigestion.

Jaime dies trying to save Cersei, and gets eaten by the same Dragon, and then they are together, forever, at long last.

[Alt: Jaime pulls his head out of his butt about Cersei, *lets* the Dragon eat her, and becomes Dany's Marshal of the Armies, with the understanding between Jaime, Mormont and Dany, that if she goes insane and tries to destroy everything, he and Mormont will make sure she *doesn't* succeed.

The KingSlayer has no problem becoming the QueenSlayer, *if* it becomes necessary.]

And Arya, before she is crowned Queen of the North, disappears for a time, quietly assassinates Varys, and takes control of all his little birds, becoming the head of intelligence for both Kingdoms, to prevent this wide a civil war from ever repeating, in case the White Walkers and Those Who Rule Them, ever try to come back.

There's a *reason* she accepts the Crown of the Queen of the North. As a Coronation Present, and to cement the permanent alliance between the two Kingdoms, Queen Daenarys gifts Queen Arya with the first egg from the new generation of Dragons. Appropriately, it's a *White* Dragon, that breathes blue-white Dragonflame.

And of course Arya accepts the Crown. It's her *Duty*. She Is a Stark, after all. The North is her responsibility.

Winter is Coming, but not for a long, long, time, if Queen Arya of Winterfell has anything to say about it.

How's that?

2cp. ;]

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 01:14:17 AM »
How's that?

Crackpotty goodness  ;D

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 05:32:10 AM »
Tyrion is the reason I read the series.  I still haven't finished the latest book, though.  I keep getting stalled and/or distracted.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 03:13:33 PM »
Honestly, didn't know the books existed before I Started watching Game of Thrones. But, since books are nearly almost always better than shows about books, I think I need to read the books now. Also, at this point, less wait time with the books for me :D

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 03:38:58 PM »
Honestly, didn't know the books existed before I Started watching Game of Thrones. But, since books are nearly almost always better than shows about books, I think I need to read the books now. Also, at this point, less wait time with the books for me :D

While I love the show, the books are so so so so so so so so so much denser.  If you like a lot of detail and minutiea (in the best possible way), do it now!  The show is great but is a fairly superficial representation of the source material.  But start at book 1, don't think because you have seen Season 1 and 2 you know what's going on bookwise.  One of us! One of us!

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 04:17:38 PM »
May as well chime into my own question.

I do not think Dany is an agent for good and I don't think her winning the Iron Throne will be a good thing for the realm.  No, I'm not a Dany hater.  I just don't buy that she is entitled to the Iron Throne, nor do I think she'd make a good ruler of Westeros.  To rule because you have dragons is no different than the Valyrians ruling over slaves because they had dragons.  (I'll come back to that in a second)  I don't think the Targ dynasty was good for Westeros so I don't feel that she is entitled to take the throne, she is afterall a foreigner to Westeros.

That said, I don't think Dany is bad or evil or even dumb like many people do.  I just don't think (even though her intensions may be good) that she'd be anything but a destroying force over time and the madness of the Targs concerns me.

How do I think things will end for Dany?

I don't think she and Jon are destined for each other romantically, but I can see them being on opposing sides in the end.  Who'll win?  Well if Sam learns what I think he'll learn things may not be tipped on Dany's side like they seem now.  So things may not end so good for Ms. Stormborne.

What would I like to see happen or think may happen?  I think she may win the Throne semi-bloodlessly but will soon realize (after her time in Slaver's Bay) that the throne she worked so hard to get is merely another form of slavery.  I then think she'll break the kingdoms back up into the pre Targ Westeros or something close to it and she'll retire with her "children" on Dragonstone.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 05:43:42 PM by Mental Maden »

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »
Whatever happens, I foresee Bran becoming a dragon.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 01:42:36 PM »
You're assuming Daenerys will even get around to going to Westboros...  :P

I think a key player going forward will be the Iron Bank, which wants a regime change and Cersei dead. Obviously they'll choose to back the faction that will repay Westboro's obligations; if Stannis's army survives the siege of Winterfell, Stannis would make a good choice (unlike the Greyjoys who've turned to marauding). Of course, even if they survive the siege they'll likely have to deal with the Others since it seems very unlikely the Night's Watch could repel an Other incursion in its current chaotic state (and remember, winter is here.). If Stannis is unable to claim the Iron Throne, the question then becomes who could and would the Iron Bank back them? Golden Company & Dorne? Daenerys? Perhaps the Iron Bank will make use of the services of a certain Braavos temple?

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 03:49:25 PM »
Welcome to the conversation Carcass.  I like the way you think.

I agree on you thoughts on the Iron Bank, especially the part about the Faceless Men.  But if you are suggesting that Arya might be dispatched to do the deed, isn't there a rule in the FM that you can not be hired to kill someone you know?  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Cersei meet the pointy end of Needle.

I'm Team Stannis.  I don't think he'll end up on the Iron Throne (at least permanently), but I would love it if he did.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 07:33:35 PM »
I'd be for Stannis if that witch with him dies screaming first.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 09:31:16 PM »
I don't want Stannis on the throne. He is easily manipulated (Red Witch, fr'ex) and that makes for a bad king.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 03:08:50 PM »
Ok, it's been a fruitful Christmas. Got the Song of Ice and Fire boxed set... 4 books...

I'll be back.... um.... soonish? :D

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2012, 06:47:18 PM »
One of us!  One of us!  One of us!

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 06:10:32 AM »
Spoiler alert... proceed only if you finished the latest book

Dany and her black dragon gather the Dothraki and finally leads them across the sea where she gathers new supporters.  (Harrenhall anyone?  You sure don't want your home looking like that now, do you.)

Jon Snow.  Wow, he can't be dead, can he?  G.R.R. sure has a habit of whacking his major characters but I think Jon will transfer his consciousness into one of the dragons as a skin-changer.  There are three dragons after all, and the original Targaryen conquerors had three dragons with three riders.  Some readers have speculated that Jon isn't the son of Ned Stark but rather the product of a relationship between Ned's sister, Lyanna, and the Targaryen prince Rhaegar.  Wouldn't it be wild if he and Dany somehow wind up as King and Queen.

So who would be the third rider?  Maybe another Stark, Brandon Stark, who is now a greenseer and skin-changer as well.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 04:35:53 PM »
Yeah R+L=J is a very common theory and one that most consider to be a given more than a theory.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 02:50:43 PM »
Ok, so I'm 120 pages into Game of Thrones. End of first episode, second episode on etc. (I'll be noticing that as I read, I find the adaptation process kinda interesting) Little things left out of the first episode are a lot. And, many of those little things are making me not like Catelyn Stark at the moment. Really not like.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 03:48:16 PM »
Without getting too spoilery for you the subject of Catlyn is (like most things ASOIAF) layered and complicated.  You can easily get an unlikeable vibe from her early on, especiallly (and I'll assume this is where you are going) regarding her relationship to Jon Snow.  I think the show plays it up a bit stronger because we don't have the luxury of a lot of the backstory and character thoughts that you get from the book, so the show has to spell it out quickly and directly.

To put it bluntly Jon is an open wound that Catlyn has had to live with for 15 years.  The very beginnings of their marriage was strained enough as they got to know each other, only to have Ned go to war and come home with a bastard son.  But you should start feeling a little more sympathy for her as the book progresses, but eventually most people end up on one side of the Cat debate or the other.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 07:05:09 PM »
No, no, I get the open wound part. The part that rubs me the wrong way is the lack of subtlety on Lady Catelyns part.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 08:32:57 PM »
Personally, I have no sympathy for her ridiculous behaviour towards Jon.  She's essentially being a stereotypical wicked step-mother for no good reason.  It's not like Ned brought the mistress home.  If there's an "open wound" it's from a knife she's twisting in her own gut.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 09:41:40 PM »
I never have liked Lady Cat very much at all. I think she is weak and verging on pathetic. And I think she made Sansa what she is: even more weak and pathetic. (I don't like Sansa AT ALL.) It takes something absolutely catastrophic for Cat to grow a pair.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 10:16:38 PM »
No, no, I get the open wound part. The part that rubs me the wrong way is the lack of subtlety on Lady Catelyns part.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing her behavior.  She will in the future do things to either strengthen your feelings or lessen them.  Seeing the two opinions already stated, you can see you aren't alone in your assessment.  Me, I'm probably in a more neutral position regarding her.  I will not deny she is horrible to Jon.  To be fair, when all is said and done, you can pretty much find something about every character in ASOIAF (with very few exceptions) that is horrible.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 03:19:37 PM »
And I think she made Sansa what she is: even more weak and pathetic. (I don't like Sansa AT ALL.)

Since Profit brought up this topic I'll leave it spoiler free (or as close as possible).

At the risk of sounding like a Cat apologist I'm going to disagree a bit with this.  I think Sansa is more a product of the Westeros society and her place as a daughter of a Lord of one of the great houses.  I don't think she acts any different than most of the "pretty" daughters of noble houses.  She only seems more problematic because her sister is Arya who is obviously the exception to the rule.  Cat is the one most opposed to the move to King's Landing and she isn't thrilled with the notion of the marriage of Joffrey and Sansa.  I think if anything it's Ned that is greatly to blame for much of Sansa's "decisions" later in the book.  His stance on honor and Sansa's trust in others to be honorable is what leads her down the path she ends up on.  It's Ned's stance on honor that lead's him to accept the position as Robert's Hand and the marriage of their children. Now I don't blame Ned whole cloth, but I think there is more blame to be passed around and I'm not so sure in this instance it's really Cat's fault.

Septipheran

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 05:08:46 AM »
I never have liked Lady Cat very much at all. I think she is weak and verging on pathetic. And I think she made Sansa what she is: even more weak and pathetic. (I don't like Sansa AT ALL.) It takes something absolutely catastrophic for Cat to grow a pair.

First of all, so stoked for season 3 of GOT. Second, I don't like Cat at all. She is the biggest fail character in the novels. She is basically responsible for every single horrible thing that happens to her family. I don't dislike Sansa because she's only a kid- I think Arya just sets the bar really high in terms of being an awesome person, which inevitably leads people to judge Sansa according to that measuring stick. I like to think that Sansa will have redeeming qualities as she gets older and finds her voice. Not everyone can be born awesome, especially in a universe defined by human imperfection and nuance.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 05:49:36 AM »
Still in the first book. Still don't like Catelyn. Hate the Queen as much as ever, just due to having Ned put down Lady. I could overlook lots, but not that. And I knew it was coming.

Danerys is probably my favorite character. She was in the show as well. I'm torn between having Jon or Robb conquer the realm, or Danerys return and take it. Haven't reached the part in the book where Khal Drogo kills Viserys yet, but I'm drooling for it. I am 220 pages in roughly, and Danerys has just humilated Visery by taking his horse.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 06:21:57 AM »
Hate the Queen as much as ever, just due to having Ned put down Lady. I could overlook lots, but not that. And I knew it was coming.

Yeah, that was kind of a "kick the dog" moment, there.  I mean, the attempted murder of a child was evil, too, but at least there was a bit more reason in it.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »
I just read that a few days ago, but I don't recall the queen ordering Jaime to attempt to kill Bran. That was his solution to Bran seeing them wasn't it?

Septipheran

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2013, 11:43:07 PM »
I just read that a few days ago, but I don't recall the queen ordering Jaime to attempt to kill Bran. That was his solution to Bran seeing them wasn't it?

That was Jaime. There was really no time to conspire since it was sort of creative, on the spot problem solving lol. For what it's worth though, Jaime is my favorite character in the entire series. Give him some time and I think you'll find yourself really liking him eventually.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 12:07:41 AM »
That was Jaime. There was really no time to conspire since it was sort of creative, on the spot problem solving lol. For what it's worth though, Jaime is my favorite character in the entire series. Give him some time and I think you'll find yourself really liking him eventually.

She didn't tell him to do it, but she didn't mind one bit.  Cersei is horrible.

Septipheran

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 12:12:22 AM »
She didn't tell him to do it, but she didn't mind one bit.  Cersei is horrible.

Yeah... But karma and all that. It seems like there are people here who haven't read all the books so I don't want to say more than that.  :P

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 12:53:42 AM »
I haven't read the books but I did see the first two seasons. So, you can kinda gauge where I am and what I know. In th book Tyrion is about to leave the wall, maybe a hair farther.

Septipheran

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 01:28:45 AM »
I haven't read the books but I did see the first two seasons. So, you can kinda gauge where I am and what I know. In th book Tyrion is about to leave the wall, maybe a hair farther.

Suffice it to say that Cersei "gets what's coming" to her. :)

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 08:19:48 PM »
I will figure Tyrion out... I. Will. LoL.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 04:39:03 AM »
I will figure Tyrion out... I. Will. LoL.

He's the main protagonist in my eyes.  When (normally I'd say "if", but it seems like *everyone* is going to die in this series) he dies, so likely will my interest in the story.

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 02:53:06 AM »
He's the main protagonist in my eyes.  When (normally I'd say "if", but it seems like *everyone* is going to die in this series) he dies, so likely will my interest in the story.

Read the books, for the love of Pete!  There's no way even a well-produced series like HBO's GoT can capture all the nuances and storylines going on in these books.  G.R.R. Martin has no qualms about killing off characters and those who continue in the series evolve in the most interesting ways.  Just wish he had an editor.  If only someone would cut the verbage down a bit, like the way Tom Clancy needs to be edited as well.  Tighter storylines would be great in a world so massive as Westeros.  You'd be surprised with the developments, for certain. 

Make mine Tyrion.  And Arya.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2013, 05:24:00 AM »
Read the books, for the love of Pete!

I have and am (Dance of Dragons is proving to be the second longest time it has taken me to finish a book I started - the first place going to Silmarillion at about the 20 year mark).  I've barely seen any of the HBO series.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 06:12:47 PM »
GAH. for having been such a great warrior and friend, Robert Baratheon is one of the stupidest people.

Sigh.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2013, 07:48:33 PM »
Great warrior, good friend, bad king, bad husband, bad dad.

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2013, 08:08:11 PM »
Just a quick check if you guys can enlighten me. A dance with dragons is the latest book in the series so far, right? or is the next one already out there? hard to say since it seems they get kinda delayed here in Spain, even without translation.

Regarding the characters, I'd say Arya is by far the most awesome one. I could easily add Tyrion as equally good, but I'm not sure I'd find Tyrion so awesome if I didn't picture him as Peter Dinklage.

Now Jon seemed cool to me the at the beginning of the saga but, as the books progress, I feel Jon was a very promising character that has been rushed up and lost both substance and style so kinda hoping he gets fixed...

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 09:47:01 PM »
ADwD is the latest book, yes.  And don't expect the new one anytime soon.  It will probably be at least summer 2014. Martin isn't giving any indication this time around as the last time he made promises he was off by about 5 years.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2013, 05:13:55 PM »
What I read just then was, "Profit, you need to slow down, you are reading it to fast."

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 05:49:07 PM »
GAH

*shakes fist*

GAH

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 05:58:18 PM »
Let me guess.  You're on book 3?

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 07:07:39 PM »
No, i slowed my book 1 reading while I am studying for my ccna, but i read a little of it last night, hence the gah.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2013, 03:21:42 PM »
The gah was for Sansa by the way.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2013, 04:21:59 PM »
The gah was for Sansa by the way.

She'll do that.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2013, 11:59:21 PM »

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2013, 09:52:23 PM »
Seems like in the first book, Joffery isn't as big a prick as he is in the first season of the book.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2013, 11:52:29 PM »
Seems like in the first book, Joffery isn't as big a prick as he is in the first season of the book.
Joffrey's always a prick, the show just condensed a lot of the little things he did into smaller time frames.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2013, 01:58:44 AM »
I retract my earlier Joffrey statement.

Replace with,"Joffrey is a bigger prick than in the show."
I will say the show didn't stray to much from exactly how that scene is laid out.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2013, 02:02:29 PM »
I retract my earlier Joffrey statement.

Replace with,"Joffrey is a bigger prick than in the show."

He'll do that.  A lot.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2013, 04:13:10 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4XSeW4B5Rg

Squeeee, drool, Squeeeeee, drool.

Less than two weeks.  Can't wait!

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2013, 03:08:33 AM »
Starting book 2.....

I think I like hearing (reading?) what is going on in Jon snows head better in the book. In the show he is very one dimensional.

Also.... BRING ON THE DRAGONS!!!!

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2013, 11:54:02 PM »
24 hours away.  Woot!  Can not wait and will be here to discuss thoughts on Season 3 Ep. 1.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2013, 04:46:40 AM »
So much story to catch up that I really think the first two episodes are the true "first" episode.

Unlike a lot of people on other forums, I wasn't as bummed we missed the big fight on the Fist.  Realistically that would have broken the budget for the season.

Liked Jon's introduction to Mance and his inner circle.  The Show's Mance works for me.

Loved Tyrion and Tywin.  I'd watch an hour of those two just dueling it out with words.

The Bronn stuff was a lot of rehash (you pay me, blah blah) and an excuse for some HBO required T&A.

Loved Davos (loved those portions in the book and the show is doing them well) both his rescue and confrontation with Stannis.

The Dany stuff was very well done and more faithful than last season (I for one probably enjoyed the changes to Qarth more than others as I found all but the House of the Undying pretty boring).  I'm glad they didn't try to hide who Arstan Whitebeard was.  I don't think it would have worked on TV and I think they can pretty easily use something else for her "betrayal" later on.

My concerns......... (Pretty big spoilers here on if you aren't a book reader)
(And if you didn't read the thread header)
(You've been warned)

In general I find "Previously ons......" annoying for shows, especially shows with lots of twists and turns.  Mainly because they telegraph things coming up.  I understand they are for to update people and make sure you are on point with things that happened episodes even seasons ago, but too many times the just plain give away something down the road.  And I'm concerned the RW won't be the shocker it is in the books.  Between the weekly reminders of Robb's vow to gain the bridge I also worry they are going to play up the discontent with Bolton too much to remind the less than observant fans that something is about to happen.

To me, the cornerstone to ASOIAF is the RW.  Even after Ned in Book 1 its the event in the series that shakes the reader into realizing this isn't just any old fantasy.  I hope they let Roose at least seem a little more loyal when the Karstark stuff plays out to divert the viewers attention away from the Boltons and the Freys.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2013, 02:38:30 PM »
I can't think of what "RW" means...

Ah, but I did finally work my way through A Dance with Dragons.  A whole lot of nothing punctuated with a little WTF is about how I sum up the book.  There are too many threads fluttering wildly about and the more of them unravel the fewer I want to try to keep up with.  Right now I'm interested in Tyrion, Arya, Jaime, and Daenerys.  I was interested in Jon Snow, but now he truly knows Nothing... though I fear he's going to become a new king beyond the Wall of sorts.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2013, 06:03:52 PM »
Even though this is an all book spoiler thread I'll warn of a spoiler for book 3
__________________________________________________________________________________

RW= Red Wedding

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2013, 04:14:02 AM »
It must not have affected me as strongly as it did you.  I only vaguely recalled it when it was referenced in ADwD.  Indeed, I was trying to recall what had happened to Catelyn. ;P

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2013, 02:01:59 AM »
The Battle of Blackwater was awesome, but I think that final scene tonight might have been the best of the series (or maybe even TV) so far.  I got chills.  Great episode.

MG

• Underling
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2013, 11:29:03 AM »
I second that, MM. I've been waiting for Dany to get her Crowning Moment of Awesome and they pulled it off nicely.

MG

• Underling
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2013, 10:56:46 AM »
What, no reactions to the Red Wedding on screen?  ;)

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2013, 01:23:39 PM »
I've been working on a big write up regarding this episode and the red wedding, but I just hadn't gotten to it yet.

Short answer: loved it.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2013, 05:18:10 PM »
Not having read the books, the only forewarning I had was from a conversation from a friend who said, "Oh, that's where they are in the story?  Something epic is going to happen soon.  I don't want to spoil it for you, though."

Spoiler for Hidden:
I knew as soon as the doors to the banquet hall closed that something big was about to happen.  I just had no idea how horrible it was going to be.

And out of all of it, I think I felt bad for Arya and Grey Wind more than anyone else.

Also interesting to see not one but two narrowly missed opportunities for the Stark children to reunite with one another.

Excellent episode.

And all after I'd just watched the episode of Breaking Bad where Hank gets into the shootout in the parking lot.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2013, 07:38:45 PM »
I would love to see the show but it hasn't popped up anywhere I can conveniently see it.  I could probably torrent it, but that brings with it its own inconveniences.

MG

• Underling
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2013, 09:18:38 PM »
I eagerly await your write-up, MM.

I enjoyed it as well. Despite the fact that I knew it was coming, it was still a very powerful scene. Cat's pleas for Robb's life at the end were especially wrenching. Michelle Fairley should get an Emmy!

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2013, 06:15:20 PM »

I recall reading somewhere that he initially planned on it, but liked Tyrion too much to do so. In my searching for evidence to support my vague recollection, I didn't find anything, except for a new book about Tyrion coming out this year: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/02/new-game-of-thrones-book-_n_3200498.html
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame