Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire (All Book Spoilers) Discussion  (Read 16223 times)

Mental Maden

• Boss
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (All Book Spoilers) Discussion
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2013, 07:48:33 PM »
Great warrior, good friend, bad king, bad husband, bad dad.

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2013, 08:08:11 PM »
Just a quick check if you guys can enlighten me. A dance with dragons is the latest book in the series so far, right? or is the next one already out there? hard to say since it seems they get kinda delayed here in Spain, even without translation.

Regarding the characters, I'd say Arya is by far the most awesome one. I could easily add Tyrion as equally good, but I'm not sure I'd find Tyrion so awesome if I didn't picture him as Peter Dinklage.

Now Jon seemed cool to me the at the beginning of the saga but, as the books progress, I feel Jon was a very promising character that has been rushed up and lost both substance and style so kinda hoping he gets fixed...

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 09:47:01 PM »
ADwD is the latest book, yes.  And don't expect the new one anytime soon.  It will probably be at least summer 2014. Martin isn't giving any indication this time around as the last time he made promises he was off by about 5 years.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2013, 05:13:55 PM »
What I read just then was, "Profit, you need to slow down, you are reading it to fast."

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 05:49:07 PM »
GAH

*shakes fist*

GAH

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 05:58:18 PM »
Let me guess.  You're on book 3?

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 07:07:39 PM »
No, i slowed my book 1 reading while I am studying for my ccna, but i read a little of it last night, hence the gah.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2013, 03:21:42 PM »
The gah was for Sansa by the way.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2013, 04:21:59 PM »
The gah was for Sansa by the way.

She'll do that.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2013, 11:59:21 PM »
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2013, 09:52:23 PM »
Seems like in the first book, Joffery isn't as big a prick as he is in the first season of the book.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2013, 11:52:29 PM »
Seems like in the first book, Joffery isn't as big a prick as he is in the first season of the book.
Joffrey's always a prick, the show just condensed a lot of the little things he did into smaller time frames.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2013, 01:58:44 AM »
I retract my earlier Joffrey statement.

Replace with,"Joffrey is a bigger prick than in the show."
I will say the show didn't stray to much from exactly how that scene is laid out.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2013, 02:02:29 PM »
I retract my earlier Joffrey statement.

Replace with,"Joffrey is a bigger prick than in the show."

He'll do that.  A lot.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2013, 04:13:10 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4XSeW4B5Rg

Squeeee, drool, Squeeeeee, drool.

Less than two weeks.  Can't wait!

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2013, 03:08:33 AM »
Starting book 2.....

I think I like hearing (reading?) what is going on in Jon snows head better in the book. In the show he is very one dimensional.

Also.... BRING ON THE DRAGONS!!!!

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2013, 11:54:02 PM »
24 hours away.  Woot!  Can not wait and will be here to discuss thoughts on Season 3 Ep. 1.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2013, 04:46:40 AM »
So much story to catch up that I really think the first two episodes are the true "first" episode.

Unlike a lot of people on other forums, I wasn't as bummed we missed the big fight on the Fist.  Realistically that would have broken the budget for the season.

Liked Jon's introduction to Mance and his inner circle.  The Show's Mance works for me.

Loved Tyrion and Tywin.  I'd watch an hour of those two just dueling it out with words.

The Bronn stuff was a lot of rehash (you pay me, blah blah) and an excuse for some HBO required T&A.

Loved Davos (loved those portions in the book and the show is doing them well) both his rescue and confrontation with Stannis.

The Dany stuff was very well done and more faithful than last season (I for one probably enjoyed the changes to Qarth more than others as I found all but the House of the Undying pretty boring).  I'm glad they didn't try to hide who Arstan Whitebeard was.  I don't think it would have worked on TV and I think they can pretty easily use something else for her "betrayal" later on.

My concerns......... (Pretty big spoilers here on if you aren't a book reader)
(And if you didn't read the thread header)
(You've been warned)

In general I find "Previously ons......" annoying for shows, especially shows with lots of twists and turns.  Mainly because they telegraph things coming up.  I understand they are for to update people and make sure you are on point with things that happened episodes even seasons ago, but too many times the just plain give away something down the road.  And I'm concerned the RW won't be the shocker it is in the books.  Between the weekly reminders of Robb's vow to gain the bridge I also worry they are going to play up the discontent with Bolton too much to remind the less than observant fans that something is about to happen.

To me, the cornerstone to ASOIAF is the RW.  Even after Ned in Book 1 its the event in the series that shakes the reader into realizing this isn't just any old fantasy.  I hope they let Roose at least seem a little more loyal when the Karstark stuff plays out to divert the viewers attention away from the Boltons and the Freys.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2013, 02:38:30 PM »
I can't think of what "RW" means...

Ah, but I did finally work my way through A Dance with Dragons.  A whole lot of nothing punctuated with a little WTF is about how I sum up the book.  There are too many threads fluttering wildly about and the more of them unravel the fewer I want to try to keep up with.  Right now I'm interested in Tyrion, Arya, Jaime, and Daenerys.  I was interested in Jon Snow, but now he truly knows Nothing... though I fear he's going to become a new king beyond the Wall of sorts.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2013, 06:03:52 PM »
Even though this is an all book spoiler thread I'll warn of a spoiler for book 3
__________________________________________________________________________________

RW= Red Wedding