Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire (All Book Spoilers) Discussion  (Read 16361 times)

Mental Maden

• Boss
A Song of Ice and Fire (All Book Spoilers) Discussion
« on: December 19, 2012, 03:42:04 PM »
I really enjoyed this thread over at the CH/VC forums so figured I'd start one here while we wait on the Winds of Winter (might be a while).  I'm not sure how many of you are around, but here goes.  For those who aren't caught up on the books, here is your last warning.

BOOK SPOILERS AHEAD!!! Do Not proceed unless you don't mind spoilers up through the last book published!!!

So for our first topic (many of these will be repeats of the previous thread)

Dany- agent of good or evil?  Does this Targ Apple not fall far from the tree or will she save the realm?

Discuss!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (All Book Spoilers) Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 04:47:41 PM »
Dany is my third favorite character, so I hope she doesn't end up crazy or evil.

(My favorite character is Arya and my second fav is Tyrion. For obvs reasons.)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 07:16:19 PM »
I have to read these books... sigh...

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 07:32:04 PM »
Do it!  Do it!  One of us.  One of us.  One of us.

KnightHawk Prime

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:44:05 PM »
Dany is my third favorite character, so I hope she doesn't end up crazy or evil.

(My favorite character is Arya and my second fav is Tyrion. For obvs reasons.)

Because you're short, female, cute and have a sword scar across the bridge of the nose?

'Salright, I have the same top three in the same order, so right there with you.

And I *am* short, female and have a sword scar across the bridge of the nose.

Oh, wait, that was one of my CoH (Now Champions) toons. I'm none of the above. ;]

----------

Personally? I think Dany will end up coming to Westeros to conquer it, and end up saving everyone from the White Walkers and Those Who Rule Them, with the help of Her Dragons, Bran the SkinWalker, Summer, the Wildling Shaman Osha and the Children.

Mormont will end up the Commander of the WhiteCloaks, and will end up as consort to Dany, and her Lord Protector.

Arya will end up Queen of the North, Married to Gedryn (He's Doomed), and Tyrion will end up the Queen's Hand (Dany's) and Regent of King's landing, married (Again) to Sansa, and Sansa will *finally* get someone who will take care of her.

And Littlefinger, after all the manipulations and deceits, all the web pulling behind the crown, ends up surviving and becoming the Treasurer for the Crown. With Tyrion watching him carefully, of course.

Cersei meets Daenarys, which results in Cersei getting eaten by one of the Dragons less than two minutes later.

This, of course, gives the Dragon indigestion.

Jaime dies trying to save Cersei, and gets eaten by the same Dragon, and then they are together, forever, at long last.

[Alt: Jaime pulls his head out of his butt about Cersei, *lets* the Dragon eat her, and becomes Dany's Marshal of the Armies, with the understanding between Jaime, Mormont and Dany, that if she goes insane and tries to destroy everything, he and Mormont will make sure she *doesn't* succeed.

The KingSlayer has no problem becoming the QueenSlayer, *if* it becomes necessary.]

And Arya, before she is crowned Queen of the North, disappears for a time, quietly assassinates Varys, and takes control of all his little birds, becoming the head of intelligence for both Kingdoms, to prevent this wide a civil war from ever repeating, in case the White Walkers and Those Who Rule Them, ever try to come back.

There's a *reason* she accepts the Crown of the Queen of the North. As a Coronation Present, and to cement the permanent alliance between the two Kingdoms, Queen Daenarys gifts Queen Arya with the first egg from the new generation of Dragons. Appropriately, it's a *White* Dragon, that breathes blue-white Dragonflame.

And of course Arya accepts the Crown. It's her *Duty*. She Is a Stark, after all. The North is her responsibility.

Winter is Coming, but not for a long, long, time, if Queen Arya of Winterfell has anything to say about it.

How's that?

2cp. ;]

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 01:14:17 AM »
How's that?

Crackpotty goodness  ;D

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 05:32:10 AM »
Tyrion is the reason I read the series.  I still haven't finished the latest book, though.  I keep getting stalled and/or distracted.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 03:13:33 PM »
Honestly, didn't know the books existed before I Started watching Game of Thrones. But, since books are nearly almost always better than shows about books, I think I need to read the books now. Also, at this point, less wait time with the books for me :D

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 03:38:58 PM »
Honestly, didn't know the books existed before I Started watching Game of Thrones. But, since books are nearly almost always better than shows about books, I think I need to read the books now. Also, at this point, less wait time with the books for me :D

While I love the show, the books are so so so so so so so so so much denser.  If you like a lot of detail and minutiea (in the best possible way), do it now!  The show is great but is a fairly superficial representation of the source material.  But start at book 1, don't think because you have seen Season 1 and 2 you know what's going on bookwise.  One of us! One of us!

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 04:17:38 PM »
May as well chime into my own question.

I do not think Dany is an agent for good and I don't think her winning the Iron Throne will be a good thing for the realm.  No, I'm not a Dany hater.  I just don't buy that she is entitled to the Iron Throne, nor do I think she'd make a good ruler of Westeros.  To rule because you have dragons is no different than the Valyrians ruling over slaves because they had dragons.  (I'll come back to that in a second)  I don't think the Targ dynasty was good for Westeros so I don't feel that she is entitled to take the throne, she is afterall a foreigner to Westeros.

That said, I don't think Dany is bad or evil or even dumb like many people do.  I just don't think (even though her intensions may be good) that she'd be anything but a destroying force over time and the madness of the Targs concerns me.

How do I think things will end for Dany?

I don't think she and Jon are destined for each other romantically, but I can see them being on opposing sides in the end.  Who'll win?  Well if Sam learns what I think he'll learn things may not be tipped on Dany's side like they seem now.  So things may not end so good for Ms. Stormborne.

What would I like to see happen or think may happen?  I think she may win the Throne semi-bloodlessly but will soon realize (after her time in Slaver's Bay) that the throne she worked so hard to get is merely another form of slavery.  I then think she'll break the kingdoms back up into the pre Targ Westeros or something close to it and she'll retire with her "children" on Dragonstone.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 05:43:42 PM by Mental Maden »

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »
Whatever happens, I foresee Bran becoming a dragon.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 01:42:36 PM »
You're assuming Daenerys will even get around to going to Westboros...  :P

I think a key player going forward will be the Iron Bank, which wants a regime change and Cersei dead. Obviously they'll choose to back the faction that will repay Westboro's obligations; if Stannis's army survives the siege of Winterfell, Stannis would make a good choice (unlike the Greyjoys who've turned to marauding). Of course, even if they survive the siege they'll likely have to deal with the Others since it seems very unlikely the Night's Watch could repel an Other incursion in its current chaotic state (and remember, winter is here.). If Stannis is unable to claim the Iron Throne, the question then becomes who could and would the Iron Bank back them? Golden Company & Dorne? Daenerys? Perhaps the Iron Bank will make use of the services of a certain Braavos temple?

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 03:49:25 PM »
Welcome to the conversation Carcass.  I like the way you think.

I agree on you thoughts on the Iron Bank, especially the part about the Faceless Men.  But if you are suggesting that Arya might be dispatched to do the deed, isn't there a rule in the FM that you can not be hired to kill someone you know?  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Cersei meet the pointy end of Needle.

I'm Team Stannis.  I don't think he'll end up on the Iron Throne (at least permanently), but I would love it if he did.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 07:33:35 PM »
I'd be for Stannis if that witch with him dies screaming first.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 09:31:16 PM »
I don't want Stannis on the throne. He is easily manipulated (Red Witch, fr'ex) and that makes for a bad king.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 03:08:50 PM »
Ok, it's been a fruitful Christmas. Got the Song of Ice and Fire boxed set... 4 books...

I'll be back.... um.... soonish? :D

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2012, 06:47:18 PM »
One of us!  One of us!  One of us!

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 06:10:32 AM »
Spoiler alert... proceed only if you finished the latest book

Dany and her black dragon gather the Dothraki and finally leads them across the sea where she gathers new supporters.  (Harrenhall anyone?  You sure don't want your home looking like that now, do you.)

Jon Snow.  Wow, he can't be dead, can he?  G.R.R. sure has a habit of whacking his major characters but I think Jon will transfer his consciousness into one of the dragons as a skin-changer.  There are three dragons after all, and the original Targaryen conquerors had three dragons with three riders.  Some readers have speculated that Jon isn't the son of Ned Stark but rather the product of a relationship between Ned's sister, Lyanna, and the Targaryen prince Rhaegar.  Wouldn't it be wild if he and Dany somehow wind up as King and Queen.

So who would be the third rider?  Maybe another Stark, Brandon Stark, who is now a greenseer and skin-changer as well.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 04:35:53 PM »
Yeah R+L=J is a very common theory and one that most consider to be a given more than a theory.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 02:50:43 PM »
Ok, so I'm 120 pages into Game of Thrones. End of first episode, second episode on etc. (I'll be noticing that as I read, I find the adaptation process kinda interesting) Little things left out of the first episode are a lot. And, many of those little things are making me not like Catelyn Stark at the moment. Really not like.