Author Topic: Become Devices  (Read 2088 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Become Devices
« on: December 24, 2012, 05:17:32 AM »
So, anyone had much experience with those yet?

A CO friend gave me loaned/gave (not entirely sure yet) some temporary become devices from the Halloween Set.

While they are relatively expensive in the C Store-- about the price of the new vehicles and some of them are not available in game
right now-- the ones that I got to try right now came across as being relatively fun and have me contemplating the possibility of doing
something that I never could in COH (other than with Kheldians):

Make a shapeshifter with different powers based on the form he took.

I'm not entirely sure how successful that wold be as the Becomes have a relatively limited number of powers but it occurs to me that I
might make the experiment. The prices on the auction house don't seem super expensive for the Halloween ones.

Was just wondering what others think of the devices.

(For those who don't know, a Become Device in CO will allow you to take on a different appearance than your regular character with the
alt form having different powers. In the CO Store right now you can buy several varieties of a Werewolf as well as Djinn and (I think) Ninjas.
The Halloween ones include a rather nice look Frankenstein, a Ghost, and a Mummy.)

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
Re: Become Devices
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 10:21:58 AM »
I'm not really a big fan of the Becomes devices.

As you noted, they're somewhat limited.

The only reason I even bought the Super Enlarge was for visibility purposes on Tanker Tuesdays.

Basically the Becomes powers are the precursors the the vehicles system.  Unfortunately the vehicles system is designed to nickel and dime you to death.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 02:44:36 PM »
I had a lot of fun with the ones that dropped during the winter event, particularly the snowman. Haven't had experiences with any of the other ones, however. Seems like they could be good for RP purposes, but if they are as limited as the snowman was, I could see gameplay getting boring.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 03:29:24 PM »
Unfortunately the vehicles system is designed to nickel and dime you to death.

To be fair, pretty much everything added to the game especially since PWE bought them out has been designed to nickle and dime you to death. It's their style, and not really Cryptic's fault.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 12:54:09 AM »
All becomes are very limited compared to your own powers; sure you get access to a whole new set of temporary powers, and some of the becomes have more powers as you level up, but they're not as good as natively-picked powers.  You can't add advantages, and you can't change the hotkeys (at least not permanently; they'll reset if you change back and then transform again.)

Also, most becomes are time-limited, meaning you'll eventually lose the ability to use them.  Permanent becomes are worth your weight in global resources.

I was highly disappointed by the power armor become in the Harmon Labs alert, for instance - my Glacier AT tank had 8k HP due to scaling prior to using it.  Afterwards, 5k, and I wound up dying to Warlord in like 15 seconds.