Author Topic: Massively article on CO for CoH players.  (Read 3344 times)

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss

Aleksandros

• Minion
Re: Massively article on CO for CoH players.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 03:58:19 PM »
An interesting read, and sound advice.  May have to look into going to Gold in CO, my time away from Paragon is definitely cramping the stress-relief options I have now .

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 06:51:07 PM »
"Your energy builder is not an attack."

So why in the name of Statesman does it do damage!?

In fact, why does it exist at all? Gah.

Ok, I'm not quite as annoyed about this as I once was but it still seems to be an overly clunky mechanic. Either make it a simple attack or make it a non damaging effect that build's power rfor another attack (i.e. Titan Weapon's Momentum)

As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 08:03:54 PM »
He goes on to clarify that it does do damage, but it is not meant to be primarily an attack.  It's primarily used for building energy, with doing damage as a distant second.  (Maybe even distant third, given the useful secondary effects some energy-builders have)

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 09:44:03 PM »
"Your energy builder is not an attack."

So why in the name of Statesman does it do damage!?
I'll admit the mechanic is clunky as all-get-out, but the Energy Builder can be used to finish off weakened enemies.  I use it all the time to finish off those annoying melee henchmen that just barely survive an Ice Blast or Snow Storm.  It's also handy for missions where you're required to damage an enemy until they perform a certain emote, and then use a device on them.  Honestly though, I think Energy Builders as a whole need to be looked at by the devs.

All EBs that have combat advantages (like increased crit rates, or improved damage vs. a target suffering from a status ailment) need to have them removed and replaced with stuff that makes them useful in a support role (like advantages that increase the proc rate of the EB's status effects, or allow the EB to generate more energy, or let it produce an additional secondary status effect proc.)  A fantastic example would be Ice Shards; there is no point to the Ice Impaler advantage, because ice shards are so weak to begin with.  The only thing useful about them would be if you have a specialization or power that reacts to crits (and more often than not, EBs are excluded from these - such as Concentration and gaining a stack when hitting enemies from over 25 feet away.)

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 12:01:35 AM »
While I agree about EB for the most part, they're still bread and butter attacks for the early levels until you can get a energy unlock.
Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 01:46:55 AM »
I've gotten over being annoyed by the energy builder. Once you click it, it stays toggled on until you switch targets. I basically just toggle it and forget about it and do my other attacks. It seems to work better for me with that mindset.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 01:55:55 AM »
An interesting read, and sound advice.  May have to look into going to Gold in CO, my time away from Paragon is definitely cramping the stress-relief options I have now .

I'm glad I went gold. I was having fun with the game as a silver player, but it's a little more fun gold. II like having the freedom to pair my own powersets. I also am looking forward to getting my free hideout, as soon as I figure out which one  I want to get. There's a lot of CoH players over there, so it is really starting to feel like home. It isn't exactly the same, and the game needs work, but I like it.

NoName

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 09:08:44 PM »
General chat is absolute garbage. I started up today to help someone on missions and I saw 1 hour of "X is a noob", "X is a scammer", and 50 people selling stuff followed by X that is selling is a scammer/noob or combination of the 2.

Anyone know what global channels are good and hopefully populated with COH vets? Don't want to be elitist but This chat is 10 times worse than I have seen in AP on it's worst day.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 10:26:55 PM »
The main CoH refugee channel is "CoX".  It's usually very lively.  Sometimes too lively for me. :D

There's also "CoH", but it's rarely used.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 12:29:26 AM »
General chat is absolute garbage. I started up today to help someone on missions and I saw 1 hour of "X is a noob", "X is a scammer", and 50 people selling stuff followed by X that is selling is a scammer/noob or combination of the 2.

Anyone know what global channels are good and hopefully populated with COH vets? Don't want to be elitist but This chat is 10 times worse than I have seen in AP on it's worst day.

Oh yeah, I don't even look at general chat. I just stay in the CoX global. It's always plenty chatty because it covers STO, too.