Author Topic: My "farewell to the official servers" video is finally done.  (Read 24603 times)

Zekiran

• Lieutenant
Re: My "farewell to the official servers" video is finally done.
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 12:33:21 AM »
Just one question - what is that bouncing box behind Castle?

I believe the TV came out of it. :)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 01:37:41 AM »
Leandro uses my emotions as his little toys....

*bawls*
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Wyrm

• Stop Dragon My Heart Around
  • Boss
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 01:50:08 AM »
Fantastic.

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 02:01:38 AM »
finally got to watch it! Three times so far.... :) 8)  :'( :gonk: :)
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 02:03:27 AM »

Just a guess... Pohsyb?

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 03:08:58 AM »
I actually had the honor to meet myself the last day after a mapserve. Decided to alt and came back to where I was and my other toon was still standing there.  :o Freaky, but kinda cool.

I have the screenie!

?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 03:34:55 AM »
I have the screenie!

Ha!  Totally forgot you had that! That's so priceless!!
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 05:48:48 AM »
Just a guess... Pohsyb?

Codewalker wins a cookie!

Any particular reason you choose two songs from Joss Whedon series to use as a soundtrack?  Besides their lyrics and being somewhat appropriate?

Reason I'm asking was when 'ko used the piece from the last episode of B5 for her farewell to the game video, it already had been associated with great sadness of letting go of something that's been with you for years with me, even though I hadn't heard that piece or watched that episode in over 10 years, the connection was still there.  The same could be said with your two selections, invoking a preexisting emotional response due to the context when we first heard them.

Okay, I'm going to be lynched here, but I didn't like the use of B5's "Sleeping in Light" in Samuraiko's video. Babylon 5's finale showed the station being decommissioned after it had become obsolete, after achieving all the goals it set out to do, just to prevent it from being taken over/used by rogue forces that would soil its history. It was a completely different type of ending than the one COH got, with the plug pulled at its prime and not even given a proper ending event.

So in that case, the association of the song with B5 actually played against the video for me. It didn't fit, at all.

Now for the songs I picked; the episode of Dollhouse that features Remains is not an ending. It's set after the world's gone to hell, sure, and odds are all against the characters. But it's not the end; people are still fighting in the ruins of the world to try to save it. I felt the theme of the episode matched the current situation of COH, not just the song.

I actually haven't watched all of Buffy, and I didn't like the episode "Where do we go from here?" came from. I don't even remember much other than it being the closing song of the episode, so I picked it pretty much for the lyrics only. Very much like I'd pick "Is there anybody out there?" by Pink Floyd if I were showing an isolated hero trying to reach out.

Both songs being from Whedon series is arguably coincidence, but I find that Whedon is pretty good at the sort of emotion I wanted to generate with this video.

Another reason I picked those songs is copyright issues. I avoid using copyrighted songs because then YouTube throws a fit and won't let mobile users see it. Songs from TV series that were not commercially released tend to fare better, and in fact, "Remains" is not picked up by their content detection at all; that's why I decided to use it back in November. Unfortunately, I didn't check "Where do we go from here?" and so I was unpleasantly surprised to see the video being blocked specifically for that song. If I had known, I might have tried harder to find a fitting song that didn't trigger YouTube's content filters.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 06:33:29 AM by Leandro »

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 05:58:31 AM »

Okay, I'm going to be lynched here, but I didn't like the use of B5's "Sleeping in Light" in Samuraiko's video. Babylon 5's finale showed the station being decommissioned after it had become obsolete, after achieving all the goals it set out to do, just to prevent it from being taken over/used by rogue forces that would soil its history. It was a completely different type of ending than the one COH got, with the plug pulled at its prime and not even given a proper ending event.

So in that case, the association of the song with B5 actually played against the video for me. It didn't fit, at all.

Considering some of the OTHER comments I've gotten about "One Last Day", that was hardly worth lynching you for. :)

But if I'd used any of my earlier choices, I'd have been crying so hard I would never have finished the thing in the first place.

And as I've said in your YT comments, wow... just wow.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 07:41:15 AM »
But to me it was still an ending, of the series and of leaving a place you once called home for years, surrounded by familiar faces and then to witness its destruction.  The whys didn't matter to me.  It didn't matter that the show had run, for the most part, it's planned course; that in series the station had served it's purpose with distinction; that our game was being closed prematurely.  It was losing a place that I once called home and losing the characters I've grown to care about.

I admit your use of the song from Buffy in your video had more of a "lets band together to rebuild" feeling Leandro than "we have a job to do but I'm not sure we're close friends anymore" feeling which was how the song worked in the episode.  Still to me it was a song about loss and moving on so it still had an emotional impact for me in relation to our loss of the game.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

ThorsAssassin

• Boss
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2012, 09:45:32 AM »
Said it on Youtube and it deserves to be said again, AMAZING work here Leandro.

I am someone who loves to catch all the little things as well and after the 7th time watching I notices how all the characters are looking up just before the Meteor's break through the wall, also that flying dog is hilarious! Both in the group shot and in the end with the jetpack lol.

Wanted to also say again a huge thank you for adding TA in there. Was great to see him helping in the clean up and then the walk toward Atlas there at the end. Made my day.

On so many levels, you nailed this one man!

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 10:17:46 AM »
The flying dog was Black Pebble.  At least that was how he showed up to Arcana's little shindig on Beta.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

ThorsAssassin

• Boss
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2012, 10:20:36 AM »
The flying dog was Black Pebble.  At least that was how he showed up to Arcana's little shindig on Beta.

aah missed that bit as I was working when Arcana's big shindig was going on.

MoltenSlowa

• Underling
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2012, 10:23:55 AM »
Pow.
Right in the feels.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 11:47:43 AM »
I loved it on every possible level, but despite being moved to tears, I had to smile when I saw Sera, JM, Astra and Aedan of the Murdock family, together for the first time EVER.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

ThorsAssassin

• Boss
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2012, 01:22:42 PM »
I loved it on every possible level, but despite being moved to tears, I had to smile when I saw Sera, JM, Astra and Aedan of the Murdock family, together for the first time EVER.

lol awesome! Got a time stamp or a screenie?

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2012, 01:44:59 AM »
Now for the songs I picked; the episode of Dollhouse that features Remains is not an ending. It's set after the world's gone to hell, sure, and odds are all against the characters. But it's not the end; people are still fighting in the ruins of the world to try to save it. I felt the theme of the episode matched the current situation of COH, not just the song.

I actually haven't watched all of Buffy, and I didn't like the episode "Where do we go from here?" came from. I don't even remember much other than it being the closing song of the episode, so I picked it pretty much for the lyrics only. Very much like I'd pick "Is there anybody out there?" by Pink Floyd if I were showing an isolated hero trying to reach out.

Both songs being from Whedon series is arguably coincidence, but I find that Whedon is pretty good at the sort of emotion I wanted to generate with this video.

Another reason I picked those songs is copyright issues. I avoid using copyrighted songs because then YouTube throws a fit and won't let mobile users see it. Songs from TV series that were not commercially released tend to fare better, and in fact, "Remains" is not picked up by their content detection at all; that's why I decided to use it back in November. Unfortunately, I didn't check "Where do we go from here?" and so I was unpleasantly surprised to see the video being blocked specifically for that song. If I had known, I might have tried harder to find a fitting song that didn't trigger YouTube's content filters.

The Dollhouse song worked fine for me. The abstract feel of it with the destruction all around worked great. And considering the ambient feel,  I don't think seeing Dollhouse before watching this would've impacted it at all. "Where Do We Go From Here" is much more catchy (a bit TOO catchy for my taste) and makes it harder to pull away from the source material. Considering that you don't like that Buffy episode, it surprises me that you chose the song. That episode was one of those times where Whedon does one of the things he does best: taking a less-than-serious approach to his own material without butchering it in the process. The whole thing is rather silly, but it still made sense within the context of the show. I guess that actually makes it a fitting tribute song though, because that's one of the things CoH players always did quite well. I also can't think offhand what song I would pick for a hopeful post-apocalyptic story. I can think of a hundred that would fit the feeling of swim in the ashes of the ruined world... but one about wondering what comes next? Hmm... *ponders*

On the copyright issue, I've cut myself off of cheating copyright since I started doing CoH videos. Very quickly when I did the Unity Rally, I decided not to use a song that could get the video removed. Not just because of youtube's auto-detection, but if the video was legally gray in any way, it would give NCsoft an avenue to make it 'disappear' if they chose to by reporting it on their own.

I've got a Pink Floyd vid in the back of my head for CoH as well, but as you said, there's no point in even trying to get that online because it'll get booted by the copyright whores faster than you can blink.

Anyway, still... AMAZ-A-ZING!!!!

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2012, 03:14:48 AM »

That's Pohsyb

lol awesome! Got a time stamp or a screenie?

Left to right:

Astra Kyne Murdock (daughter, PB), Sera "Seraphic Flame" Murdock (wife, fire tank), John "JM" Murdock (husband, fire blaster), Aedan K'takai Murdock (son, WS), all talking to Vickie Victrix

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2012, 03:33:12 AM »
My fiancee swears up and down that her toon Gaia Stormsoul is in the video too, but I only saw from the back what *could be* her.
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2012, 04:23:37 AM »
My fiancee swears up and down that her toon Gaia Stormsoul is in the video too, but I only saw from the back what *could be* her.

"Could be"? She has a pretty distinctive look, I would whack you if I were your fiancee and you didn't recognize my toon.

I already deleted the custom maps I used for the scene, so here's that bit in the not-destroyed Atlas map, from another angle:

Note that I can extract your character from a Sentinel XML dump (preferred because it has your powersets), .costume file, or .cohdemo file. Just sent the file to leandrotlz@gmail.com and I'll have you dancing in Kallisti Wharf.