Author Topic: To Break and Heal Your Heart  (Read 2694 times)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
To Break and Heal Your Heart
« on: December 30, 2012, 11:28:10 AM »
As one of the commenters rightly says, this story will break and heal your heart, all at the same time.

Theodore Sturgeon's classic short story, "A Saucer of Loneliness"

http://fasterthanfashion.blogspot.com/2006/06/saucer-of-loneliness.html
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: To Break and Heal Your Heart
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 02:18:34 PM »
A mildly interesting tale, but I'm afraid it left me emotionally unaffected.  Perhaps because I generally find suicides unsympathetic, or perhaps because I'm largely at peace with my own loneliness.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Kuriositys Kat

• Lieutenant
Re: To Break and Heal Your Heart
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 11:50:24 PM »
 Yes, I remember reading this  in my turbulent teenage years.  I wrote the message in front of my note books along with  Frodo's speech to Sam at the end of LoTR as help to get through the day.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do!" - The Doctor