Author Topic: How to make your own maps.  (Read 87373 times)

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
Re: How to make your own maps.
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2013, 11:36:13 PM »
It really is a beautiful looking base, already.

Thanks Sparky,  ;D
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2013, 11:44:05 AM »
That remembers me an old game...
Yeeessss....

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2013, 03:23:21 PM »
Just added these to the third post, thanks to Hotaru:

War Walls (screenshot by Hotaru)

Blue war wall effects don't show in the screenies because of the stark white background, but should display correctly in a normal scene.

Tunnels (screenshot by Hotaru)

City Walls (screenshot by Hotaru)

I'll see about putting them in a ParagonWiki page instead, the thread is getting messy.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2013, 10:55:26 PM »

So when do we get to play SimParagon?  8)

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2013, 11:19:45 PM »
A program would have to be made.

A "map editor", of sorts.

That'd be up to Leandro or Codewalker, of course.

;D

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2013, 12:56:22 AM »
A program would have to be made.

A "map editor", of sorts.

That'd be up to Leandro or Codewalker, of course.

No point; the game client includes a map editor already. As soon as enough bits of the server are working, the built in map editor will work. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2013, 12:57:25 AM »
I am desperately looking forward to City of Maps. I have logged probably 3000-4000 hours in various Sim City games over the years...
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2013, 01:00:09 AM »
No point; the game client includes a map editor already. As soon as enough bits of the server are working, the built in map editor will work. No need to reinvent the wheel.

I suppose.

But would the regular, "average" player like TimtheEnchanter (no offense), be able to use it easily and make stuff?

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2013, 01:29:36 AM »
But would the regular, "average" player like TimtheEnchanter (no offense), be able to use it easily and make stuff?

As easily as any map editor we'd write ourselves. There is always going to be a learning curve to it.

Edit: I suppose that if you only wanted something really basic to build a city map like in Sim City, that wouldn't be very hard to do, but there wouldn't be a lot of variation in the maps either. It'd get boring.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:38:15 AM by Leandro »

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2013, 02:03:46 AM »
IDK, I can think of one or two ways it could be handy.
Reminder to self: Thesis to write. Do not code side projects until done.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2013, 02:07:11 AM »
Edit: I suppose that if you only wanted something really basic to build a city map like in Sim City, that wouldn't be very hard to do, but there wouldn't be a lot of variation in the maps either. It'd get boring.

I wouldn't call Sparky's map-building boring. I'd love to be able to do that without hacking away at the code. ;)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2013, 12:05:40 PM »
As easily as any map editor we'd write ourselves. There is always going to be a learning curve to it.

thinking more along the lines of the Building Architect in Sim City. I have had years of fun within that tiny little part Sim City. As sson as my current project is finished, I am going  in to see how things work for me.
Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2013, 03:12:47 PM »
thinking more along the lines of the Building Architect in Sim City. I have had years of fun within that tiny little part Sim City. As sson as my current project is finished, I am going  in to see how things work for me.

For something like that, you have to wait for the actual map editor. We don't have the tools to extract the geometry out of every object in the COH piggs and write a program to recombine the pieces of geometry; not to mention that'd be blatantly using COH assets without permission. With the map editor embedded in the client you can combine the existing geometry in any way you like.

Added the following to the third post, thanks to Hotaru again!

Industrial Warehouses (screenshot by Hotaru)

Factories (screenshot by Hotaru)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:29:16 PM by Leandro »

Mouse-Man

• Minion
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2013, 05:04:13 PM »
The more I think about the ramifications of these posts the more excited I get about the idea of a compatible server. Yes, it sucks that Paragon Studios is gone... but I seriously doubt the city has seen it's last updated issue. LOL.
Thanks to everyone for their endless tinkering.

XxBudweiser8xX

• Underling
  • XxBudweiser8xX
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2013, 05:41:33 AM »
I know its kind of dumb, but at this point, I would LOVE to be able to "log on" and just sit in say,  Atlas Park and chat.... I dont need the missions, or any of that.  just the ability to see our characters again...
I miss the game A LOT... but more important then that, I miss my friends.
If we had some sort of way to just get into a single zone just to hang out and socialize, it would be a dream come true.
PoN4LIFE

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2013, 05:54:18 AM »
I know its kind of dumb, but at this point, I would LOVE to be able to "log on" and just sit in say,  Atlas Park and chat.... I dont need the missions, or any of that.  just the ability to see our characters again...
I miss the game A LOT... but more important then that, I miss my friends.
If we had some sort of way to just get into a single zone just to hang out and socialize, it would be a dream come true.
That requires a chat system, which is something the server did. They're still working on the server stuff. The stuff that doesn't need a server connection are much easier to accomplish/hack together.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2013, 06:30:47 AM »
er ma gerd
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2013, 02:11:13 PM »
So like with all this fantastic coding and map bits and what not... do you think its possible that once this gets up and running that we could see the end of war walls in the city districts and have zoning work like it does in praetoria where you just zone when you cross the threshold? Cause I've always wanted war walls to go away :P

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2013, 03:17:30 PM »
If we had a way to export the CoH models into some kind of industry standard, we could see what CoH w/o warwalls would look like now.

themamboman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2013, 09:44:16 PM »
As soon as enough bits of the server are working...

Is there a thread somewhere that has ANY information about the work to make a compatible server?  I know TonyV said not long ago that they don't have a progress bar because they don't know what all is required, but something that says "Hey, we got this component to work today" would be nice.

Is any of this based on SEGS or a new implementation?  Anyone know who is working on it in case we can lend a hand?

Thanks!