Author Topic: Is it me, or are we in a "dark" age of gaming?  (Read 42874 times)

Samuel Tow

• Elite Boss
Re: Is it me, or are we in a "dark" age of gaming?
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2013, 01:24:20 PM »
So this is something that was going to happen? Or no?

... sadly, I want to play this game. The concept isn't entirely unfamiliar to me either. The kind of coding that would be required to make the game work probably won't be possible until we all have quantum computers on our desks. Maybe I'm way off-base, but it makes me think of "The Butterfly Effect", which probably reminded me of real life a lot more than most. The idea that every time you fix something you end up breaking something else in the process. A puzzle with no solution and you just have to sort of choose which flaw you want to leave in when you're finished.

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream happened. I didn't play it because either the copy I had was bugger or I didn't speak English at the time or I was just a dumb kid, but I couldn't make ANY progress on ANY of the main characters, so I moved on the greener pastures. Now that I know what it's about, I wouldn't bother tracking it down, myself. Not interested in that sort of thing.

However, the "you fix something, something else breaks" is basically the entirety of Ubi's Prince of Persia series, and yet THAT doesn't end up depressing and soul-crushing. In the broadest of terms, the original has the Prince use the sands of time to rewind time to before he even opened the hourglass, saving his father and Farah and everything ends well. Turns out that "whoever unleashes the sands of time must die," so now an unstoppable beast chases him, because he was supposed to die. The whole of Warrior Within is spent running from it, and then realising his very quest for salvation was the cause of his own damnation. Yet he succeeds and returns home, with the Empress of Time in tow, who has defied her own fate. Returning home, however, it turns out that preventing the creation of the Sands of Time prevented him from going to Azad and killing the evil Vizier, who is now sacking his home and who releases the Sands of Time again, by killing the Empress. Worse still, his father is dead in the fight, but finally the Prince decides to stop trying to fix his mistake and live with the consequences. So he saves his city, destroys the sands forever, wins Farah back and everything is... Well, happy, despite the casualties.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that this concept doesn't have to make for a "dark" story. It can make for a very positive, upbeat story. You can't fix all of your mistakes, but that doesn't mean you can't overcome the consequences of your failure and come out strong and tall despite this. Just because bad things happen to you, it doesn't mean you can't have a happy ending. Because you don't need a PERFECT ending for it to be happy.

I think sometimes writers give into this because they are depressed, sometimes they do it because they simply like to push the envelope, and still others do it because its easy. Back in the 1970s and early 80s a lot of talented comic-writers managed to write stories that were thought-provoking and accessible to a wide range of age-groups. Now its almost a lost art.

Sad but true. It seems like these days people write in buzz words and package concepts, expecting that just their theme will carry a story forward. And it can't. Ideas are cheap. I've seen "dark" so many times before that just advertising something as "dark" these days does nothing for me. It's like a 90s movie advertising itself as an "action" movie. So? We have a billion of 'em. Tango and Cash, Commando, Cobra, Die Hard and its sequels, etc. What makes YOUR movie different and why should I watch that instead of re-watching one of the classics which are - let's be honest - of much higher quality. What are you gonna' show me that I ain't seen before over and over again? How many Spec-Ops: The Line do we really need?

I agree with Tim: I deal with enough crap in my life, and see enough real-life-horror via the media. I don't always NEED that when I want to escape. Sometimes I want love and friendship and compassion to win out and prevail in a non-ambiguous happy ending that makes you squee despite yourself.

Agreed. Though, to be fair, I'm usually more a sucker for fist-pumping "awesome" endings that make me want to see more. Take, for instance, the ending to Tomb Raider: Legend. Lara finally realises the truth about her missing mother and is all fired up to find her. "Zip, find me this and that! Allister, get this and that scholar on the line! Tell them my father was right!" We don't see it, but we know that what follows is going to be awesome just by how excited and confident Lara is, and we know this because we've seen what she's capable of when she puts her mind to something all throughout the game. She took on the Triad in an evening dress, for goodness' sake!

There's nothing wrong with an ending which leaves me with a smile on my face, and I wish the game-makers of today would remember this.
Of all the things I've lost,
I think I miss my mind the most.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2013, 01:33:13 PM »
I won't vouch for this site, but evidently it's abandonware and you can find it.

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/i-have-no-mouth-and-i-must-scream-2sv
Two are also available on Gametz.com (http://gametz.com/Games/PC/I+Have+No+Mouth%2C+and+I+Must+Scream.html), although one of those is in French.  As an aside, gametz is a really good game trading site (I'm therainstormlord there), assuming you use common sense. ( ' :
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Samuel Tow

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 02:31:31 PM »
I'm a bit mixed up, but I'm mainly focusing on different things. It's not a Crapsack world. But the story can be spun into dark, depending on how you stress it, so it has dark "elements" (unless those don't exist): (I'm skipping most of the details you can take directly from the storyline, such as what is War, who set him up...)

But here's the thing - you can reinterpret anything into a "dark" story, whether it has elements which suggest it or not. You can re-interpret any dark story into a "happy" story, too. See: Cthulu Saves the World. You can no less reinterpret a story than you can write a brand new one, and tons upon tons of fanfiction exists that does exactly this. But what you're arguing is, essentially, Death of the Author. And yes, I'm still quoting from TVtropes. My apologies. But you're arguing for our interpretation of an author's work based on what we think it could represent over what the author himself meant to imply. Yes, it's sometimes difficult to tell, but that's not always as nebulous as it might seem. Especially because...

But, per my own definition of dark and your own elements I don't quote for brevity, I realized Darksiders' ending is not dark at all. Quite the contrary.

Exactly. It doesn't always come across through my explanation because I'm cutting down a 10 to 12-hour game down to a few sentences. However, playing it, there's no mistaking what the writers were focusing on, and it wasn't the horrors of the apocalypse. It was, basically: "ZOMG Angels with rifles! Oh, wow, demons are so cool! Check out War's giant sword! Woah, he just cut that bug guy in half! Aaawesooome!!!" Yahtzee describes it as "a 10-year-old's view of masculinity," and it is. But that's precisely why I can't take the game as being dark - it's not a soliloquy on the futility of life, it's a game which celebrates its own style and awesomeness with an almost child-like glee. Penny Arcade describe Darksiders 2 as "fucking bitchin'" and that applies just as well to the original. That, at least as far as I can tell after a dozen or so playthroughs, is the whole point. Angels fighting demons at the end times is COOL! :)

There are a lot of technically identical stories to MLP ;) but yeah, I acknowledge. But, "feelgood" should be improvement, which, however little, is going to end into perfect, whatever you say. What of "back to normal" ? Depends on the setting, which is either perfect, improveable, or needing improvement.

Not necessarily, and you seem to be basing your argument on the notion that "back to normal" is a bad thing, presuming the characters disliked their normal lives. Maybe that's just personal experience, but I like my life, and I'm perfectly happy with stories of characters who liked their lives before the "call to action" yanked them out of their normal existence. See Commando's John Matrix living a postcard-perfect life with his daughter until she's kidnapped and he's forced to fight the entire army of a small third-world country to get her back. He picks up a girlfriend along the way, saves his daughter, kills a lot of dudes and then what is his reward? Well, he tells off the Colonel, so presumably he goes back to living an idyllic life with his new girlfriend and his child daughter. And there's nothing wrong with that. For him, "normal" was good. He didn't want to change everything, he didn't set on a quest to save the world. All John Matrix wanted was to be left alone in peace. And at the end of Commando, he achieved that. Could more bad stuff happen to him in the future? Meh, sure. But that's for another movie, if it ever gets made. For NOW, we have a happy ending.

So you don't buy "they lived happily ever after", even if it's written black on white by the story writer ? You're saying that this epitome of happiness is folly ? What have you been read as a child ?

By your own admission, you can spin that to be a bad ending because someone died along the way and someone was hurt and innocence was lost. It's a happy ending, but it's not a PERFECT ending. A perfect ending would be Mass Effect 2 where I save everybody because quite literally nobody has to suffer this entire game if I play my cards right. I talked Garrus out of being a murderer, I talked Thane out of killing his own son, I saved Tali's ass (for later) during her tribunal, I stopped Jacob from doing something he'll regret, I saved Amanda's sister... God, I'm forgetting half of it now, all the good stuff that happened. Point is, that's quite literally the only story I can think of that had a perfect, happy ending, and even then only because it had every opportunity for that ending to go wrong, yet I played my cards right in every one of them. Thank you, online walkthroughs!

But aside from that, I've never seen a perfect ending ever. Any good ending has its own sombre parts, but that doesn't make it any less good.

That's what I said, didn't I?

Not how I read it. What I read you implying was that any story, no matter how it's written, is always dark unless you specifically skip the dark parts it will always have. In essence I read you implying that the only way a story can be "not dark" is if it's written for children and simplified.

What are those ? Dark but short games with no or short storylines ? Can you put the entire storyline (setting and story told by the game) in a single line ?

I was under the impression you were asking for games like the old ones with almost no story made today, not such that are specifically dark. And I can:

Portal: Malfunctioning AI has taken over a base and is forcing Chell to test.
Quantum Continuum: Q from Star Trek is lost from a failed experiment and a young boy needs to save him with his own gadgets.
McPixel: Haven't actually played it, so I don't know the plot.
Orcs Must Die 2: The villain of the previous game has lost her power and must now team up with the hero to survive and prevent an Orc invasion.
Serious Sam: Aliens are invading the past in ancient Egypt and Sam has to stop them.
Aquaria: An old boy was lost in the depths and gained the power to create an underwater world, including a creature who ended up something more.
Limbo: What plot?
Vessel: A man has developed machines that make robots out of liquid which take a life of their own, leading him to believe they're the next step of evolution.
Holdover: Nuclear war once destroyed the world and left a little girl forgotten in a stasis pod, who must now find rescue in the new world. And get naked a lot.
Gish: A living ball of tar has his girlfirend kidnapped and must descend into the underworld to save her.
Blade Kitten: The plot was so thin I don't actually remember.
Alien Swarm: The bugs from Starship Troopers have taken over a base and a team of four Marines must go there and deal with it.
Also Trine: Three unlikely heroes are bound to an artefact and must find a way to free themselves, defeating the evil which rules the kingdom now.

Those are my points. Simple games that have no storylines (most early games in history) are provably neither bad or good, you assume it's good, that's all. That's why I took Sonic as a counterpoint of your point that they did the most horrible thing by turning him in dark stories. In fact they did nothing contrary to what they did before because what they did before had no intent.

A game with an uncomplicated story is not the same as a game with no story. You should know better than this. The original Mass Effect had a very simple story, which is why it worked out so well. Also, I never said that turning Sonic the Hedgehod (rather, Shadow the Hedgehog) "dark" was a horrible thing. I didn't even comment on it, but my implication was it was a STUPID thing to do. It didn't make the game darker, it made it ridiculous in much the same way as Warrior Within.

If all you played while a child was Blackthorne, Dune II and Mortal Kombat and the likes, I don't see why you're complaining we are in a dark age of gaming nowadays.

That's not ALL I played. In fact, you quote three titles out of a much longer list and implied that's ALL I played. I don't know how you can say that with a straight face. And OK, let's say that's all I played for the sake of argument. Just HOW depressing were those games? Let's go by endings. I don't remember Dune II, it was something like 20 years ago, but I do remember the other two. In Blackthorne I defeat the demon and save the world. In Mortal Kombat I (well, Liu Kang) defeats Shang Tsung and saves the world. For all the blood and gore those games had, neither was anywhere as depressing anywhere as consistently as so many modern games today.

Maybe you need to put this into perspective too. Having such dark, grim and gritty stories told does make real life not this dark, grim and gritty. And allows you to enjoy it to its fullest.

No it doesn't. It makes me want to sleep and never wake up. It makes my head throb like I've been headbutting Pride of Fullmetal Alchemist fame. It makes me not want to watch TV, speak with people or DO anything for a good few hours, and the only way I can recover quickly is to rant about it to friends and family. Ending a story feeling like crap does not make life feel any better any more than smashing my finger with a hammer makes my headache feel any less painful. It just makes my head AND my finger hurt. A HAPPY story showing me that life doesn't have to be rotten makes me feel better about the world. It gives me hope, optimism and the kind of light, aerie feeling I need to take on life's everyday challenges with a smile on my face. You can actually trace my posting history on the City of Heroes forums based on what I was watching or playing at the time, and the times when I was by far the biggest jerkass bastard were exactly the times I had the misfortune to misjudge the tone of a game or movie and it ended up souring my mood for a week.

You can't say "we are in a "dark" age of gaming" without looking at all the consoles, which I did direct you to one specifically. If your idea was specifically for PC, you should have said so.

You're right, I should have. I have literally never owned a console in my life, so it's easy to forget there are more games out there than just for the PC, and I should have specified. I like to think I'm "up" on what's being sold for consoles, but clearly that's not the case, and for that I apologise. Yes, I'm speaking specifically for the PC. Hell, if I were including consoles, I'd have had to account for Uncharted, which I'm told is a pretty upbeat game.

That's both for adult and not for adult, those are not contradictory. I don't think you can see "drugs", "swearing" and "violence", which is all Saints Row is about, for children, and not for normal adults either. So yeah, it's Mature. Duke Nukem shoul be rated M for Manly ;)

Oh, of course, of course. It has nudity, it has drugs, it has violence, it has prostitution, it has giant purple floppy dildo bats, it's not for kids. But what I'm saying is that it's not "mature" in the sense of the word which implies wisdom, responsibility and dignity. I think we need to strike a line between "adult" entertainment and "mature" entertainment and stop trying to slap the "mature" rating on "adult" material because it makes us feel more grown-up. Other than the literal nature of the content, there's nothing "mature" about Saints Row The Third. Or Duke Nuken Forever, for that matter. They're some of the most immature games I've ever seen. Well, at least Saints Row is funny, unlike Duke Nukem, which is just crass.

All I'm saying is I object to seeing "mature" games as being somehow better when even the simplest, most child-friendly games can still be just as powerful. And that, to me, is part of the problem. The gaming industry seems to have gotten it in its head that "dark" is somehow "better" and that's why they keep making those games. Critics, in their infinite wisdom, are constantly praising those games so OF COURSE they're going to keep getting made. But to me, a lot of video game critics approach games with a mentality that's very alien to that of a player. Take, for instance, Extra Credits (google it, it's a smart web show) - they're game DEVELOPERS, so they interpret games as developers. They're also high-brow critics who are convinced that "games need to move beyond fun" and are endlessly amused by horrible retro games, boring art/walking games and literary drama games. I'm sure there's room for that in gaming - to each his own - but the rising popularity of this stuff has made it so prevalent it's next to impossible to find a major release that's not "gritty" these days. I'm basically down to old games and indie stuff, and the indie stuff is mostly 8-bit simulacra games or goofy self-referrential parodies. Or horribly depressing survival horror games.

I mean, seriously - look at Steam's Greenlight and tell me what you see.

Agreed, but we didn't have much choice in the matter before either, as it was much more goody. And consumers did "change" the Mass Effect ending. And like all games with multiple endings, you have to work a lot to have a "good ending", so it is rewarding to play.

Dark games have always existed, and they will always exist. What I take issue with is how they've been turned into a fad, to the point where they're poisoning existing franchises. Why the hell did Lara Croft need to be tortured, sexually assaulted, strung up on a cross, nearly drowned and literally dragged through the mud, all proudly displayed as the POINT of playing the game? Again, I've heard the arguments that they didn't want to sexualise her, but if they wanted to do that, why not simply make a regular adventure game which doesn't do that? Why go so far in the other direction that you circle right around and make it feel even more uncomfortable than before? At least before it was pretty...

I guess that's my whole point. Once upon a time, games strived for better graphics so they could look pretty. Now they strive for better graphics so they could be even more ugly. What the hell, guys?

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Samuel Tow

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2013, 10:56:30 PM »
It most definetly will...

You know, I generally don't go for Deadpool's brand of humour, but... That made me chuckle quite a bit :) So, mission accomplished. Bouncy!

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2013, 04:52:04 AM »
I don't mean to forgo what others have said, but here's my response to the OP:  I agree 100%.  Gaming used to be about challenge and skill, now its moving towards story, multiplayer and graphics.  There are a few strongholds in the challenge and skill department.  The Zelda (puzzles) and Mario (skill/platforming) franchises immediately come to mind.  I would also argue that the Pokemon series fits the mold, as long as you're willing to go deep enough into it.  But look at the reputation they've earned their publisher (Nintendo).  They're repeatedly viewed as children's games.  Yet Zelda has some of the most intricate and well-designed puzzles you'll seen anywhere, and I still find myself swearing at a particularly difficult level of any Mario game (Galaxy 2 is a good, recent example).  Oh, and don't even get me started on the incredibly deep, even overwhelming, combat system Pokemon has developed (Google it if you don't believe me).  Point is, they're far from children's games. 

But, appearances are everything.  If you don't have blood, killing and intrigue (somewhat optional) you must be playing a child's game.  Which is ironic, because very few parents (in my experience) stop their children from playing such games.  My parents were the only ones I knew who outright prohibited M-rated video games in the house.

I am not saying that they're bad games, but these "dark" trends are the ones coming to characterize the video game market.  While the outliers I mentioned will likely be around for awhile, they persist largely due to the audience they captured at the time of their inception.  What will kids and early teenagers today come to view as nostalgic in ten years?  I don't think it'll be Mario Bros. 3.       

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2013, 06:32:59 AM »
It most definetly will...

I was unaware of this game's potential existence.  Thank you for putting it on my radar.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Samuel Tow

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2013, 01:53:30 PM »
I couldn't figure out a good section to crop, so here's the quote in its entirety.

I don't mean to forgo what others have said, but here's my response to the OP:  I agree 100%.  Gaming used to be about challenge and skill, now its moving towards story, multiplayer and graphics.  There are a few strongholds in the challenge and skill department.  The Zelda (puzzles) and Mario (skill/platforming) franchises immediately come to mind.  I would also argue that the Pokemon series fits the mold, as long as you're willing to go deep enough into it.  But look at the reputation they've earned their publisher (Nintendo).  They're repeatedly viewed as children's games.  Yet Zelda has some of the most intricate and well-designed puzzles you'll seen anywhere, and I still find myself swearing at a particularly difficult level of any Mario game (Galaxy 2 is a good, recent example).  Oh, and don't even get me started on the incredibly deep, even overwhelming, combat system Pokemon has developed (Google it if you don't believe me).  Point is, they're far from children's games. 

But, appearances are everything.  If you don't have blood, killing and intrigue (somewhat optional) you must be playing a child's game.  Which is ironic, because very few parents (in my experience) stop their children from playing such games.  My parents were the only ones I knew who outright prohibited M-rated video games in the house.

I am not saying that they're bad games, but these "dark" trends are the ones coming to characterize the video game market.  While the outliers I mentioned will likely be around for awhile, they persist largely due to the audience they captured at the time of their inception.  What will kids and early teenagers today come to view as nostalgic in ten years?  I don't think it'll be Mario Bros. 3.

"What teenagers will view as nostalgic" is a good question, as it touches on what they're playing the most, which is... I don't actually know, but I suspect it's things like Halo and Call of Duty, or possibly God of War and the like. Counter-Strike, maybe - the game that refuses to die already. Probably not Mario Brothers 3, probably not Aquaria or Trine or some such. The heck of it is, though, that Call of Duty used to be good at some point, back when it was about simulating the horrors of WW2. These days, it's just about multiplayer deathmatches. I was a teenager once. I remember playing the hell out of Half-Life deathmatch with my friends, so I certainly understand the appeal.

I'm not sure I can agree with you on the nature of games being about skill, though. To me, that's treating games like a sport and - me being not very good at them - I try not to. Yeah, I played Rick Dangerous and Golden Axe and Metal Slug, I finished Captain Comic an all of the Commander Keen games, and those were pretty rough. However, that's because the games of that time physically lacked the ability to tell a story... And because I was 8 years old and didn't speak English. But the games of today can be so much more than just skill challenges and I now have the vocabulary needed to appreciate them. Easily one of my favourite games of all time, for instance, is Aquaria specifically for the economic story it tells and its beautiful atmosphere. I'm a huge fan of Soul Reaver, as well, even though the games got progressively worse to play as the series went on, just because Simon Templeton, Michael Bell and Tony Jay could make ANY story awesome. These days, I love Darksiders not for the Devil May Cry combat style, but because it tells a "fucking bitchin'" storyline with a very over-the-top macho tone.

But "challenging?" Maybe it's because of my experience with the concept in City of Heroes (where "challenging" simply meant it was a pain in the ass), but I've had my fill of games fighting me back just so I could play them. City of Heroes showed me that a game could be a ton of fun even when played on "easy mode" if the theme were decent and the story were engaging. I do very much play games for the story these days - them being less about platforming and puzzles really isn't my beef. I like that games are story-driven, I just feel the stories which drive them have been turning increasingly darker and edgier in a neat parallel to the Rob Leifeld era of comic books in the 90s. It feels like every game these days is aiming to be the equivalent of an Oscar bait Hollywood movie, basically boiling down to an innocent child losing said innosence to a cruel and dark world. It feels like games have been trying to be pretentious and speak to ME as a player more and more, and it's getting a bit crowded, not to mention the fourth wall is barely holding together at this point.

I'm getting sick of being preached to by the games I play. I'm getting sick of so much as casting a sideways glance at a game and reading the not-at-all-hidden agenda of the people who made it. I'm tired of "messages" hammered into my head at the expense of plot, settings, pacing or theme. And I'm tired of these types of games being virtually the ONLY ones that get any real critical recognition any more and most of what makes critics' top ten lists. I'm tired of every game trying to be Spec Ops: The Line.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2013, 02:26:04 PM »
One of the reasons why I play older games almost exclusively these days.  I want to leave my game happy and satisfied, not frustrated, upset, paranoid, depressed, or otherwise emotionally crushed.
You mean you actually want a happy ending?  I find them totally unrealistic.  Granted, some stuff now is a bridge too far... but not everything.

Samuel Tow

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2013, 04:37:58 PM »
You mean you actually want a happy ending?  I find them totally unrealistic.  Granted, some stuff now is a bridge too far... but not everything.

It's fiction. Isn't it being impossible, unrealistic and not real the whole point? My argument has always been that if I want realism, I have a real world right outside my window I could be looking at. I can turn on the news and I see real. I go to games expressly because they AREN'T real and are different from the real world which I happen to dislike.

So, yes, I want happy endings. I play games to make myself happier than I would have been had I not played them. For lack of a real "meaning of life," the point of mine is to be happy, thus intentionally doing something which results in me feeling worse off than I would have had I not done it and which brings no other benefit to me just doesn't work. I respect that some might enjoy this sort of thing for reasons I could never comprehend and acknowledge that it's a legitimate side of entertainment in general and gaming in particular, but not ALL games have to have sad endings, or gaming loses its entire point to me.

So yes, happy endings are unrealistic, which is exactly why I like them.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2013, 01:18:52 AM »
OK, maybe a stereotypical disney style happy ending is a bit much but I would like a few more ...satifying... endings.
I may have lost some companions along the way but I did manage to save the day/world/galaxy/universe... that kind of thing.

I have had enough of the 'oh well you tried but it was just fated to happen anyway' kind of stories that make me throw down the controls and ask why I bothered playing in the first place. It may just be me but without that sense of accomplishment, I might as well be playing Monopoly or tic Tac Toe.

As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2013, 01:38:40 AM »
And what, exactly, is wrong with a happy and/or emotionally satisfying ending?  J.R.R. Tolkien's "eucatastrophe" ("the sudden turn of events at the end of a story which ensure that the protagonist does not meet some terrible, impending, and very plausible doom") is not just a valid ending, it's the ending that we're hardwired to want.  Remember that this isn't deus ex machina, which is an unforeseen and implausible intrusion of a power that saves the day.  Eucatastrophe is a sudden, massive change that totally alters the landscape of what happened previously in the story, yet, unlike a deus ex machina, is completely consistent with the theme and story and will have been foreshadowed several times.

Our brains want this.  Our brains want this because it is literally good for us.  A happy ending in a story or a game gives us hope for a happy ending in reality.  As G. K. Chesterton said, "Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed."  We want to know our monsters can be killed. 

I'm not saying that every game or story has to have a happy ending.  But what I am saying is that the catastrophic ending is first, not what our brains want, second, not any more "intelligent," "superior," or "deep" than a happy ending, and third, very often is as much a cop-out of a lazy writer as a cliched happy ending where suddenly a magical unicorn flies in and makes everything better.  It speaks of "I can't think of a way out of all this, so frell it, I'm killing them all."
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Samuel Tow

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2013, 03:21:57 AM »
OK, maybe a stereotypical disney style happy ending is a bit much but I would like a few more ...satifying... endings.
I may have lost some companions along the way but I did manage to save the day/world/galaxy/universe... that kind of thing.

That's really what I mean when I say "happy" ending, really - an ending which is satisfying, thus making me happy. You'd think it's a fine point of semantics, but I've seen a fair few ending in recent times specifically designed to make me feel rotten, and I have no idea why that is. Is it some attempt to be "artistic" by trying damn hard to depress me? Like this is high art or something? And even if I get a happy ending, oftentimes the story itself is so depressing I can't finish it. Or even start it.

I mention Tomb Raider (the new one), and I can tell you one thing for a fact - that awful torture advertising ensured that I'll never buy this game, or even pirate it because I don't want to PLAY it. Even if it's not what it looks like from all the press, I'll never know because the press made damn sure to drill it into my head and that's what I expect now. And like going to the dentist, I simply don't want to do it, only unlike going to the dentist, I can choose not to and not be any worse off. But you wouldn't know it from some industry critics, who treat you not wanting to play a game which challenges your comfort zone and slaps you awake at the cold, uncaring world like some sign of immaturity suggesting that you should go play "casual" games, instead, said with teeth-gritting disdain.

Actually, putting this to words just now reminded me of how people used to tell me the same thing about playing games AT ALL, because games are for children. Could we have reached the point where games are still for children, but REAL games are now for adults?

I have had enough of the 'oh well you tried but it was just fated to happen anyway' kind of stories that make me throw down the controls and ask why I bothered playing in the first place. It may just be me but without that sense of accomplishment, I might as well be playing Monopoly or tic Tac Toe.

Interestingly enough, I did some reading on the concept of Fatalism as research for writing about the Titan Project (turns out it's not quite what I was after) and this kind of seems relevant here. Obviously, this is me being a first-year student thinking that every problem relates to exactly the thing I just learned about, but still, is there not a thematic connection? As far as I can piece together, Fatalism generally believes that what's fated to happen will happen and there's nothing we can do about it, with a side order of suspecting that what's fated to happen is bad, bad, bad all the way. I found this in a roundabout way, trying to capitalise on doom predictions in relation to an eldritch abomination that's actually real (in fiction, anyway), but this really does describe modern "grim and gritty" gaming quite well, does it not? So well, in fact, that I may well start calling such titles "fatalist games." It always helps to put a name on your problems.

In a sense, calling this a dork... Pardon, dark age of gaming is a tad unfair, as it brings about the dork age of comic books where everything had to be grim and gritty. I say this because this time tends to be remembered for its over-the-top grit, with characters like Pitt and Rob Leifeld's perpetually scowling jerkasses. Games seem to be trying to do this AND be taken seriously as literary works, which to me speaks much more so of fatalism. Games aren't trying to be edgy and to shock or startle us. "Grit" is too old hat to do this by now. Instead, they seem determined to depress us and convince us that no matter how hard we try, no matter how well we do, Shepard is still going to die and the godchild is still not going to make a lick 'o sense... Or something. They're trying to convince us that even if we can change something, the most we can hope for is a choice between a shit ending and a slightly less shit ending. Hence, fatalism. Or if it's not the ending, it's the theme or the story in-between.

And what, exactly, is wrong with a happy and/or emotionally satisfying ending?  J.R.R. Tolkien's "eucatastrophe" ("the sudden turn of events at the end of a story which ensure that the protagonist does not meet some terrible, impending, and very plausible doom") is not just a valid ending, it's the ending that we're hardwired to want.  Remember that this isn't deus ex machina, which is an unforeseen and implausible intrusion of a power that saves the day.  Eucatastrophe is a sudden, massive change that totally alters the landscape of what happened previously in the story, yet, unlike a deus ex machina, is completely consistent with the theme and story and will have been foreshadowed several times.

Our brains want this.  Our brains want this because it is literally good for us.  A happy ending in a story or a game gives us hope for a happy ending in reality.  As G. K. Chesterton said, "Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed."  We want to know our monsters can be killed. 

I'm not saying that every game or story has to have a happy ending.  But what I am saying is that the catastrophic ending is first, not what our brains want, second, not any more "intelligent," "superior," or "deep" than a happy ending, and third, very often is as much a cop-out of a lazy writer as a cliched happy ending where suddenly a magical unicorn flies in and makes everything better.  It speaks of "I can't think of a way out of all this, so frell it, I'm killing them all."

"Our brains want this." I like that. This is the kind of perspective I stem from, and I'm glad you managed to put it into words. I've often heard statements made on the subject which assert that a good ending is unrealistic or unbelievable, or that it's somehow childish or weak, perhaps that I don't deserve a good ending or even that that's just not good storytelling. Circumstances permitting, I could agree with any of the above, but this doesn't change a very basic fact - I WANT a happy ending. Whether it's deserved or not, whether it's erudite or not, it's what I want. It's why I read books, watch movies and play games. It's why I started writing stories in the first place - because I could make up adventures which, when told properly, made me feel good. Sometimes they were awesome, sometimes they were heartfelt, sometimes they were funny, and sometimes even scary, but at the end of the day, I walked away from writing them (and, subsequently, re-reading them) feeling good. Better than I had before.

Maybe my perspective is warped. I view every story I experience from the eyes of a writer, not those of a general audience member. And as a writer, I started writing as a coping mechanism. I put the things that hurt or upset me down on paper and I solved them in ways that real life couldn't provide. I solved them in ways I wanted to see them solved, but couldn't accomplish. And as I wrote these stories and as I read others like them, they ended up influencing my real life, my behaviour and my personality. When stories showed me characters who were good, kind and heroic, I wanted to be like them. When stories showed me jerkass bastards, I wanted to beat the shit out of them and swore to never do the same. Good stories gave me hope - in my heart, if not in my mind - that I can be a better person. If you think I'm a jerk right now (and I wouldn't blame you), consider that I've grown much calmer and much more pleasant as the years rolled on and I perfected this utopia of nice people through my stories.

I share all this so I can say the following: Happy endings to fictional stories made my life better and happier. Take that for what it's worth.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2013, 03:55:43 AM »
One of the most common put-downs of happy endings that I see is "that's so cliche."

Except that it isn't cliche when it is mythic and archetypal.  The difference between cliche and archetype, 99 times out of a hundred, is in the skill of the writer, not in the concept itself.

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2013, 05:25:02 AM »
One of the most common put-downs of happy endings that I see is "that's so cliche."

Except that it isn't cliche when it is mythic and archetypal.  The difference between cliche and archetype, 99 times out of a hundred, is in the skill of the writer, not in the concept itself.

And personally, I like a good cliche if it's well-presented anyway.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2013, 05:28:18 AM »
yeah.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2013, 06:56:29 AM »
I'm one of those people who play games to "succeed".  In most cases this means a positive of "happy" ending.

I don't want to hit the end of a game and find out I've been
  • Hallucinating on my way to death
  • Been responsible for the whole thng
  • Doomed to fail
  • displaced into "hell"
  • raped by an evil zombie girl

I mean, an occasional twist ending, great.  Breaks the monotony.  But the majority of games nowadays are all "bummer" endings.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2013, 10:39:01 AM »
The overall tone of the story may shape the ending but it doesn't dictate it. Moreover, an ending does not have to be a perfect Disney-style fantasy to be positive or optimistic.
Me, I like having the protagonists victorious - but not unharmed. You don't get to win at every turn, and neither do they. But they stood up to the challenge, survived it and still have a future ahead of them. And sometimes, a little bit of hope is all we need.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2013, 11:24:42 AM »
Yeeessss....

Samuel Tow

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2013, 01:07:03 PM »
I'm one of those people who play games to "succeed".  In most cases this means a positive of "happy" ending.

I don't want to hit the end of a game and find out I've been
  • Hallucinating on my way to death
  • Been responsible for the whole thing
  • Doomed to fail
  • displaced into "hell"
  • raped by an evil zombie girl

I mean, an occasional twist ending, great.  Breaks the monotony.  But the majority of games nowadays are all "bummer" endings.

God, I can almost name the games you're referring to right down the card :)

But yes, I agree with you. Yanking the "happy" from me right at the end is just bad storywriting, in my eyes, especially when your whole story has revolved around a hopeless struggle to succeed. "Our brains want [a happy ending]" is a good sentiment, but having slept on it, I think I can do one better. We want to see the underdog succeed. We want to see an unfair situation made fair even though in real life it couldn't be. It's why the Romans enjoyed putting heavily armoured gladiators against smaller, nearly naked opponents and cheered when the little guy won. It's why stories of the protagonist rising to the occasion and triumphing against all odds are so popular.

Here's my reasoning: When you put a weak character in a tough situation, the expectation is that this character will crumble and fail, or at best flail helplessly and fail anyway. This is what "should" happen were the story real life. This is what happens in real life all the time, in fact. People get lost in the woods and die, fall into canals and drown, lose their jobs and homes and die a miserable death as transients and so on. It's what we're wired to expect to see when bad things happen to good people. As someone mentioned before, if it happens all the time, it's not news. A good story is one which shows us something different, something other than what we'd have called just by a sideways glance at the setup. A good story takes us places real life wouldn't have.

So here's my problem: When I've spent an hour and a half watching a movie or 10 hours playing a game, watching the protagonist struggle against the odds, fighting and pushing on, and then see him lose anyway, I ask myself this: Why the fuck did I just watch this? What kind of pointless waste of my god damn time was that? Yes, I tend to use profanities a lot when talking to myself. The point is that the whole story was set up to have the protagonist fail. To see him fail is to make the entire movie/game/story worthless. Why? Consider something like FEAR. The Pointman spends so much time trying to stop Alma, and then she goes free anyway. If the Pointman had stayed in bed and not moved a muscle - and, by extension, if I'd never played the game - would anything have changed? No! Nothing would have changed, it would all have been the same and I just wasted my time playing what is, in all honesty, not even all that good of a game to begin with. Fail.

The overall tone of the story may shape the ending but it doesn't dictate it. Moreover, an ending does not have to be a perfect Disney-style fantasy to be positive or optimistic.

Quite true, and I want to use the worst, most despicable, horrible TV show it's ever been my rotten misfortune to watch as an example - Avatar: The Legend of Korra. How the same people who made the excellent Avatar: The Last Airbender could make this betrayal of anything decent is still beyond me, but let's look at why that's a good example.

The Legend of Korra tells the story of Korra - the new incarnation of the Avatar - as she learns to master all elements. The plot revolves around a Villain Sue who's always right, always succeeds, never so much as takes a single hit until right at the very end, is always ten steps ahead of the characters and is a dirty bastard besides. Korra, our heroine, fails to succeed at a SINGLE thing past a pointless fight with lowlife thugs right at the start. In nearly every episode since then, she is either kidnapped, knocke out or tied up, often all three and always humiliated and never taken seriously. The good guys always lose at everything they try, and whenever it looks like they scored a win, it was a trick by the bad guy. It's the worst, most depressing, most soul-crushing story I've ever experience in my life, and I say this with no exaggeration (I haven't read many old novels, keep in mind)... And it ends in a sunshine and puppies happy ending! Here's the breakdown:

The bad guy is "taking the bending" away from people, and by the end he's done this to nearly everyone, including Korra. Every time a person's powers are taken away, it's treated as a massive tragedy, basically amounting to taking their whole life away and leaving them a broken-down wreck. In the whole series, we think this can't happen to Korra because, well... Then there wouldn't be a series. At the end it does, and her response is - as with everyone else - to break down and cry in helplessness. Then she magically gets her bending back and gets the ability to give people their bending back and they all lived happily ever after!

Fuck. You. Movie!

This whole thing the show was busting my balls, dragging me face-first through the worst, most depressing story I've ever seen, giving me glimpses of hope only to yank them away just before they pay off, torturing me mentally all the way through and then BAM! Out-of-nowhere super happy ending! And worst of all, it's a happy ending with no closure. The bad guy was never beaten in any real way. He just got chased off and another character committed suicide to kill him. Korra never proved to deserve the title of the Avatar because she accomplished NOTHING! She failed at everything she tried and it's like the GM finally showed pity on her and had her powers magically return. This series did not deserve a happy ending because it handled itself so badly I have to wonder if the creators weren't contemplating suicide while listening to Papa Roach while writing it. Or maybe went through a divorce or a death in the family and suddenly everything seemed hopeless or something, and their publishers forced them to square-peg-in-a-round-hole a happy ending.

This is bullshit. Not only is this happy ending undeserved in any way, shape or form, but it serves to render the entirety of the drama preceding it pointless. The Legend of Korra was the first show in years to make me physically punch my desk hard enough to hurt my hand, so can you imagine how stupid I felt at the end when I realised none of the drama had even mattered? Drama or no drama, the spirit of the old Avatar showed up to Korra and just handed her her powers. She accomplished nothing, she learned nothing, she simply existed within the story long enough for a literal Deus Ex Machina to show up and resolve the plot. A terrible end to a terrible series, and I hope to the high heavens it never receives another season, because I'd be obligated to watch and review it...