Author Topic: So... Alerts...  (Read 8331 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: So... Alerts...
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 04:13:58 AM »
If they were longer, had any sort of individuality, didn't lag me badly at times and people spoke to each other maybe... :roll:

have you tried striking up a convo? I noticed the lack of convo myself but it seems no one bothered to try to strike up one. It's like throwing a party. Everyone want to enter when the party is under way but no one wants to start it off.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 04:41:27 AM »
No time for a conversation.  You have a short time to beat the mission - during which it's pretty much solid activity - and afterwards you don't have much more than a minute before it boots you out.  The few times I noticed that someone said something in Local I didn't have time to switch to Local and respond.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 05:21:25 AM »
No time for a conversation.  You have a short time to beat the mission - during which it's pretty much solid activity - and afterwards you don't have much more than a minute before it boots you out.  The few times I noticed that someone said something in Local I didn't have time to switch to Local and respond.
true that for the 2 minute beat downs as 2 minutes is not alot of time at all. but I dont recall the "stop the enemy from robbing bank" or the "save the mayor" ones having time limit thus, plenty of time to chat too?

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 06:19:47 AM »
true that for the 2 minute beat downs as 2 minutes is not alot of time at all. but I dont recall the "stop the enemy from robbing bank" or the "save the mayor" ones having time limit thus, plenty of time to chat too?

I haven't done any of those yet because if it doesn't say "XP" on it in big bold letters, it doesn't exist. ;)

Actually, because of the failure rate I've encountered in the simple smashes.  The brief descriptions of the other Alerts I've clicked on sounded like they had goals that were potentially more annoying and/or prone to failure.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 06:49:30 AM »
I haven't done any of those yet because if it doesn't say "XP" on it in big bold letters, it doesn't exist. ;)

Actually, because of the failure rate I've encountered in the simple smashes.  The brief descriptions of the other Alerts I've clicked on sounded like they had goals that were potentially more annoying and/or prone to failure.

Hm. The smashes are the harder ones. Well that Gravitar one is a challenge but the rest is dead simple, the ones that usually dont say Xp. But yeah many people dont bother unless it says XP, but they make ya work for that xp. The resource ones are usually easy and any rag tag can do it, even a bunch of low levels. I'm not even sure if the other alerts outside the xp ones can be failed even if the team keeps dying. Or rather, never found a way to fail those actually.

For anyone just starting off, I would implore them to start with the non-timed alerts to get the hang of things first before moving on to the quick smashes but the downside, not good xp like the smashes.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 07:00:28 AM »
Yeah, amusingly if you don't count custom alerts the 'simple' smashes are actually the only ones you can outright fail. Grabs and bursts have no failure condition at all, if you can kill the enemies even if it takes you a million years to do it you'll succeed - eventually.

crayehal

• Minion
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 05:24:09 AM »
have you tried striking up a convo?
Voicechat is available.  Folks might be using that.  I've tried forming teams before.  Prior to f2p, CO players aren't that chatty.

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 05:39:34 AM »
Someone did set off a "party bomb " in powerhouse. Closest thing to COH I 've seen so far. :)
I think the alerts are too frenetic to get anything going. Nothing like missions in COH. Even radio missions could be RP'ed and done at your own pace.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 06:18:35 AM »
Voicechat is available.  Folks might be using that.  I've tried forming teams before.  Prior to f2p, CO players aren't that chatty.

yeah I heard about many people using that voice chat.

But yeah CO seems to be more of an "on ya own" type game. Which is what really really appeals to me. I dont go too far beyond the COX channel and that is all the "socialization" I need in a game. Beyond that, I rather solo, not deal with a bunch of different versions of "fun", and go at my own pace and not have to worry about some overzealous team mate that is always in a rush, and speed runs is no longer a problem. When I feel chatty, I use the channel. Beyond that, I enjoy going at my own pace, my own version of fun, and taking my time defeating things instead of map touring and trying to super speed run around the enemy when really I should be smashing them.

I might occassionally do an alert, but usually have chat window closed and focused on getting the job done and going about my way.

These are the reasons I think CO fits me way better than COX. I loved COX but it was too "social" for my taste. Now only if they came with a PC game that was standalone that had the features of CO and or COX (especially the character creation portion), I wouldnt bother with MMOs. But as it stands, the social part is a mere side effect of enjoying the rest of what I like and of course I probably will seek to minimize it. Thus if another creative (meaning no interest in playing Spiderman, Hulk, Wolverine or even interacting with them) hero game comes about and it's even more solo centric than even CO, I'd jump ship in a heart beat.