Author Topic: Any other Pokemon Trainers out there? :)  (Read 16764 times)

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
Any other Pokemon Trainers out there? :)
« on: January 08, 2013, 05:57:06 PM »
Maybe this can be a little introduction and general discussion thread for all things pokemon [by lovers of CoX].

I'm David, my favorite types are Bug [haters gonna hate], Water, Flying and Plant.

Mostly i'm interested what others think about the new info regarding Gen 6 and the new 3DS game Pokemon x and Y.
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_X_and_Y_announced

:)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Any other Pokemon Trainers out there? :)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 07:48:39 PM »
I like Pokemon, but in my opinion the series is more stagnant than Madden.  It needs to stop being a stupid Pikachu and evolve into a better game before I'll be enticed into getting a 3DS.   Going 3D and adding a small bit of animation to battle ain't enough.  If it turns out to just be the same old crap in a shinier wrapper I'll be content checking out the new Pokemon they toss in on the internet.

And speaking of new Pokemon, assuming those were the starters they showed, I'd have to see their evolution before deciding between them.  This could be the first generation where I don't care for *any* of the starters.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 09:48:30 PM »
>_> whoa there

<_<

whoa

i already have a 3ds so for me that's less of an issue and more of a plus. i'm just excited that it's finally moving forward. babysteps. breeding, worldwide online systems, IV and EV training, battle towers, completely different maps and local pokemon each generation. that's not very stagnant to me. the version specificity has gone from just critters to items, characters, maps and dialogue. b2/w2 was a stepping stone also to engage slightly more mature audiences.

the consistency and predictability is a large part of it's retention factor, but i think it's grown as it's remade for each new game system.

but yes, pikachu is stupid.
ew.

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 09:49:17 PM »
although, making it into an MMO would be amazeballs.

Karasu

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 10:01:34 PM »

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:12:03 PM »
I never cared for breeding or IV/EV training - too tedious.  I just grab Pokemon that I like, give them moves I like, and play.  I've grown to hate the four move limitation, and I feel the combat should have gone more Tactics-esque ages ago as that's far more befitting the combat portrayed in the show/comics (and more interesting than the static combat, in any case).
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 12:46:26 AM »
yeah Karasu! that's exactly what i'm talking about XD

and Tenzhi, you're right, those things would be fantastic gameplay additions but the anime and manga came after the videogames' success. the four move limitation is probably kept to prevent overpowered-ness [which is present in the anime idk why], and while i reaaalllyyyy hate that some moves can miss and some moves cant be blocked by super obvious means, and it makes zero sense for a tiny bug to be able to stand against a mountainous goliath monster, those things also lend to the wide spectrum of players the game is accessible to.

also, i'm no game coder/programmer but adding new mechanics like that to battling might be something they dont want to spend time on. CoX didnt really have too many items you can blow up and interact with during battle. and to compare the videogames - limited by hardware, tech and time, to things in the anime which has very few limits beyond a rating is hard to do.

but yeah i want that too

please excuse my rambling, i'm sick and on meds ^_^

edit: i think you're right though, it's probably gonna be a lot of the same thing, just in 3d, maybe one new system [besides new place and critters] :)

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 02:39:12 AM »
I like the rock, paper, scissors aspect of gameplay, but the series needs to feel 'fresh' or new with each game in order to me to want to pick it up.

I'm somewhat looking at X&Y, it all depends on if I have an itch to play it (which takes a while), and if it turns out to be a decent RPG.

As for types: Water (FTW since Pokemon Blue... Yes I have played this series for a while.), Fighting, Rock/steel, and Flying.
- Omega Mk. V

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 04:55:06 AM »
I'm expecting this game to have some gimmick that utilizes the 3D.  Like you'll have to turn up the 3D in order to decode something or see a hidden entrance somewhere.

And if we're listing favourite types, mine are:

1. Dragon
2. Water/Ghost
3. Rock/Steel/Ground
4. Plant/Poison/Fighting
5. Flying/Psychic/Dark
6. Bug/Fire/Ice

Mind you, I tend to choose my Pokemon by aesthetics first and type second.  And since the first game I have a tendency to include a Snorlax with Hyperbeam in my team regardless of anything else.

And though I tend to like Dragons in general, I hate Dragonite.  Dratini and Dragonair are cool and then all of a sudden they completely change the look to this fat, orange, Barney-like monstrosity.

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 03:12:13 PM »
And though I tend to like Dragons in general, I hate Dragonite.  Dratini and Dragonair are cool and then all of a sudden they completely change the look to this fat, orange, Barney-like monstrosity.

I feel ya. I have the same feeling toward it.
- Omega Mk. V

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 03:52:49 PM »
Yeah, I never understood that one either. Almost every other species is recognisably similar or follows a distinct theme when they evolve, but Dragonite completely changes and even 'its a dragon' s a theme is iffy since the other two look more like snakes of some kind. Eastern vs western dragons maybe, but it's still kinda jarring.

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 07:53:27 AM »
Been playing White version a lot recently and just finished getting the last of the starters evolved from eggs. I'd also been working on trade-with-item evolutions last week and got my friend to let me commandeer his White2 to do it, since GTS is unwieldy with the countless impossible trades.

I'm mixed on XY. My initial reaction was a combination of "already!?", "no RSE remake?" and "this is way too much now", but I've grown to like the 5 monsters shown so far and I'm glad the series is making the leap to 3D.

A Wailord with Bounce is the funniest thing to imagine ever.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 08:31:23 AM »
I'm mixed on XY. My initial reaction was a combination of "already!?"

As I understand it, it will have been three+ years since the last Gen started, which is the typical amount of time between Gens.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 10:16:17 PM »
Hi!  I was actually coming here to make this very post after seeing a GameFaqs poster's CoH memorial signature (on the Black 2 board).  Pokemon has competed with City of Heroes over the years as top obsession.  I love Pokemon, I actually just completed the National Pokedex on my White 2.  I have been completely sucked into the competitive aspect, having over 60 EV trained Pokemon (some better than others, to be sure).

Since we appear to be talking about favorite types:

Favorites:
Dragon/Fighting/Water/Fire

Second-string
Electric/Steel/Psychic/Ghost

Mixed
Flying/Rock/Ground/Ice

Not-so-much
Normal/Grass/Bug/Dark/Poison

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 01:06:23 AM »
As I understand it, it will have been three+ years since the last Gen started, which is the typical amount of time between Gens.
Depending on release dates? Japan only got it at the end of 2010 and it was released in NA the following March. Two-ish years.

Either that or time just really flies!

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 02:29:35 AM »
It's not due out until mid-October, which will be over three years from the original release of Black & White.  Typically, that would mean it wouldn't be out internationally until around March/April of the following year, but for the first time they're doing a simultaneous worldwide release (and making a big deal out of it).

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 06:14:42 AM »
Kinda funny that they make a bigger deal of that than they do of it being fully 3d for the first time ever. Not that either one will change the game itself much, but traditionally companies love to point out their fancy new graphics to the exclusion of everything else. Of course, this is Nintendo so it might be different.

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 12:12:04 AM »

A Wailord with Bounce is the funniest thing to imagine ever.

a wailord with bounce? and where does skitty come in? ;P

and i'm sure they're gonna be some new gimmick system. but i'm just more interested in the bug pokemon :P I am the Ultimate Bug Champion. go ahead, ask me about my team.

of those most likely to play X&Y, anybody know which of the three starters they're gonna pick? I was first sold on Chespin [Grass] but the sort-of goofy Froakie [Water] has grown on me. so much that I've actually put together my ultimate Amphibian team consisting of all the other seven [six really, the last is debatable] traditionally amphibian based pokemans.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 12:21:47 AM »
I need to see their evolutions before I decide.  Right now I'm leaning towards Froakie and will definitely pick him if he ends up looking wizardly as his "spectacles" and proto-beard seem to hint at.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 02:52:15 AM »
Personally, I'll probably go with the fire one. Because fox. If it ends up being yet another fire/fighting though, I will be highly disappointed.