Author Topic: Dungeon Defenders  (Read 2409 times)

Adelante

• Boss
Dungeon Defenders
« on: January 10, 2013, 12:07:33 AM »
I recently got back into Dungeon Defenders after a bit of a hiatus in it.  For those unfamiliar with it, it's a Tower Defense/Action RPG hybrid.  Essentially you guard specific items (Eternia Crystals) from monsters that come in through specific doors and follow set paths.  It's up to you and your teammates to set different towers, traps, auras, etc in their way to stop them.  Then you can actually wade into the fray (or shoot from a distance if that's your thang) alongside your turrets and other contraptions.  On top of that, enemies and chests drop items for you to equip and use.  This can range from weapons to armor to vanity accessories.  As you gain experience and level you apply stat points to your stats & skills to make yourself more powerful.

Each character has a different set of skills & towers/traps/etc, though there are some variants that share the same towers/etc. 

The Squire's towers deal physical damage that is unresisted by enemies.  The towers generally have higher hitpoints than those of other characters and are thus sturdier.  The Squire also has two abilities to help him when he joins battle - a blood rage that makes him move faster and deal more damage, and a circular slice that is a small PBAoE for intense damage.  The variant of the Squire is the Countess, a female knight that is faster but has less HP.  She has the same towers as the Squire but her personal skills are "Joust", a rapid charge into enemies for high damage (and a high chance of flying off the edge of the map all too often) and a form of 'blood rage' that empowers nearby allies as well.

I could go down the list, but google yourself the wiki my fine friends :P

If you want to catch me playing it my SteamID is psychotideman, though I think my name shows up as Ade right now.  Just lemme know who you are and that you're from CoH/Titan so I'll know and not be all weirded out and stuff. ;)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Dungeon Defenders
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 03:27:27 AM »
I bought it (I think) during Steam's end-of-2011 holiday sales blitz, but didn't get around to installing and playing it until I was on vacation a few weeks ago.  Fun game so far.  It's not so easy that I just blow through every level on the first try without having to think about where I'm setting traps, and it's not so hard that I haven't been able to get past the levels I've had issues with in more than four tries.  Seems to be fairly well balanced and forgiving to new players who are sort of stumbling along trying to figure out what they really want to do with a character.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 04:51:51 AM »
One of the main things to think about is that you aren't limited to one character - in fact, the best strategies use more than one character to take advantage of the multiple types of defenses.   If the character that built a defense is active then the defense receives a 30% bonus to damage, I believe.  But if you were to want to play a Huntress for shooting stuff you might be better served to first build with a squire or apprentice and then switch back to the Huntress before the Build phase is over.

It's a ton of fun, especially when you're playing with friends. 

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 06:05:58 AM »
One of the main things to think about is that you aren't limited to one character - in fact, the best strategies use more than one character to take advantage of the multiple types of defenses.   If the character that built a defense is active then the defense receives a 30% bonus to damage, I believe.  But if you were to want to play a Huntress for shooting stuff you might be better served to first build with a squire or apprentice and then switch back to the Huntress before the Build phase is over.
I suspected that might be the case.  At the moment my Apprentice is about 18 levels ahead of my other three characters, so I might want to get my other characters caught up a bit.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tater Todd

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 09:40:01 PM »
I was going to get this game but I got Torchlight II instead...I will not be able to leave my house for months due to the awesomeness of Torchlight II and Dungeon Defenders.

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 11:14:35 PM »
Hope this isn't viewed as necromancy.  Anyway, my current gf and I have been playing DD a lot lately and thought it might be fun to see if anyone here wanted to hop in with us some time.  We started over (well, I started over, she started fresh) so we've got mostly low-to-mid levels.  Basically we're going to cruise on Hard until we get to level 30-ish with decent gear before moving on to doing everything on Insane difficulty.