Author Topic: Nemeses  (Read 18102 times)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
Re: Nemeses
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 11:49:07 PM »
Over in the "Champions Toons Revealed" thread, I posted my Shogun Warriors homage Robot Ronin.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7405.msg106832.html#msg106832

Naturally I figured that a piloted robot designed to take on Kaiju needed a Kaiju nemesis.

Angiras is a kind of "Mecha-Godzilla" type.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 11:55:05 PM »
"I remember those nights, planning technologies that didn't exist yet, outsider science, futurist dreaming, half-magical. The things I could do outside the university setting, now that I didn't have to wait for the pompous fools at the college! I was building another science, my science, wild science, robots and lasers and disembodied brains. A science that buzzed and glowed; it wanted to do things. It could get up and walk, fly, fight, sprout garish glowing creations in the remotest parts of the world, domes and towers and architectural fever dreams. And it was angry. It was mad science."

Professor Ivanov was never the same after he was exiled during Stalin's reign to the frozen wastes of Siberia. Forced to work endlessly in the labor camps, his genius mind, already teetering on the brink of mad science, snapped. He escaped the camp only to wander into the frozen wastes in the dead of a hard Russian winter. Something happened to him out there. Some say he found lost technology. Some say he merged with the spirit of the Russian Winter.

Only General Winter knows for sure.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 06:01:47 AM »
My Mind archetype character, Airhead, attained level 25 and so could create his nemesis. I figured, since Airhead has difficulty hooking up with the ladies, it would be ironical and funny for his nemesis to be a hot chick.

I gave her Telekinesis powers to set up a dueling mental powers theme. That's really all I had for her character concept, so, I simply named her Telekinesis.

I know, it's threadbare character creation (some might say "lazy"). Still, she gives Airhead a nemesis to fight, so mission accomplished.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:23:42 AM by Todogut »

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 04:53:09 AM »
For my Mountain archetype character, Geo-Strata, I wanted to create a nemesis that would be thematically fitting. I figured, a villain who could smash through or bust up rock would make for a threatening foe.

In the costume creator, at first I set out to make a massive construction worker; but, nothing I tried looked exciting. Then, I thought, how about a cybernetic monster, like Ripper? Alas, I found that most of the cybernetic costume pieces must be bought, and I didn't want to spend Zen on a costume set. So, I settled for the battle suit shown below, gave him Might powers and soldier minions with military weapons, and named him Crusher.

He can go toe-to-toe with Geo in a savage duke-out, so good enough. Maybe someday, I'll buy the cybernetic costume set and revise his look.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:19:25 PM by Todogut »

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 03:46:05 PM »
OK, that answers my question. You know? The one I never actually asked? :D

I am nearing level 25 on my first toon, and I was curious if the Nemesis was limited to the same character options as the principle character. It seems a little cheap to place that limitation on a character you don't actually get to play, but whatever. It helps in my planning. Thank you.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 04:09:42 PM »
I was curious if the Nemesis was limited to the same character options as the principle character.

No, the nemesis is not limited to the same character options as the hero. When you create your nemesis, you select a power set for the nemesis from a list of options (not all power sets that are available during hero creation are available for a nemesis).

For my Crusher nemesis, shown a few posts above, I selected the Might power set. My hero, Geo-Strata, has Earth powers. So, their powers are not the same.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:21:39 PM by Todogut »

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 01:47:33 PM »
Sorry. Didn't mean it that way. I must have been in a hurry when I posted. And, I've largely ignored the official wiki after the first few things I tried to look up there were horribly outdated, some to the point where they no longer even applied to the game as it is now. I will check out the article you linked to, though.

What I was saying was, as a Silver player, would my Nemesis choices be subject to the same limitations as my character choices. I apologize for not wording that better. You were commenting on limitations to your costume choices, and I think I misinterpretted that. Given your power sets for both your character and his Nemesis, you're not Silver, so it doesn't really answer my question the way I thought it would. On the plus side, I should only be one more good night of gaming away from level 25. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 04:33:37 PM »
I am a free, Silver account player. My hero, Geo-Strata, uses the Mountain archetype, which I bought with Zen.

Silver players have the same options for nemeses as Gold players, as far as I can tell.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 02:52:30 PM »
Nemesis creation is simpler than character creation.  You don't choose an archetype or select specific powers, you just pick from one of twenty frameworks, and the Nemesis is given powers from that framework.  (Earth and Heavy Weapon aren't available - I think they're newer frameworks, and the Nemesis creator was never updated to include them - and the four Sorcery frameworks are combined).  You can also pick a color with is used for all of the Nemesis' powers.

You then do the same for the Nemesis' henchmen, but they have an even more limited power selection and you can't edit their appearance at all.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »
My Radiant archetype heroine, Samantha-Quasar, created her nemesis, Nictus Ascendant. A pick-up group of heroes assisted her in battling the darkness-wielding villain and his alien minions on the docks of Vibora Bay.

Nictus Ascendant was a Warshade hero in City of Heroes. Somehow, when he traveled to Millennium City and put on the Socrates helmet, he became a villain. Maybe there was a remnant of a malicious computer virus in the helmet?

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:54:32 AM by Todogut »

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2013, 04:13:12 AM »
My Impulse archetype character, Gravi-Metrik, created his nemesis, named Black Hole. They both have Force powers, which makes for a lot of kinetic pew-pewing.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2013, 03:36:22 AM »
My Marksman hero, Golden Shaft, created his nemesis, named Ebon Arrow.

Visor-capped archer versus hooded archer.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2013, 05:08:23 AM »
My Squall heroine, Windstorm, created her nemesis, named Mastema. Why that name, you ask? Well, it came about this way:

1) I wanted to create a nemesis that would be thematically fitting for Windstorm. My first idea was to create a storm-wielder whose powers were inherent and natural, unlike Windstorm's, which are produced by the high-tech cybernetic battle suit she wears. However, the wind power set is not available for nemeses. I could have selected electricity or ice, but I really wanted wind. Stinging with disappointment, I scrapped my initial concept and opted for plan B, which was....

2) Create a nemesis who uses a power set that's different from the nemeses of my other characters. I hadn't played against a nemesis with the Celestial power set. So, I went with it.

3) Celestial suggests angelic, and a celestial nemesis could be a fallen angel. I Googled fallen angel, which turned up a list of names that are commonly used in fantasy games (such as Lilith) as well as several less common ones. Mastema was on the list. It sounded feminine, so, done deal.

Maybe for Windstorm's next nemesis I'll create a lightning elemental for her to battle against both physically and thematically.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2013, 02:25:07 PM »
My Devastator archetype character, Dragon Princess, created her nemesis, named Dragon Spirit. The plucky heroine courageously battled the supernatural beast and his lizard men minions inside the Millennium City Museum of Natural History.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 03:29:50 AM »
I forgot to give Dragon Spirit his dragon wings. Thankfully, the Nemesis system allows editing.

Eldershinjo

• Minion
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2013, 06:47:19 PM »
I forgot to give Dragon Spirit his dragon wings. Thankfully, the Nemesis system allows editing.

Maybe you could say he earned his wings!

Todogut, I have to tell you, I love coming here and seeing the stuff you post about your characters and their nemeseses (nemesi?)
Seriously. Helps brighten my day!
Always remember... The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing...

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2014, 08:17:20 AM »
My Master archetype hero, Infra-man, advanced to level 25 and created his nemesis. Here it is: Giant Beetle Monster, straight out of the source kung-fu movie.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:05:56 AM by Todogut »

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2014, 09:06:54 AM »
OMG!! These are all AWESOME! :D

Todogut, you're doing a bang-up job with all of these! Especially the last couple. My giant robot characters could use some new kaiju to go after. :D

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2014, 11:46:39 AM »
As much as I will always miss CoH, I really love how monstrous you can make characters look in CO.