Author Topic: A Different Kind Of ICON Fun!  (Read 25807 times)

Fennec

• Underling
A Different Kind Of ICON Fun!
« on: January 11, 2013, 11:25:29 AM »
Now that I am getting better at demoediting, I find the need to tweak some costumes to better fit the design in my brain.  So I decided to start editing the costume .textures themselves.

My first two are the Zombie shorts and the Unified Field Cape.  I always wanted to wear the tattered shorts, but have smooth, regular legs and not be all zombified.  As for the cape, I HATED (notice the all caps) the friggin' wrench in the design, so I got rid of it.  I think it will fit more concepts now.   (Regular version on the left, modified on the right.)

I am already working on more, but I would like feedback, suggestions and/or requests.  Maybe those of us doing this could swap files or tips.  Thanks!  :)

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
Re: A Different Kind Of ICON Fun!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 03:20:24 PM »
oh my god that looks fantastic! i've always wanted that zombie bottom!!! how can i get it? :)

so you're mostly replacing existing textures, not adding new texture options, and nothing with changing 3-d stuff, right? cuz that's a lot more work and might be beyond current abilities im guessing?

i've always wanted: the starshot cape without the star but retaining the stripe.

also, would it be possible to replace the data for a skin i know i'd never use for an available name like "Grey Test" [tight bottoms, male] with data from "barbarian" [bottoms with skin, female] that had been tweaked to look right on the male frame?

cuz i'd like that, and the same with "Grey Test" [tight tops, male] and "Monstrous Fur" [tight tops, male] - but tweaked to just look like decent chest hair XD

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 03:58:24 AM »
NICE.  Very much so.  Like the results!

Fennec

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 03:37:24 AM »
oh my god that looks fantastic!
NICE.  Very much so.  Like the results!
Thanks guys!

i've always wanted that zombie bottom!!! how can i get it? :)
There might be a way, stay tuned at the bottom of this post for a trial.  :)

so you're mostly replacing existing textures, not adding new texture options, and nothing with changing 3-d stuff, right? cuz that's a lot more work and might be beyond current abilities im guessing?

also, would it be possible to replace the data for a skin i know i'd never use for an available name like "Grey Test" [tight bottoms, male] with data from "barbarian" [bottoms with skin, female] that had been tweaked to look right on the male frame?

cuz i'd like that, and the same with "Grey Test" [tight tops, male] and "Monstrous Fur" [tight tops, male] - but tweaked to just look like decent chest hair XD
Yes, replacing and editing (and maybe a few new) textures, but not editing the models in any way.  Now as you may (or not) know, each costume piece is usually 3 separate files (the main look, the bump map and the mask).  Some also have reflection maps.  The Unified Field cape above uses 7 files to create the look.  With that in mind, I looked into your requests and here's what I found:

The GREY TEST chest and bottoms are one and the same.  And there is only the one file, no bump, no mask, no reflect.  So I'm not sure what I want to try with it yet.

The hairy chest idea is a good one and I will add it to my list of things to try.  :)

The Barbarian male bottoms have 3 files, but modding the female into a male texture will require 4.  I am working on it, but it will replace the female options and only be available in DemoEdits.  Sorry.  I have completed the male port of the Witchblade textures which behave the same way.

(Original female pattern on male body on left, altered version on the right)
I left pasties so the pattern could still be used with the female body, and also because I thought it was cute.  ;)

i've always wanted: the starshot cape without the star but retaining the stripe.

Like this?:

(Original on left, altered on right)

If this is what you had in mind, I'd like you to be a guinea pig for me and try this link to my SkyDrive.  I've never used it before, but maybe it will work.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A062E3DFDABF6CD0!122&authkey=!AC-3a36cL_eOlCE

:)

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 04:35:17 AM »
OMG YES! *squeal* now i want that metal-skin too.

Okay soooooo... I am just about the least technologically inclined person evar. I downloaded the texture library, but what am I supposed to do with it, or where do I extract it to?

also... *cringe* I cant figure out how to do a demo-edit. I was looking for a beginners guide with VERY CLEAR how-to directions but I couldn't find one [but I'll look harder]. I have another demo-edit file ready [i think?] but don't know where to put it or open it with...

I'm sorry that I'm just about the dumbest guinea pig.

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 04:45:30 AM »
OH HEY look at that.

i got my first demo edit to work.

now i just have to figure out what the heck i did. ^_^ baby steps! anyway, where should i put that texture library file? :D

Fennec

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 06:12:26 AM »
anyway, where should i put that texture library file? :D

First, leave the .TEXTURE file inside all those folders, the game needs that hierarchy.  Then open your COH folder and put the downloaded "texture_library" into the "data" folder.  If you don't have a "data" folder, you can make one.  Tada! ( :jazz hands: )  If you did it right, the starshot cape will have changed in the character creator.  :)

And the download from the SkyDrive worked?

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 12:30:58 PM »
worked like a charm ;D

good thing i already had a character wearing the cape. lol, buuuut yay attempt#2 worked! now to learn how to actually do the *editing* business!

ColTech

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 01:25:41 PM »
Very interesting stuff going on here - Congrats on this breakthrough!
from reading the posts, I'm a bit unclear on one thing, though.....
Does this technique only allow you to modify/replace costume options?
Meaning, are you simply creating a modified version of an item, but retaining the same name, etc.?
OR, dos this mean that you can actually add additional items into the interface, and expand the overall costume options?

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 02:15:46 PM »
i believe it's only modify/replace at the moment.

but once the ability to add is cracked [which i'm guessing also has to do with the interface], you'll start to see some awesome things happen, even if it's just new textures/skins. :)

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 04:25:41 AM »
while waiting for Fennec to reply, i'll post what i did [semi-relevant to topic]:

-just put the barbarian bottom skin onto the male character.

i tried to fiddle with other items too but nothing seemed to work. Sparky, i believe, got one of the female hair pieces to work on a male model, in this thread: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7247.0.html and i was pretty close to getting the belladonna hair to work... but it didnt. :/ it was half inside the male head and with no hair-cape.

(image just showing barbarian brief on male, un-edited, as well as my newb progress in demo-editing to instill confidence in my ability to halp test costume edit transfers ^_^)

Fennec

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 12:26:15 PM »
Very interesting stuff going on here - Congrats on this breakthrough!
from reading the posts, I'm a bit unclear on one thing, though.....
Does this technique only allow you to modify/replace costume options?
Meaning, are you simply creating a modified version of an item, but retaining the same name, etc.?
OR, dos this mean that you can actually add additional items into the interface, and expand the overall costume options?
Thanks!  As Davey said, its only modify/replace.  I don't know if we'll ever have the ability to add.  So this a nice workaround.  :)

i tried to fiddle with other items too but nothing seemed to work. Sparky, i believe, got one of the female hair pieces to work on a male model, in this thread: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7247.0.html and i was pretty close to getting the belladonna hair to work... but it didnt. :/ it was half inside the male head and with no hair-cape.[/img]

What you can do while DemoEditing will boggle your mind when you get the hang of it.   ;D

In this image, I am using...
a) the Bella hair cape with the Barbarian hair
b) the full mantle cape harness with no cape
c) female patterns on the chest and arms
d) Silver Mantis pants
e) the female Ascension boots
f) Helmet accessories on a regular head

And now more edits!  I'm calling this the Bare Skin edition. :)

(The male Barbarian pants / Bare Skin pants without underwear / refined foot)

The Barbarian piece was a bitch!  The way the texture folds over the geometry at the perineum area caused massive issues.  I had to re-edit the image over and over on a pixel by pixel basis to find the (almost) exact curvature.  There is an odd artifact one pixel wide on the back side, but its not a image issue and may be caused by something in the game-code.

I remade the Bare Skin option to exclude the underwear it originally had so I could have patterns over bare skin, an option the females got but the males didn't.  This one will probably have the most uses for me personally.  ;)

And I always hated the way the bare feet look.  I couldn't do much, but it looks a little more like a real foot now.

More to come!

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 03:08:35 PM »
nice! i'd be interested in that bare skin with patterns option :) i can has that?

and i got the fish[piranha] head detail to work on a regular head, but they kinda float a little bit which, im guessing, is from the shape of the piranha-head. same line for male and female maybe? lol
N_Male_Piranha_Hair.GEO/GEO_Hair_Piranha_01 !X_Head_Piranha_01 !Piranha_Head_01_Mask 00316131 00c0c063

to get the belladonna hair cape, did you just put [this] after the hair line? i cant seem to make it work :/
capes/V_Enemy/Signature/Belladona/Bella_Hair.fx

for bare feet, i always used the zombie option because it was shaped most like an actual foot [in my opinion, aside from the claw toe front lol] and i just overlooked the skin/texture. :/ maybe you can tinker with that for the bare feet?

Fennec

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 10:09:06 AM »
Back, finally!  :)

Okay davey, I checked out the zombie feet, but they look like chicken legs, so awful.  But I do have a little something for you...  HAIRY CHEST!

Monstrous Fur option (original on left)

I also (mostly) fixed the problem that the Steampunk and Imperial Dynasty faces had.  They were originally bump-mapped, which is what made them look so sunken and plastic.  I toned the bump-map down about 75%, but I had to leave some bumpiness as the images were created with it in mind and still looked a little funny with none at all.  (Again, originals on left)

Female Victorian Steampunk

Male Victorian Steampunk

Female Classic Steampunk

Male Classic Steampunk

Female Imperial Dynasty

Next post has the reason it took me so long to post again...  :)

Fennec

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 10:42:03 AM »
CAPES!

I had such fun with the Unified Field Facade and the Sharshot cape daveyfiacre requested, that I tackled all of them!  (Those with patterns, not the really new ones, well, not yet anyway  ;) )

(P.S. With all of these, the original is on the left, the name of the cape pattern is on top and the name of the actual .texture file is on the bottom in < > so you can pick and choose if you wish.)

First the 3 listed under the cape drop-down:

And now all the patterns! (listed under Long Cape or Short Cape):

It was a very fun exercise as I tried my hardest to have the new cape use inspiration from either the name or the style of the original cape.  I threw in some humorous ones (i.e. Jurassic Park and Diablo), some that were needed for certain concepts (like playing cards or music notes) and, of course, some for groups within the game (Midnighters, PPD, etc.).  I hope you like them.  :)

And now... how to get them...

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A062E3DFDABF6CD0!123&authkey=!AJD-NTWtLNykMzc

The file contains all the capes, the faces, the monstrous chest, the new feet, the metallic outfit, the barbarian bottoms, the nude bottoms and the zombie bottoms.  (PS, davey, the name of your cape changed to Fortune as it resembled that one the most and I wanted to do something cool with the name Sharshot.)

To anyone who decides to download the file, please send me a PM so I can gauge the level of interest in these creations.  Thanks!   8)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:53:15 PM by Fennec »

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 12:35:54 AM »
Wow!  Really nice designs.  And talk about "butt capes"! :o Several really draw the eye to them.  ;D
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 02:42:18 AM »
Damn, but I  always wanted the snake body!
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 03:31:33 PM »
oh gosh FANTASTIC FENNEC really fantastic work you've done!

before i download it, would there be a way for me to pick and choose which capes are swapped before i do it? or have you found a way to add yet? :/ im guessing not since my starshot became fortune XD. :EDIT: [ooooohhhh i can just delete the texture file by the name before i swap them in?]

omggg i want most of those capes, but a few i prefer the original :) do you think you could maybe [when you find time] try to make the newer cape with leaves on it into just one or a few giant leaves? the leaf patchwork was always meh, IMO. :)

FENNEC you're my herooooooo.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 03:41:19 PM by daveyfiacre »

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 05:21:29 PM »
Where does one find these textures?  I'd be tempted to make some small edits of my own...

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 05:34:21 PM »
Where does one find these textures?  I'd be tempted to make some small edits of my own...

Inside the pigg files for the game.

You will need a pigg viewer.

This is the one I use, uploaded by me (I didn't make it):

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D0133125_936_14176272

Extract the contents of this rar to any folder, then run the exe. It works fine on Windows XP, but seven and up is very "iffy"

No clue about macs. Then you'll have to extract the textures from the piggs, which you can do in this pigg viewer, by turning the files into .bmps
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive