Author Topic: What would you do if...?  (Read 9359 times)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Re: What would you do if...?
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 02:43:03 PM »
So out of curiosity, if that is how you feel, just why are you here?  I suggest you find something more productive to do than just sit there in a pool of negativity.  A forum for another game, perhaps.

To be clear, these forums aren't just for people who hope that City of Heroes is reactivated.  There are lots of reasons to be here, such as following news of the Plan Z projects, keep in touch with old friends, participate in efforts to get NCsoft to sell the IP to another company, check in on the status of reverse engineering, see if there are other things of interest going on, reminisce about the good ol' days, or just to bask in my wit and charm.  When I read Technerdoc's post, I don't see any "pool of negativity"; in fact, I'm inclined to agree with the assessment that NCsoft isn't going to turn the servers back on, and since they seem so hesitant to sell the IP, I don't see myself ever playing another NCsoft game.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 02:53:14 PM »
Because I really want to be wrong with that, but when I look into the past what happend to all the other games NC-Soft closed down, then I don't see much a chance here. Paragon Studios is no more most of the developers are in new jobs now and even when someone pick up the IP (Means that NC-Soft want to sell and they never do this with their other IPs they closed so far), they also need the developers for it. I really want to see a way and I'm corious what's going on in the future, but it's still a hard trip. Not impossible of course, but close to it...

...and: No, I have nothing else to do. All the other MMOs are just clones, always the same game just with other graphics. It's great that we have such people like Victoria/Mercedes, trying to save our beloved game, but I see much more a future into the Plan Z games. Maybe when NC-Soft really needs money and they have to sell something from their IPs to survive, then there is a way - maybe...

City of Heroes has became a classic and as such has incredible sentimental value. Gaming classics are rarely forgotten and eventually they all resurface in one form or another, though it usually takes years. Personally I have absolutely no doubt that City of Heroes will come back. It may take a long time to get there, though. And it may not be an actively developed game anymore. But it will be back.

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 05:16:50 PM »
This is not going to happen. We will never hear a single word again from NC-Soft and City of Heroes, this chapter is finnished for them and for me it's too. I don't want to play anyone from their games again in my life...

This. And I'll add that I'll be gobsmacked if NCSoft has anything left but the IP. As an experienced corporate drone of good standing for over a decade now, I can't think of any good reason why they wouldn't have wiped/re-purposed the drives and tossed the documentation when they cleaned out Paragon's offices.

To be clear, these forums aren't just for people who hope that City of Heroes is reactivated.  There are lots of reasons to be here, such as following news of the Plan Z projects, keep in touch with old friends, participate in efforts to get NCsoft to sell the IP to another company, check in on the status of reverse engineering, see if there are other things of interest going on, reminisce about the good ol' days, or just to bask in my wit and charm.  When I read Technerdoc's post, I don't see any "pool of negativity"; in fact, I'm inclined to agree with the assessment that NCsoft isn't going to turn the servers back on, and since they seem so hesitant to sell the IP, I don't see myself ever playing another NCsoft game.

And this. Any interest I had in Wildstar is dead, I still have GW2 but I doubt I'll ever spend a penny there. I'm here to chat on Champions Online, City of Steam, and ArcheAge, and maybe seeing if I can impart some amateur wisdom towards Missing Worlds' project on their forum.

Gaggle314

• Underling
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2013, 10:34:32 PM »
First, I'd wonder what drugs NCSoft was ingesting...then, check the calendar for April 1st..., then see if NCSoft was bought out, then see if the news was rumor or valid, and then wait a bit for news, reviews to settle out.  Finally, if it was the genuine article, I'd sign up.

But it ain't going to happen. I do sorely miss CoH/CoV and the community so I ghost through here to see what people are talking about and silently cheer those who have the know-how to talk to other companies or reverse engineer ...er stuff.

So, I wait...in the meantime, I've got ideas on razing the house because I've got all this time....

Cheers!

Surelle

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2013, 04:55:01 AM »
Two words:  Asheron's Call.  Never say never.

Well, that's a different kettle of fish altogether though.  Turbine self-publishes.  Asheron's Call 2 was their game.  They decided to bring it back.  There was no Psychotic Korean Overlord Who Owns the IP in the mix.

Sorry, not being negative, just honest.

Lots of other games have been rezzed, but none with the particular circumstances we've got.  Pirates of the Burning Sea just went indie, but they were with SOE, one of the more gracious of the NA publishers out there, who parted ways and let them sail off into the sunset peacefully. 

Hellgate:  London was rezzed after a miserably buggy launch, but when its devs, Flagship Studios, went bankrupt, it was actually the bank they still owed millions to who seized that IP (as well as Mythos, the dungeon crawler Flagship was making) and hired a whole dev team to finish and re-release it (and Mythos).

A.P.B. was rezzed, but it was bought out after its original team went bankrupt; I'd venture to guess its assets were sold off to try and settle some of its original debts.

This is the fate that will befall the never-released Copernicus before long as well, as Rhode Island tries to recover some of that 75 million in debt that's been forced onto its residents.

I guess the thing we *really* should be hoping for is that NCSoft goes bust.  That's about the best shot we have to ever get the CoH IP sold. :P
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 05:00:03 AM by Surelle »

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2013, 10:05:58 PM »
Again with the negativity, I think someone will find the cash to offer NCSoft the right number.

I think so far $3 million is too low and that the Paragon deal wasn't enough money up front. I imagine they offered a deal like Cryptic for 50% profit - at $5 million a year NCSoft likely decided they want the cash now or forget it.

That is just my suppostion no inside knowledge.

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2013, 10:36:39 PM »
Again with the negativity, I think someone will find the cash to offer NCSoft the right number.

Continuing to define realistic thoughts and conclusions as negativity isn't going to help.

Technerdoc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2013, 10:51:53 PM »
I think that the only one who can be intressted is Cryptic to get their game back, they also have the developers there, but to bad: They have their own game now, Champions Online. So I don't think they will be intressted, even when they got the chance in any form like NC-Soft is bankrupt or anything like this.

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2013, 11:39:55 PM »
They have to archive the code.  It's necessary for audits, for tax purposes, for accounting purposes, and for them to enforce their IP claims.

Failure to keep the code would mean that they would be powerless to stop someone from stealing their code.  Because in order to prove it was stolen, they have to be able to show where it was taken from.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2013, 12:18:55 AM »
To put it simply, I'd play it. I'd be cautious as others have stated, but I'd play. It's a bad analogy, but just because someone boarded up the doors and windows to my house for a few months and wouldn't let me in, doesn't mean I wouldn't reclaim my home when those restrictions were removed.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2013, 02:09:54 AM »
Here's a thought.

Instead of sitting on your thumbs and going "NONONONO NCSOFT WILL NEVER SELL," how about sitting down and trying to think of ways to incentivize them to sell?

That's what Team Wildcard has been doing, and we don't have particularly big brains. 

Stop seeing things as a roadblock and start trying to see them merely as something to get over, around, or through.  Fancy managed to use the old-fashioned way of getting hold of an NCSoft company directory and climbing the phone/email tree at NCSoft until he found someone who would talk to him.  There is no reason why other people couldn't do the same.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2013, 06:15:10 AM »
Again with the negativity

Sorry, I just imagined you as Oddball.

Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2013, 06:41:23 AM »
Continuing to define realistic thoughts and conclusions as negativity isn't going to help.

Continuing to deny (even remote) possibilities simply because you don't personally see them as probabilities is also not going to help. The "negativity" expressed in this thread that is being referred to (which is technically veering off topic since it does nothing answer the question[a response is not an answer]) is the statements saying, essentially, "Ain't gonna happen." My question is, how can someone state something with such solidity and certainty? How do you know? Yes, we can guess what may happen, but we can never be sure. Whenever someone says something like "It can't happen" or "It won't happen," as V.V. alluded to before, a majority of the time people are proven wrong.

Look, people: The point of the question was simply to get an idea of how people would feel if NCSoft opened the game back up themselves. NOT to argue about whether or not they would or will. I understand that the likelihood is nil, but that's not the point.
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2013, 07:14:55 AM »
So out of curiosity, if that is how you feel, just why are you here?  I suggest you find something more productive to do than just sit there in a pool of negativity.  A forum for another game, perhaps.
...When I read Technerdoc's post, I don't see any "pool of negativity"...

Maybe if you don't understand what the term negative means.  Just because something is generaly a good guess or even 100% true, that doesn't mean it can't be a negative statement. Saying that something can't, won't, or doesn't happen is technically a negative statement. Furthermore, in a thread that states plainly "This is probably not going to happen, but what would you do if...", when someone comes along and just says "Nope, impossible," which is in contrast with the wants and desires of large majority of the people here, then you have another negative aspect of the comment. Can you show any ways in which it was a positive statement?

Look, some people are here to reminisce. Some are here to try to help with TF:HM. Some are here to keep and eye on plan Z(s). But it seems that there are a few here are nothing but naysayers. Okay, we all know the reality of the chance that the game may not ever come back as what we knew it to be. But most of us here are hopeful and don't need the darkest side of the stark reality shoved in our face every single post. We are a handful of people protesting huge corporation that's thousands of miles away. We are not idiots, just idealists. I mean, we played as superheroes for eight damn years for f@$k's sake. We know the difference between reality and fantasy. But it won't stop us from reaching for what we want. No matter how far it gets from us. Nothing is impossible. Whether it be NCSoft reopening the servers, Hail Mary, Plan Z, or anything else... if we give up on any aspect of the fight, we have just lost that part of it for sure.

Is it gonna happen exactly how we all want? Not likely. Will it happen at all if we start giving up? With all certainty, never. If you want to give up, that's your prerogative. Just stop recruiting.
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2013, 08:50:29 AM »
or just to bask in my wit and charm. 

Better then Vitamin D.

Nightwatch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2013, 04:05:52 PM »
I've hated NCsoft for ending CoX but if they brought it back, I would definitely play it.

I would also pay through the nose to have my old toons back again.

Flamazing Sally

• Minion
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2013, 04:15:12 PM »
DITTO, Nightwatch.  I detest NCSoft.  But...I would play & PAY if they would let me have my City & toons back.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2013, 04:42:16 PM »
I would resume playing city of heroes immediately, even under the banner of NCsoft.

However, I would still feel that they don't have the interests of the player in mind, and I would no longer spend a dime even to access premium content, such as signature story arcs and the Incarnate system. It's too late to salvage that. I cannot invest in something with the knowledge that it could soon be taken away just as easily as before.
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."