Author Topic: "Massively" Interview with Brad Stokan and "Missing World Media" on CoH  (Read 8487 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: "Massively" Interview with Brad Stokan and "Missing World Media" on CoH
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 06:46:55 PM »
Atari "died" in the late 80s, early 90s.  Atair today is just a name passed around from corporation to corporation hoping to cash in on the nostalgia of those who grew up with the 2600 and cabinet games like Centipede, Missile Command and Tempest.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 09:45:34 PM »
Atari today is just a name passed around from corporation to corporation...

See also: Emerson, Magnavox, Memorex, Polaroid, RCA, Westinghouse

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 10:15:05 PM »
Ooh, Atari and the paradox of "My Grandfather's Axe."

Namely: "This axe is the one my grandfather used when he was young. Over the years, he used it hard, and had to replace the handle a few times. Dad used it, too, and eventually the head was just so worn that we had to get a new one forged. I had to replace the pins that hold the head to the handle last year; the original ones had given their all.

If I handed you a set of pins, an axe head, and a handle, all cut and shaped such that they could be used as replacement parts for my grandfather's axe, and you assembled a new one, you would not have my grandfather's axe. You would have a new axe. There remains not a single part of this axe that my grandfather ever used, himself, yet this remains my grandfather's axe."

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 12:07:05 AM »
Ooh, Atari and the paradox of "My Grandfather's Axe."

Namely: "This axe is the one my grandfather used when he was young. Over the years, he used it hard, and had to replace the handle a few times. Dad used it, too, and eventually the head was just so worn that we had to get a new one forged. I had to replace the pins that hold the head to the handle last year; the original ones had given their all.

If I handed you a set of pins, an axe head, and a handle, all cut and shaped such that they could be used as replacement parts for my grandfather's axe, and you assembled a new one, you would not have my grandfather's axe. You would have a new axe. There remains not a single part of this axe that my grandfather ever used, himself, yet this remains my grandfather's axe."
I love it!

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 03:01:29 AM »
Speaking of mission makers, STO has one and from what I've heard it's fantastic. They're even upgrading it some for Neverwinter, and I really hope ones that's out the upgraded version will be ported back to Champions.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 03:27:17 PM »
Cryptic and PWE are also under pressure from Paramount or CBS or whomever to keep churning out content for STO, or they lose the license (or something like that; it's in another thread, somewhere, but it wasn't me who found it). That's driving a lot of their manpower and creative decisions, as well.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."