Author Topic: Base move  (Read 2652 times)

AlphaFerret

• Boss
Base move
« on: January 14, 2013, 01:28:51 AM »
Is there a non-travel power that increases your base move?  It drives me crazy how slow my toon runs around. 

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
Re: Base move
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 01:46:47 AM »
At level 20, if you choose the Protector Tree for your second Specialization set, you can pick up Unrelenting, which prevents you from being Snared and increases base move speed by 10% at one point and 20% at two points.

Other than that, there's no base movement speed increases I can find outside of travel powers.

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 02:14:19 AM »
Thanks for the info:)

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 08:37:18 PM »
A lot of people who have travel powers leave them on constantly in combat.  Given that movement in combat can sometimes save your life (much more so than in CoH), this can be very advantageous.  Having Super Speed on a melee character basically lets them move from target to target exceptionally quickly without resorting to Lunge powers.  Flight on anyone with ranged powers as their primary offense can sometimes neuter certain enemies entirely, much as it did in CoH.

Unfortunately not all travel powers allow you to use them and fight at the same time.  Tunnelling, Swinging, Rolling, and Teleport are all examples of this.  Super Jumping isn't all that useful for combat, either, though both it and Swinging can be advantaged to provide a combat bonus so long as the buff is active, even if you're not actively using the power.

Speaking of, there are a couple travel powers that have advantages that provide combat bonuses.  Swinging/Chain Swinging/Energy Swinging have the Flippin' advantage, which increases dodging while swinging is active (even if you're not actively swinging!)  Tunnelling has the Earthen Embrace advantage, which provides stacking defense increases while tunnelling, and for a short while after you emerge.  Super Speed has the Impact advantage, which provides a damage boost depending on which "stage" of movement speed bonus you are in before you attack.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 07:01:28 AM »
If you used to always enjoy the combo of Superspeed/Superleap. I recommend taking Acrobatics/Athletics (same power, different "skins") and leveling it up. Either as a primary travel power, or as your secondary once you reach 35. It's less top speed and leaping distance than that old combo in COH, but it's more than "Ninja Run". Particularly at levels 2 and especially 3.

And agreed about the above in terms of which powers are useful to leave on in combat and why.

I like CO's version of Superleap for what it is. But I really wish a more COH version was an option.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 09:37:37 AM »
Yeah, the CO version goes up and down really fast but doesn't go forward as well as CoH's one did, or doesn't seem to anyway. I miss the CoH style floaty superjump.

And what's sad is they COULD do it. They could make a power that's basically acrobatics but with no run speed and a lot more jump height/speed, since the physics on that power are pretty much the same as CoH superjump. Then make it not change the run animation, give it superjump'a jumping animation and poof, CoH superjump get. It's entirely possible in their system, but not done because....? I dunno. Maybe they think it'd be too similar to the existing superjump or something.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 11:12:39 AM »
*shrug* Who knows?

The main reason I both like and dislike the CO superjump is because of both the vertical issue and the fact that when you land you're shattering pavement/ground every time. Now for some concepts that's GREAT. I like me some Hulk style superleap and kind of wish THAT had been an option in COH!

But at the same time, I agree, the floaty style also is awesome and works better for some concepts. I think it works better for MORE actually. Spider-Man style leaps for example. Or leaps where the concept is that gravity/mass has been altered. Or Kung fu "wushu" leaps.

The problem is that even with acrobatics/ahtletics, you'll STILL crunch pavement. I wish they'd leave that JUST for superleap and ONLY for superleap.

As for the distances covered - I find that superleap does in fact cover good distance horizontally. But you MUST allow it to reach full HEIGHT to do so. Unlike COH superleap, you can't just do "bunny hops" for speed. It doesn't work that way. Basically the jumping arc is equally high as it is long CO. Where in COH, the arc was a LOT shallower. Much more distance than height on each jump. In Champions you have to be going full height to get full speed. That's why it's almost useless indoors.

One trick I've learned also, though it only works outdoors, due to the above - you can get very nearly a COH level of speed across a zone and without feeling you constantly have to STOP after each jump. The trick is - you can't just keep your finger mashed down on the jump key like in COH. You need to watch your timing, wait for the apex of your leap, release the key just after the top and you begin to fall, then quickly mash down again. This will keep you in constant motion, just like in COH. It's a slight change in technique is all. But I've memorized it and I don't even think about it anymore.

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 05:41:43 PM »
Is there a non-travel power that increases your base move?  It drives me crazy how slow my toon runs around.

Using the second travel power at 35 for Athletics or Acrobatics is very handy. Good speed for when you don't want to run into walls but it doesn't whack you too hard on the energy use while its active. Most of the time, though, I usually just bounce my primary travel power on and off between mobs.

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 01:06:53 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys.  I did pick up Unrelenting at 30.  I am a tunneler for travel, so I am sorta stuck doing the legwork in a mish.  Level 35 is pretty close....since i tuffed it out this long, I'm gonna save that retcon I've been hoarding until 40.