Author Topic: Override draw distance?  (Read 4576 times)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
Override draw distance?
« on: January 14, 2013, 08:28:39 PM »
Is it possible there's a parameter that allows this to globally change the range at which certain objects render? In large scenes, it's kind of ridiculous that the "player" needs to be in such a close proximity to some things in order for them to show up.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Re: Override draw distance?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:31:21 PM »
You can drop down the console (backtick or tilde key) and type visscale 8.

The default visscale is 1.  visscale 2 is equivalent to setting "world detail" to 200% in your graphics options. 4 is 400% and so on. It basically increases the draw distance (as well as LOD model switch ranges) of everything using visscale as a multiplier. Of course cranking it way up will reduce your framerate considerably. Not an issue if you're rendering a video with a fixed -demofps, but might be for interactive playback.

You *might* be able to specify it on the command line as -visscale 8. I haven't tried it so I don't know if it works.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 10:02:29 PM »
That seems to work for the static map, but not for NPC models.

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 09:34:22 PM »
You can drop down the console (backtick or tilde key) and type visscale 8.

The default visscale is 1.  visscale 2 is equivalent to setting "world detail" to 200% in your graphics options. 4 is 400% and so on. It basically increases the draw distance (as well as LOD model switch ranges) of everything using visscale as a multiplier. Of course cranking it way up will reduce your framerate considerably. Not an issue if you're rendering a video with a fixed -demofps, but might be for interactive playback.

You *might* be able to specify it on the command line as -visscale 8. I haven't tried it so I don't know if it works.

Whoa. When did the game allow Visscale to go past 400%?

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 11:54:19 PM »
Whoa. When did the game allow Visscale to go past 400%?

Might be a developer hack/flag.

:P
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 12:31:16 AM »
Oh yeah, my bad, it won't let you set visscale higher than 4 (or less than 0.5, weird) unless you have an elevated accesslevel.  :-[

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 12:34:55 PM »
Heh, my bad too. I guess draw distance wasn't specific enough. This is something that the game does to determine if an NPC model should be visible relative to the location of the 'player' object. This happens completely independent of the camera's location and greatly limits what objects are shown. A few things though will appear almost any distance from the player, such as Rikti dropships. Changing the visscale doesn't influence this.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 03:23:06 PM »
Yes, whether an entity is drawn is based on the distance from the player. Various entity types can override that distance, which is why some show up farther away than others. There's actually two distances, a "start fading out" distance, and a "no longer seen" distance.

I don't see a simple slash command or anything to override that -- it appears to be a hardcoded behavior. Modding the client to override it looks doable, if you're comfortable making a few changes to the exe.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 09:01:34 PM »
I've got 2 different versions of the client exe in my CoH folder already with altered hex codes. Another one won't hurt anything.  8)