Author Topic: Couple questions about demoediting :) costumes and powers  (Read 2367 times)

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
Couple questions about demoediting :) costumes and powers
« on: January 15, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »
Hi! So I'm new to demoediting, and it's a lot easier than I thought. I'm just piddling around right now, trying to see what does what, but I had a couple questions that maybe y'all can give me a little direction with :)

1: how do i display a power execution? >_> can i do that? can i have an example of someone having done that? gonna experiment with holding a weapin next i think but i'd love to have them casting a power as the camera rotates around.

2: is there a way to easily convert a .costume file into text for me to put into my demoedit file?

right now i'm at this point [thanks to y'all on the forum and that DEMOlition builder thing]:

any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated! :D

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
Re: Couple questions about demoediting :) costumes and powers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 08:41:32 PM »
1: how do i display a power execution? >_> can i do that? can i have an example of someone having done that? gonna experiment with holding a weapin next i think but i'd love to have them casting a power as the camera rotates around.

2: is there a way to easily convert a .costume file into text for me to put into my demoedit file?

1. Using MOVs.
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Demo_Editing/List_of_MOVs#MOVs_confirmed_to_work_on_player_models
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Demo_Editing/List_of_MOVs#Valid_MOVs_for_the_player_skeleton

Open your demo file in wordpad/notepad, find your character name, then look for MOV.
Replace what's there with something from the list above, boom.

I'd advise you read a bunch of threads in this sub-forum, if you haven't already.
I haven't experimented with them, but practically every animation from the game can be used as a MOV.

Good thread about holding weapons/example stuff here http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7600.0.html

2. Yes, .costume files are plain-text files. Right click copy a .costume file and then right click paste it somewhere.
I assume you are on Windows.
You can then right click rename your copied costume file to .txt and open it in wordpad or notepad for editing.
You may have to make sure you have "show file extensions" on and activated if you don't see .exe, .txt, etc.

Unfortunately, if you want to put a costume from a costume file into a demo file, you will have to reconstruct the outfit by hand editing the section for your costume in the demo file, which use differently organized formats. I recommend just using DEMOlition.

:)
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 11:51:52 PM »
yay!

thanks so much Arachnion! *facepalm* i didnt read on DEMOlition where it said ".costume file" lol i just went straight to reading "sentinel extraction". XD

looking into the MOVs now. :D thanks!!!

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 11:54:44 PM »
No problem ;D
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive