Author Topic: another selling point to disney or google  (Read 3451 times)

microc

• Boss
another selling point to disney or google
« on: January 21, 2013, 02:44:59 AM »
new children super hero game..be the stateman and save the world...set of kids hero gloves connected to this new device.
http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/16/technology/innovation/leap-motion-controller/index.html
kids could pick up...toss...fly..run..with that new controller and a few sensor gloves and boots.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
Re: another selling point to disney or google
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 03:55:45 AM »
Umm... hate to bust your bubble, but there's no way CoH could use this kind of motion-sensor technology for game control.  Not without a total overhaul of the game.

Disney or Google or whoever obtains CoH would have to first purchase CoH and make a profit on it in its current state for quite some time before they could consider overhauling it to use motion-sensor controls.  As a result, this wouldn't be a useful selling point at all, I think.

Furthermore, one of CoH's biggest advantages is its somewhat slower pace and its ease of use by those with slow reflexes or disabilities.  Requiring fine motor control and injecting twitch gameplay like this would make CoH absolutely unplayable for a lot of the existing playerbase.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 04:32:52 AM »
Well, now, it's not impossible, I used to bullseye womp rats in my T16 back home, they're not much... oh, wait, wrong movie.
---

It's not impossible.  The thing is, *how much* control you want to do, and how to do it... and NOT involve CoH in any way.

Since CoH is a simple UI to use (meaning keyboard/mouse is easiest), then this Leap device could entirely be used without modifying CoH in anyway.  Just translate the motions into whatever keystrokes/mouse movements you want.

Couple it with a Kinect to use your entire body, plus a couple of potatoes, and man, you got a stew.

Remember, it's NOT about the software... it's about the interfacing devices telling the software what to do.

And as such... in this case... it's simply not *relevant* as a selling feature.  It's like saying "Hey, you can totally use a Razor mouse to run CoH, which is way better yeah, so that's a selling point!"

But hey, thinking of things to list is good, just keep tryin'!

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 07:22:22 PM »
Umm... hate to bust your bubble, but there's no way CoH could use this kind of motion-sensor technology for game control.  Not without a total overhaul of the game.

Disney or Google or whoever obtains CoH would have to first purchase CoH and make a profit on it in its current state for quite some time before they could consider overhauling it to use motion-sensor controls.  As a result, this wouldn't be a useful selling point at all, I think.

Furthermore, one of CoH's biggest advantages is its somewhat slower pace and its ease of use by those with slow reflexes or disabilities.  Requiring fine motor control and injecting twitch gameplay like this would make CoH absolutely unplayable for a lot of the existing playerbase.
This handicapped player couldn't deal with all of that! COH I could play with a "working" finger per hand. DCUO I can't play because it requires too many fingers.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 07:01:26 AM »
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingame/kinect-meets-world-warcraft-125812

That actually looks really interesting. Especially since it's just using something like the Kinect to essentially give the same commands as a keyboard would. Like swinging your arm in a certain way would be like pressing the P key or whatever. In this case, CoX could use it since it wouldn't know the difference between the commands from the motion sensor and a keyboard.
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 11:35:22 PM »
Unfortunately, after spending a little time with WoW, I think the mechanics of CoH were such that the Kinect might actually require something like this to operate. WoW has an auto-attack, like CO, SW:TOR, etc.  I'm not saying it isn't doable. I certainly wouldn't mind trying it. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."