Author Topic: Freeform help  (Read 5498 times)

AlphaFerret

• Boss
Freeform help
« on: January 24, 2013, 10:48:45 PM »
I have a freeform toon, but have yet to leave my initial power pool.  Are there any "must have" utility powers that I should be snapping up?  I am pretty much trying to recreate my original claws/sr Coh scrapper.  I currently run with a martial arts/lightning reflexes build.  Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks all.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
Re: Freeform help
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 11:14:59 PM »
Well, since you're running Lightning Reflexes for a passive, that tells me you're either in Hybrid or Tank role, most likely hybrid, since you said you're trying to emulate a 'scrapper' character.  However, Lightning Reflexes is actually closer to emulating a Claws/Super Reflexes build - Lightning Reflexes is for dodgemonkey builds.

What I suggest is exchanging Lightning Reflexes for Regeneration, and taking Resurgence.  Regeneration rapidly heals you over time, and the healing gets more intense as you take unblocked hits.  Resurgence is an Active Defense that provides a straight instant heal, and if you're running Regeneration, it increases the intensity of Regeneration as if you took several unblocked hits.  Since blocking attacks weakens your regneration, Regeneration rewards the kind of heedless, claw-first-and-think-later nuke-on-legs fightning style that a Claw scrapper espouses.

Keep in mind that if you branch outside your primary power framework, you have to wait a few more levels before taking powers outside your pool.  This means either picking up an Energy Builder/Starter power from the desired pool early, or waiting a few more levels to branch out.

For example: let's say you take nothing but powers from the Claws pools; the earliest you could branch out and take Regeneration from Bestial Supernatural would be level 8 (since you need 2 powers from any set, not including your Energy builder).

Now, if you take the Bestial Supernatural energy builder (Bestial Fury) instead of the Claws EB (Hawk's Talons), you can take Regeneration right at 6th level, straight out of the tutorial (you already have 1 power in the Bestial Supernatural set, which qualifies you for tier-1 powers from Bestial Supernatural).

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 04:51:34 AM »
However, Lightning Reflexes is actually closer to emulating a Claws/Super Reflexes build

Which is what he said he was trying to do...

I don't have a suggestion for anything outside the pool, but if you're doing melee with Lightning Reflexes I suggest getting the block ability Parry and taking the Elusive Monk advantage ASAP.  Lightning Reflexes can feel pretty darned squishy early on (kind of like Super Reflexes, actually), and in my experience Elusive Monk helps with that.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 05:31:53 AM by Tenzhi »
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 05:18:30 AM »
Consider Evasive Maneuvers as well. When ranked up, you gain 24% dodge chance each use.
Spess

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 07:39:03 AM »
If you're freeform and planning on using powers that do physical damage (crushing, slashing, piercing) then I can't recommend Quarry enough as your passive. It gives you dodge and avoidance directly rather than giving dodge rating or avoidance rating like way of the warrior and lightning reflexes do. Which means it's not affected as harshly by diminishing returns. And those diminishing returns get pretty harsh at high levels of dodge. To the point that Quarry + parry w/ Elusive Monk + dodge mods slotted into your gear is only slightly less than you end up with using lightning reflexes, with the added bonus of doing much more damage.

It should also be noted that claws on its own isn't a very good set, because it lacks the aoe you're going to want for clearing out packs of minions. Most of its single target attacks aren't much good either. In terms of straight up damage per second you're probably going to get the most out of just spamming Dragon's Claws constantly.

As freeform though, there's nothing stopping you from taking aoe powers from other sets. And since Quarry doesn't care about ranged or melee and buffs all physical damage equally, you could take something from force, archery or munitions for your aoe. If you want to stay in martial arts there's Shuriken Storm, which is a pretty decent pbaoe which if you take an advantage on it will give you extra dodge and avoidance while you maintain it. You could also take Eye of the Storm or Sword Cyclone from dual blades. Eye of the Storm particularly is a good power if you're taking hits, which as a scrapper type you likely will be, because it gives damage absorption while maintained AND it counts as melee for triggering Parry's Elusive Monk advantage for the extra dodge/avoid there. Does kinda violate the 'claws/SR' idea though.

Also, as a melee character I highly recommend taking a lunge power, probably Thunderbolt Lunge since you're martial arts, and taking the Nailed to the Ground advantage. Normally it's more of a pvp thing but on a melee build it's also useful for knocking flying mobs out of the sky so you can hit them.

Also if you're looking for a dodge build, Bountiful Chi Resurgence with the Resurgent Reiki advantage is an amazing self heal because it'll give an extra heal every time you dodge over its duration. And it's a 15 second cooldown, rather than the 90 seconds of Resurgence.

Consider Evasive Maneuvers as well. When ranked up, you gain 24% dodge chance each use.

Worth noting it also flings you backwards, out of melee range. But hey, sometimes that's a good thing. Devana Hawke and her 'oh you're melee? Well screw you then' gas arrows comes to mind. Being able to leap backwards out of stuff like that is pretty useful.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 10:15:22 AM »
Worth noting it also flings you backwards, out of melee range. But hey, sometimes that's a good thing. Devana Hawke and her 'oh you're melee? Well screw you then' gas arrows comes to mind. Being able to leap backwards out of stuff like that is pretty useful.
There is Lunge for getting back in, which has an advantage that will stun and snare the target after evasive maneuvers, or at least root it, if you want to go back in with force.

Edit: added precision
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:45:10 AM by Mister Bison »
Yeeessss....

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 12:57:36 PM »
My basic outline for a freeform character is:
- Energy builder (mandatory)
- Single-target heavy hitter
- AoE spawn clearer
- Passive
- Form
- Movement (towards enemy for melee, away from enemy for ranged)
- Heal
- Active Offense
- Active Defense
- Energy Unlock
- Block

For a MA/SR scrapper, I'd ditch Lightning Reflexes and go full Melee DPS role with Way of the Warrior. You should be early enough in the process that it won't be too expensive to retcon that out, and if it is just look up @UruzSix and I can lend you a few globals to help. :D Yeah, its a squishy passive, but load up on +dodge/avoid gear, grab the Armadillo (hoorb) secondary set from the Q-Store, stick it out, and you'll be rockin' 'n rollin' by the time you hit the 30s.

As for basic utilities: Intensity (+dmg, +str, +dex), Masterful Dodge (+dodge/+avoid, +dmg with Unfettered Strikes), Bountiful Chi Resurgence (heals every other tick or so, heals again on every dodge with Resurgent Reiki), Thunderbolt Lunge, and Parry with Elusive Monk. Pick out a form that works with your build (Form of the Tempest if you're DEX SS) and you're good to go.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 01:46:58 PM »
I don't recall seeing anything in the Q store that didn't have a ridiculously high price...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 01:57:06 PM »
Which is what he said he was trying to do...
Whoops.  Yeah, then nevermind me.  For whatever reason, I misread it as claws/regen.

Note to self: don't post on forums near midnight - reading comprehension ain't the best.

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 05:45:19 PM »
I don't recall seeing anything in the Q store that didn't have a ridiculously high price...

Armadillo, Samurai, and Cybersomething gear are all 11k a pop. I run enough dailies and nemesis alerts, so I can get all three secondaries usually by the low 30s. The 25% bonuses can usually be worth it, depending on the build.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 11:41:08 PM »
Okay:

What's your primary SuperStat?
What are your secondary SuperStats (in order)?
How are you using your Talents?
- Solely to boost your SuperStats?
- Solely to boost things besides your SuperStats?
- A mix of SuperStat and non-SuperStat boosting?
What are your Specializations?

Don't even worry about gear.  Gear layout is a black art all unto itself.  We can deal with that later.

Best thing to do is use the web build planner to show how you think you want it built.

http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Give us a basic layout for what you THINK you want and we can tear it apart and show you some options.

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 01:23:21 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys.  Not sure what all my stats are...at work atm...but i know super stats are strength, dex, and endurance.  I did pick up Jack of all trades, while the others support my super stats.  I know I took the Brawler tree, and whatever one has the move increase/immune to snare advantage.  I am saving a retcon for a big rebuild.

Again, any insight/info will be appreciated.