Author Topic: A point was made concerning COH and some other games at large.  (Read 2815 times)

blackjak

• Elite Boss
A point was made concerning COH and some other games at large.
« on: January 30, 2013, 03:00:39 AM »
I had heard of a game that I used to be heavy into (it was the first universe I ever really RP'd in even) being remade into an online game that was F2P. I thought "Holy @%$#! Maybe I have found something that will be as interesting to me as COH (well close at least)". So I brought up their page...

Ok. I am a Mac user. COH was the first real game I ever played on my Macs and it played awesomely. My comps are OSX for a reason: I work in audio and Macs are very good at audio and video work and tend to do what you want them to with no fuss or problems. I love my Mac and COH seemed to as well.
This newer game looked great. Lots of detail and they seem to be really making the effort to be true to the universe it is set in (which is FULL of backstory, lore and even has a loooooong list of novels and gaming history behind it). I was psyched.
Then I saw it wasn't available for Mac. Not totally surprised, really.
Ok. Check their forums and stuff to see if it will be anytime or if there is interest. If not I planned to post about it. First post I found concerning OSX basically said "buy a real computer dork".

It was like a slap in the face after all this time around a great game with a superb community.
There will never be a community like COH's. There may be another one like it some time, but the original was nothing but the best. I hope to inject a small piece of what I got from you guys into any game I play from now on.
It won't be in the game I was so excited to find out about though. And that is a shame.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Colette

• Elite Boss
Re: A point was made concerning COH and some other games at large.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 04:21:50 AM »
I'm likely to be investing in a cheap Mac to handle some audio work soon.

"First post I found concerning OSX basically said 'buy a real computer dork.'"

Obvious troll, dude. Don't take that kinda answer seriously.

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 05:22:59 AM »
1. Unfortunately there is no cheap Mac (compared, that is). They are rock solid and very pleasurable to work on, however.

2. The mosy helpful post was "put windows on your Mac" which of course costs money and defeats yhe purpose of buying a Mac. I've been away from Windows since XP. Haven't missed it much ('cept for those old games I  was posting about actually).
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

McCreed

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 05:38:53 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what new game was it?

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 07:22:52 AM »
Given the nature of Apple, it's hard for a lot of PC folk to not despise the company. Most feel about Apple vs. PC the same way they feel about classic cars vs. modern ones. Modern cars have better mileage, better handling (arguably), more safety features, more gadgets, etc. But the one thing they don't have, is the ability for you to fix them yourself - not without PhD's in astrophysics and a BSS in computer tech anyway. Compare that to the cars of yesteryear where you could even teach your most rebellious teen how to maintain and repair them. Freedom. That's what it's all about. You can even build your PC's from scratch. Upgrade them when you want. Replace parts. Keep things running for decades. No concerns about voiding warranties. No repair queues. Nada.

And that's just the desktop issues with Apple. Don't even get me started on all the other products that start with a lower-case "i" and the issues people have with it. I don't really care about the portable market because I can't afford it (all I carry with me is a non-smart phone with no internet plan), but gosh... the forced marketing. The forced marketing. I remember when the big selling point for iMac was "Ooh, look, you get a choice of colors!" That's nice. I've been giving my PC's custom colors, lights, even a frigging lumadisc (before I thought better of it because it produces a nasty short-range EM field) since before PC modding was even a fad.

That said, I wouldn't doubt if I end up using Mac one of these days, depending on what Microsoft does with Windows. I'm still living happily with XP after all this time though.

Just saying, there's a lot of animosity between PC and Mac users, and it's there for a reason. I'm just giving you this as a possible reason you got that reaction. There probably were some pretty ugly fights on the official CoH forums over it as well. It may not be a reflection on the overall gaming community. Don't base it on quarrels over which computers are better. It's when they start discussions about different builds, character classes, PvP, balance, etc. Are they ugly or civil? And most importantly, what do they say when someone asks "How do I?" about an issue everybody knows the answer to? Does the poor guy get hazed like a frat pledgie, or do they give him helpful advice?

Surelle

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 11:59:01 AM »
What game was it?  I'm curious.

Unfortunately, although Apple is gaining a tiny bit of traction amongst computer users, still probably only 5% of the population uses them.  So game developers cannot even remotely hope to get back anywhere near the money they'd need to invest to port games to it; hence, Mac is definitely not a gaming platform.

Running windows on a Mac does not defeat the purpose of owning a Mac.  You set it up to dual boot (pick which one you want to use for what), and that merely opens up the Mac's potential to go past video and sound editing and content creation into gaming, both online and offline, too.  That is, if you have the video card, RAM and CPU  to support those as well.   ;)

What makes me laugh is when Mac users brag about how impervious they are to viruses, trojans and other malicious web threats.   The only thing really saving that platform from the total invasion the PC has gotten is that practically no one uses it, and hackers want their work to spread, and fast, so they don't bother putting the effort into Macs either.  If Mac suddenly became the de facto computer platform for the mainstream populace, that would change in an awful hurry.

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 12:19:41 PM »
I am well aware of the ins and outs of Mac vs. PC 'warfare'. The thing was the immediate nastiness of the responses before any sort of help was attempted. If you remember, COH even had a Mac section in the forums for help (which made sense since they were ported) but also the community fully supported Mac users here when they didn't have to. I happily ran Sentinel and Icon and have no fear for any future programs. That is the difference to me (or at least a definite example) .
I don't want to say the name of the game here. I'm not bashing. It looks great and I do wish them all the luck. I just wish I  could join the fun with what I  have.

golemjoe

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 12:50:22 AM »
What game was it?  I'm curious.

Unfortunately, although Apple is gaining a tiny bit of traction amongst computer users, still probably only 5% of the population uses them.  So game developers cannot even remotely hope to get back anywhere near the money they'd need to invest to port games to it; hence, Mac is definitely not a gaming platform.

Running windows on a Mac does not defeat the purpose of owning a Mac.  You set it up to dual boot (pick which one you want to use for what), and that merely opens up the Mac's potential to go past video and sound editing and content creation into gaming, both online and offline, too.  That is, if you have the video card, RAM and CPU  to support those as well.   ;)

What makes me laugh is when Mac users brag about how impervious they are to viruses, trojans and other malicious web threats.   The only thing really saving that platform from the total invasion the PC has gotten is that practically no one uses it, and hackers want their work to spread, and fast, so they don't bother putting the effort into Macs either.  If Mac suddenly became the de facto computer platform for the mainstream populace, that would change in an awful hurry.

I'm not convinced about that.  I haven't run a mac for years (since the only mac clones were around) but the main reason that I would consider Macs a little better off than PCs all other things equal is that the current Mac OS is built around a unix kernel.  Historically unix has had to deal with mulituser systems and the concept of priviledged access on a much larger scale than Windows.  So while nothing is impervious to attack, the new Mac OS versions probably start off with a leg up on Windows from that standpoint.