Author Topic: Can we be annoying for 2 mintes a day?  (Read 14304 times)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
Can we be annoying for 2 mintes a day?
« on: February 17, 2013, 04:14:01 AM »
I was thiinking of a massive fan base spamming, like on twitter or something once a day we all spam to #NCSoft and #NCSoftgames "Sell=CoH"

or something like that.

why would NCSoft care when they can just have lackies block us all? or just ignore us in the first place.

why?

cause the people they are advertising to will see our posts every day instead of NCSoft's remarks.

NCSoft might say "get back into action with Aion or Guildwars II today" and it gets pushed down followers pages with tons of "CoH=Sell"
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Can we be annoying for 2 mintes a day?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 04:24:36 AM »
Could work. Kind of extreme.

It's like PETA. They have a good cause they support but their methods are out of whack so regardless of their noble cause people remember them as nutjobs and the message of their cause is lost.

Plus that type of action just kind of reeks of desperation and disorganization.

Or rather like if a group came here spamming "get over it. it's just business." It wouldnt matter what they was saying it would just create animosity due to their spamming actions. I wouldnt like those types to do it to us thus I wouldnt do it to someone else.

also remember we are trying to convince businesses to listen to us and convince them they have a good potential buy and a good set of customers. We dont want to come off as potentially bad PR that will spam their websites if they make decisions that we dont like.

And it will just be another justification to NCSoft for rightfully ignoring us if we spam them. If we are trying to prove that NCSoft made a decision in a cold manner than we should try not to add justification for the silent treatment.

Also it shows they still hold sway over our emotions. They moved on but we havent. And even though we havent, we dont have to go to extremes to show we need and or needed them. We wont make them regret anything with spamming. It probably will help them sleep better by saying thank goodness we let those loonies go. They are showing their true colors now. Things on twitter get aroudn fast and last thing we need is our cause to crash now because we became known as a whiny bunch that cant handle the closing the game in a mature manner. No one would want to do business with us and it might even affect the future of the projects that are in the making.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:35:06 AM by JaguarX »

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 05:40:21 AM »
Um. PETA does not have a good cause. They pretend to have a good cause to get money from people. They are all about euthanizing domestic animals. Of over 1,400 animals their shelters took in last year, 19 were adopted out, the rest were killed. I realize this was beside the point, so I will shut up now. Just as someone who works with animals for a living, PETA really pisses me off and it's hard for me not to say something. Done now, tho.

On topic. Being annoying for any period of time a day is a bad idea, IMO.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 06:20:19 AM »
Um. PETA does not have a good cause. They pretend to have a good cause to get money from people. They are all about euthanizing domestic animals. Of over 1,400 animals their shelters took in last year, 19 were adopted out, the rest were killed. I realize this was beside the point, so I will shut up now. Just as someone who works with animals for a living, PETA really pisses me off and it's hard for me not to say something. Done now, tho.

On topic. Being annoying for any period of time a day is a bad idea, IMO.

yeah I heard about that. And I understand. I should of said the original meaning of the cause. Now their cause is just twisted. We dont want to end up like PETA.

Quinch

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 07:19:13 AM »
I kinda agree with Lily - as tempting as it is, it's vital that we keep the moral high ground at all times.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 08:17:49 AM »
I agree with the general consensus its better to play it cool and professional if we are going to get someone interested in buying CoH.  After all whoever buys CoH gets us with it.

Off topic: @Lily.  I was about to post the same comment actually, I would put PETA in the douchebag column.  Not only do they have a 84.7% kill rate (29,398 animals since 1988) as you mentioned.  But they also say things like "House dogs/cats are bad and cruel to animals."  Which shows they not only know nothing of pet owner/lovers but of how the pet bonds with an owner.  My dog spends all day with me she is part of my family, to be told she would be better off without me is as stupid as it is assholeish.  Sorry to go off on a tangent but PETA makes me sick to my stomach.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 03:18:11 PM »
I agree with the general consensus its better to play it cool and professional if we are going to get someone interested in buying CoH.  After all whoever buys CoH gets us with it.
Minty or not, i agree that trying to be annoying wouldn't advance our cause in this case. Any prospective buyers would most likely view it as an example of what the fanbase they would be taking on is like.

Off topic: @Lily.  I was about to post the same comment actually, I would put PETA in the douchebag column.  Not only do they have a 84.7% kill rate (29,398 animals since 1988) as you mentioned.  But they also say things like "House dogs/cats are bad and cruel to animals."  Which shows they not only know nothing of pet owner/lovers but of how the pet bonds with an owner.  My dog spends all day with me she is part of my family, to be told she would be better off without me is as stupid as it is assholeish.  Sorry to go off on a tangent but PETA makes me sick to my stomach.
Well PETA feels domestic animals are unnatural and wrong, so their long term goal is to exterminate all the species that have evolved to coexist with humans. Which is incredibly shortsighted, ignorant, and is based on the magical thinking that humans are somehow something that exists completely outside the rest of the biosphere. (Current evidence suggests that dogs evolved into a mutualistic relationship with humans on their own and from a genetic standpoint it doesn't matter to an organism whether the selective pressures are the result of intent or not.) So domestic animals are corrupted by this magical plague called called humanity and must be expunged from existence.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 05:31:16 PM »
I was thiinking of a massive fan base spamming, like on twitter or something once a day we all spam to #NCSoft and #NCSoftgames "Sell=CoH" or something like that.

why would NCSoft care when they can just have lackies block us all? or just ignore us in the first place.

why?

cause the people they are advertising to will see our posts every day instead of NCSoft's remarks.

NCSoft might say "get back into action with Aion or Guildwars II today" and it gets pushed down followers pages with tons of "CoH=Sell"
I like it.  Probably once a week or something, or just everyone do it whenever they feel like, with short bursts of "everyone do it at 8pm your local time next Thursday!" and not every single day all at once.  That'd be a little silly, and people would get bored of doing it to boot.

Still, though, it's a good idea, I think.  It's short, sweet, not all that obtrusive, and gets the point across without being complete jerks... wait, what?

Could work. Kind of extreme.

It's like PETA. They have a good cause they support but their methods are out of whack so regardless of their noble cause people remember them as nutjobs and the message of their cause is lost.

Plus that type of action just kind of reeks of desperation and disorganization.

Or rather like if a group came here spamming "get over it. it's just business." It wouldnt matter what they was saying it would just create animosity due to their spamming actions. I wouldnt like those types to do it to us thus I wouldnt do it to someone else.

also remember we are trying to convince businesses to listen to us and convince them they have a good potential buy and a good set of customers. We dont want to come off as potentially bad PR that will spam their websites if they make decisions that we dont like.

And it will just be another justification to NCSoft for rightfully ignoring us if we spam them. If we are trying to prove that NCSoft made a decision in a cold manner than we should try not to add justification for the silent treatment.

Also it shows they still hold sway over our emotions. They moved on but we havent. And even though we havent, we dont have to go to extremes to show we need and or needed them. We wont make them regret anything with spamming. It probably will help them sleep better by saying thank goodness we let those loonies go. They are showing their true colors now. Things on twitter get aroudn fast and last thing we need is our cause to crash now because we became known as a whiny bunch that cant handle the closing the game in a mature manner. No one would want to do business with us and it might even affect the future of the projects that are in the making.
I kinda agree with Lily - as tempting as it is, it's vital that we keep the moral high ground at all times.
Minty or not, i agree that trying to be annoying wouldn't advance our cause in this case. Any prospective buyers would most likely view it as an example of what the fanbase they would be taking on is like.

You are all kidding, right? Please tell me you're all kidding me.  Please.  I'm begging here.

Because comparing a simple tweet, one that would be a focused effort to point something out that needs correcting, to the lunacy of PeTA or other extremist organization that does way way worse, and does it in the real world, and online...

Yeah.  Not so much.

What the buyers would see is "Whoa.  They still care.  They still want it.  They still care.  Perhaps we can make it work where NCSoft didn't.  Let's go see how we can get that done."

What the advertisers would see is "Whoa.  That has a following.  We *might* can use that..."

What NCSoft will see is "Oh, geez, these people.  Again.  They're like hound dogs... fine, sell it, get it out of PR department nighmare already."  Or at least, one could hope.

But what that is NOT is rabid, neurotic, over the top fandom.  It is the voice of the people, saying "We seriously want that back.  You made a mistake, please correct it.  Thank you."

And that is all.

I will leave with these two relevant things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Want_of_a_Nail
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came...

Both of which mean, go forth and tweet, people.  Do it!

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 06:33:56 PM »
Holding most of my response because I can't make it sound not insulting (and I don't mean it to be). Basically I think or efforts are best spent supporting the pitches however we are directed to, and mentioning CoH and how great it was whenever it is appropriate on articles and stuff. When articles are about something that would apply to CoH. "Oh man, CoH did that well, I would still be playing it if I could" kind of thing.

As for the PETA stuff. I'm so glad you guys are wise to them. So many people aren't and yell at me when I point out what they really are. I almost didn't check this thread again because I was scared. Lol

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 06:34:12 PM »
Well, if it's confined to using twitter hashtags then i guess it's not that bad. Of course i state that from the viewpoint of someone who doesn't follow NCsoft at all and who rarely logs into twitter...
And i do like minty things.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 10:28:38 AM »

Because comparing a simple tweet, one that would be a focused effort to point something out that needs correcting, to the lunacy of PeTA or other extremist organization that does way way worse, and does it in the real world, and online...

Yeah.  Not so much.

Ya I agree.  I don't think that is what was trying to be said, but I can see how it would sound that way.  I was just ranting about not liking PETA lol.  I don't think this would be comparable to anything they have done.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 01:58:07 PM »
If this was done right it could be very powerful.

A simple line used daily - "Got a problem? Odds against you? Call a Hero. #SaveCoH"

If you don't remember that is the theme line from The Equalizer. I loved that old show :)

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 07:15:54 PM »
If this was done right it could be very powerful.

A simple line used daily - "Got a problem? Odds against you? Call a Hero. #SaveCoH"

If you don't remember that is the theme line from The Equalizer. I loved that old show :)

Another good one that's similar is "If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team. "
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

NoName

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 09:35:46 PM »
Holding most of my response because I can't make it sound not insulting (and I don't mean it to be). Basically I think or efforts are best spent supporting the pitches however we are directed to, and mentioning CoH and how great it was whenever it is appropriate on articles and stuff. When articles are about something that would apply to CoH. "Oh man, CoH did that well, I would still be playing it if I could" kind of thing.

As for the PETA stuff. I'm so glad you guys are wise to them. So many people aren't and yell at me when I point out what they really are. I almost didn't check this thread again because I was scared. Lol

If you want I can yell at you for typing a complete sentence and then using "tho" at the end. It helps me gain faction standing in Grammar Patrol so we both win!

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 05:11:27 AM »
Oh, slogan time!

"When you find yourself in danger, When you're threatened by a stranger,  When it looks like you will take a lickin'? #SaveCoH"

I doubt many will get that though. :p

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 05:16:27 AM »
"Kitten, I think what I'm trying to say is, sometimes **** happens, someone has to deal with it, and who you gonna call?"

Hey, it's allowed. We've gotses ghost slaying axeses.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 09:48:36 AM »
This is an actual Twitter thing.  They call it a Thunderclap.  https://twitter.com/ThunderclapIt  Several activism sites are using it.

I say go for it.  It shows we are still out there, but it is not as if we're poking someone repeatedly in the arm, going "I'm touching you!  I'm touching you!  I'm touching you!"

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Twylite1

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 09:56:18 PM »
Oh, slogan time!

"When you find yourself in danger, When you're threatened by a stranger,  When it looks like you will take a lickin'? #SaveCoH"

I doubt many will get that though. :p

....There is one thing you should learn,
When there is no one else to turn to,
Caaaaaall for Super Chicken.

:)
It's all about keeping our name in the news and to not be obnoxious about it. Simple tweets with hashtags keep the name alive :)

Rain Maker

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 01:41:16 PM »
I'd be on board with this.

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 02:39:15 PM »
Well, yeah.  We're channelling Super Chicken, who *wouldn't* be on board?

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 05:21:20 PM »
houtie...this is something I found and want to post it for you!...and I am on board with you and Super Chicken!

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 01:57:30 AM »
Coool sounds like everyone likes this, and if VV says it's ok then it must be.

rather than doing it all at once like "ok watch the clock everyone it's almost 8pm eastern time to spam ncsoft on twitter" nah we could all just do it casually, like whenever you find yourselves remembering the game or missing it, plop a post on twitter aimed towards #NCSoft.

that way no one gets tired of it.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 05:14:22 AM »
houtie...this is something I found and want to post it for you!...and I am on board with you and Super Chicken!

Totally saved that. :D  Thanks much for that!

/I love that lil' robot.  He's so insane...
//Can't believe I don't have that locally... but I do now. :D

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 11:36:12 PM »
I'm going to wait and see how VV's sales pitch to Google goes. If it doesn't happen, kid gloves come off.

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 06:50:36 AM »
You... you had kid gloves on?  You must have teeny lil' hands.. I bet they're just charming, if a little out of proportion...

Oh, wait, this is them gloves what are Mickey Mouse looking, aren't they?  Well, in that case... how are you typing?  The Force?  Dragon Dictate?

/ok, ok, I'm shutting up now... sheesh... just because I'm sleep deprived and rambling around in here....

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
You... you had kid gloves on?  You must have teeny lil' hands.. I bet they're just charming, if a little out of proportion...

Oh, wait, this is them gloves what are Mickey Mouse looking, aren't they?  Well, in that case... how are you typing?  The Force?  Dragon Dictate?

/ok, ok, I'm shutting up now... sheesh... just because I'm sleep deprived and rambling around in here....

You need a long nap.

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 03:53:25 AM »
You have NO idea how right you are...  I could spend an hour typing up the 'why' of that, but suffice it to say, I would *love* a long nap. 

/Ain't gonna happen for a few whiles yet.  SO much goin' on... And that constant 8 part harmony of E-flat always ever-present in my ears...

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 08:01:36 PM »
*softly sings a lullaby*
♫♫ Rock-a-by houtieeee, on your soft bed ♪---dreams about tacos float in your head ♪ ♪

*tiptoes away*

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 05:52:54 AM »

*snores softly*

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 04:25:22 AM »
Well, since I'm here, my ms has been turned in and I wanted to celebrate by playing CoX...so I just tweeted that I'm still missing CoH to NCSoft...
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2013, 05:12:18 AM »
Well, since I'm here, my ms has been turned in and I wanted to celebrate by playing CoX...so I just tweeted that I'm still missing CoH to NCSoft...

Nice! hope your book sells well, I too tried writing fantasy.. I would ask for tips on how to keep ones self at the task, though my subconscious is warning me to keep my efforts on one project only, and as he is quite litterally the brains of the operation I should listen to him...

I find myself missing CoX everyday.. probably cause I play other MMOs and am constantly reminded how much better CoX was.. I tweet to NCSoft nearly everyday, unless I'm in an agroed mood then I know I wont be polite enough to help by posting to NCSoft.

anyways, keep it up, when ever you miss it let them and thier followers know. I'm #Joshex on twitter, warning if reading what I tweet be prepared for some odd stuff, I can be a bit manic sometimes.

LadyImmolatasia

• Minion
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2013, 05:53:03 PM »
I think it's a good idea. It's important to let the world, companies, and NCSoft know that we still have a demand for this game's life. I think the worst mistake we can ever make is to be passive enough to be silent about it. Desire and want will create a response in this scenario.

How we go about it is important. I admit, I still poke NCSoft's facebook page now again (which is probably futile) but if there's a more constructive way to go about mentioning the demand for City of Heroes to return, be sold to another company, etc., I'm all for it.

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2013, 03:35:36 AM »
And I posted again on 2 NC soft sites.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2013, 07:20:00 AM »
Nice! hope your book sells well, I too tried writing fantasy.. I would ask for tips on how to keep ones self at the task, though my subconscious is warning me to keep my efforts on one project only, and as he is quite litterally the brains of the operation I should listen to him...

I find myself missing CoX everyday.. probably cause I play other MMOs and am constantly reminded how much better CoX was.. I tweet to NCSoft nearly everyday, unless I'm in an agroed mood then I know I wont be polite enough to help by posting to NCSoft.

anyways, keep it up, when ever you miss it let them and thier followers know. I'm #Joshex on twitter, warning if reading what I tweet be prepared for some odd stuff, I can be a bit manic sometimes.
ROFLMAO, Joshex!  I especially liked your like observation about "my subconscious is warning me to keep my efforts on one project only, and as he is quite litterally [SIC or Pun?] the brains of the operation I should listen to him..." tho I think the rest of what you wrote here is also way nifty!
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2013, 07:25:13 AM »

Dear Healix,  I laugh and laugh whenever I see this amusing animation!!  I don't know why exactly, but it just makes me laugh - I guess because it fits so well with the idea of being "annoying for a (mere) 2 minutes" per day.  Truly, I and other Baby Boomer friends know how to be annoying the Whole Day Long and then some, so probably it's better and wiser of Gen X and/or the Millennials to limit "annoyance" communication to a short rapid burst that gets the point across without going for overkill.  Hooray for the smarter, younger, better educated generation(s)!  You ROCK!!!!!!
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine