Author Topic: "That's a Baby's toy!"  (Read 13668 times)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: "That's a Baby's toy!"
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 12:00:23 AM »
I think I might win an awesomesauce award from you guys.

The evening Larry and I got married, we spent about 4 hours in the arcade of the Excalibur Hotel in Lost Wages (that's right, Larry and I got married at the Excalibur by Merlin and our wedding reception was the Jousting Show).  He and our buddy Ben, his best man, were playing a machine they were DETERMINED to get to the endgame on, so he was on one set of controls, Ben was on the other, and I was standing between them with a bucket of quarters, feeding the machine so they never got reset, cheering them on. 

It was a blast.  Do not regret one single minute.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

pewlagon

• Boss
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 02:28:26 AM »
VV, now that's a team effort!

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 03:07:22 AM »
The evening Larry and I got married, we spent about 4 hours in the arcade of the Excalibur Hotel in Lost Wages (that's right, Larry and I got married at the Excalibur by Merlin and our wedding reception was the Jousting Show).  He and our buddy Ben, his best man, were playing a machine they were DETERMINED to get to the endgame on, so he was on one set of controls, Ben was on the other, and I was standing between them with a bucket of quarters, feeding the machine so they never got reset, cheering them on. 

It was a blast.  Do not regret one single minute.

Wow, alright... this doesn't happen very often... but I now have the urge to watch wedding/reception videos.

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 11:20:26 PM »
I'll always be a gamer.  Started dating a girl last week and turns out she is a former gamer that still enjoys playing some.   She was embarrassed at first, just saying that her brother worked for a software company.  When I asked what they made, she kind of sheepishly said, "Games."  I told her that was pretty cool and she immediately gushed, "Inorite?!"  ...did I mention she's about 10 years younger than me?  I feel old.  Anyway, went out for drinks, then ended up at her place for more drinks, and I gave her a copy of Dungeon Defenders on Steam.  It was taking too long to download so we went back to my place (taxi, thank you very much.  No drinky-drivy!) and played split-screen for like 6 hours. 

It was kind of weird in a way, considering the circumstances and what-not.  Still, good times.

BTW, I still have my old Atari 2600.  Don't have many games for it anymore, though.  Some wrestling game, ET, Donkey Kong, & Yars Revenge.  Asteroids too, I think.  Used to have Mouse Trap but can't find it now.

Eventually I'll get/make a MAME machine.  One of these days.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 10:01:43 PM »
BTW, I still have my old Atari 2600.  Don't have many games for it anymore, though.  Some wrestling game, ET, Donkey Kong, & Yars Revenge.  Asteroids too, I think.  Used to have Mouse Trap but can't find it now.
ET
ET
ET
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGG!

THE BANE OF MY YOUTH!  FIEND!  WHY MUST YOU CLAIM ANOTHER WITH YOUR RANCID ABJECT TERRRIBLENESS!?  AAAAAAAAAA...

No, but seriously, I now know of one other person besides myself who has suffered from that game.  I feel your pain, man.  I feel your pain.

*curls up in a corner and shivers*

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 12:29:36 AM »
ET!  *Hides under desk* 

Yeah I too suffered that ... lack of a better word... game.  I too know the pain of endlessly trying to get out of a pit!  I don't have my Atari 2600 anymore, the only system I still have is my PlayStation.  In a box in the closet my gaming went to PC and stayed there.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2013, 02:01:03 AM »
E. Gads.  E. T.

Horrible.  Just... horrible.  Never got it figured out. 

that and that awful thing they called PacMan.  Yeesh.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2013, 04:21:06 AM »
E.T.!
I fell into a pit...
And now I am pale white... and trying my hardest to float myself up to the top...
WTF?!?
 :o

Although, Yars Revenge... is ultimate coolness.

--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2013, 04:22:35 AM »
Unfortunately, it belongs to two of my brothers, they have the keys to it, and if I ever want to play it I still have to spend quarters on it... :P
Try holding a metal key... scrub your feet along the carpet and give a little shock near the coin slot. Not sure if that model is old enough or not, but it used to work for me back in the day... ;D

--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Stygian Outlaw

• Underling
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 05:35:39 PM »
I remember the Saturday nights when my parents where part of a bowling league and us kids would get our weekly allowance ($5) to spend on the arcade games and junk food.  My first exposure to the likes of Dig-Dug, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, and Tron.

When I got older and started going out on my own, I got to hit the arcades during the fight game craze of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. 

Nice thing is that if you have an old PC lying about collecting dust, you could always build a Arcade Box. 
http://www.arcadecab.com/

I'm doing something similar to this to incorporate some of my old console games that I'd like to have access to, but don't want to have to plug it all up.  Going to a bar top style for friends to play when we have get togethers and such.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 01:28:52 AM »
That site isn't live, anymore, but there are plenty of other sites for that sort of project.

I always liked the racing games, the ones where it's got you sitting in a vaguely car-shaped seat (really just a flat wood bench in a fancy cabinet). That's a little more space-intensive.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

pewlagon

• Boss
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2013, 08:19:32 PM »
Tim, I'm crying over Nostalgia.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.