Author Topic: Help Guy Pefect (the Sentinel/Sentinel+ Guy)  (Read 75038 times)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Help Guy Pefect (the Sentinel/Sentinel+ Guy)
« on: February 26, 2013, 03:45:03 PM »

Hey all, so funny story.  You know Guy Perfect, the guy who wrote Sentinel and Sentinel+, long-time contributor to the Titan Network?  Also one of the guys on the team that is allegedly working on creating a CoH client-compatible reverse-engineered server?  Well, he's moving to Texas!  Or at least he's trying to...

Texas or Bust! Wait, that was supposed to just be a saying...

Shortly after getting underway from Oregon, a cylinder head in his van cracked and he found himself homeless and transportationless, stranded.  The good news is that he managed to rent a U-Haul truck, he ditched his brick of a van, and is back on his way.  As I type this, he has stopped for the night in Lodi, California and will be back on the road tomorrow morning.  The bad news is that this unexpected turn of events has severely impacted his financial situation due to the added expenses of scrapping the van, renting the U-Haul (those things are REALLY expensive for long haul trips like that), gasoline, and once he gets to Texas, car rental until he can get set up and established.

That's where we come in.  Because of his significant contributions to the Titan Network and the City of Heroes community, I am hereby declaring now through the month of March Help Guy Move to Texas month!  What this means is that funds donated to the Titan Network now through March 31 will go to help Guy Perfect defray the unplanned expenses that he's incurred during this move and, once he arrives, keep a roof over his head and wheels under his--*ahem*--undercarriage for up to a few weeks once he gets there.

Okay, you've convinced me!  How can I help?

Easy!  If you have a few bucks to spare, click the button at the top of this post.  Or alternatively, go to our home page and click on the "Help Guy Move to Texas!" PayPal button in the Support Our Friends section.  All of the billing information is handled securely by PayPal.  We don't see your billing info or your address.  Your donation will actually go through the Titan Network (we're not holding any back, promise!), and I will forward the donations to Guy where he can thank you appropriately.

Buy what makes Guy so special?

I normally don't like to solicit donations, but I'm making an extra special exception in this case for a few reasons:
  • I've known him for years and he's given me lots of good reasons to trust him.  So much so that today I personally sent him an amount to help make sure he gets to Texas that I would never send someone I didn't trust implicitly.
  • He's done a lot of down-and-dirty hard work for the Titan Network and City of Heroes community, including the development of Sentinel and Sentinel+.  Without him, you all would still have been using /settitle macros to record your badges.  Without him, you wouldn't have exports of your character.  Without him, the alleged reverse engineering effort would hypothetically take twice as long.
  • We're still leaning heavily on his contributions to the team for various and sundry things, and the less the guy has to worry about where he's going to live and what he's going to eat, the better.
  • He's actually really responsible with money.  He doesn't eat out, he doesn't waste it on unproductive things.

In short, he's given a LOT of time and effort to the community over the years, and continues to do so even with the game shut down.  If you want to drop a quick thank you to the Titan Network, I can't think of a better way than by helping out one of its most dedicated contributors.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: Help Guy Pefect (the Sentinel/Sentinel+ Guy)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 03:45:20 PM »
Oy, am I weary. But hey, I'm finally back on the road! I had to tow that silly mini-van through the mountains of southern Oregon/northern California since it broke down on Sunday and the junkers happen to be closed on Sundays. But I finally got rid of it and the tow dolly, and swapped out for a smaller rental vehicle, so I'm good to get on the road today!

What sucks is all the money I put into it last week. Oil change, new battery, new tires, tire chains due to Oregon state law... The only thing I was allowed to salvage was the battery. And on top of that was the cost of the rental truck. )-:

I don't want to have to come to you guys and say "Hay gimme cashez!" but I'm honestly out of options. My van was going to be my transportation and a makeshift 24-square-foot apartment once I got to Texas, but it decided to jump ship shortly after the trip began. So hey, any help would be greatly appreciated!

And like Tony mentioned up there, and as I've alluded to a few times, um... Yeah, there certainly are rumors of a reverse-engineered City of Heroes implementation out there, aren't there? (-:

Mysterious J

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 03:51:05 PM »
Done.  And here's hoping for better luck, Guy.

Steele Magnolia

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 05:02:36 PM »
Done. Not much, just my pizza money but I hope it helps.

DavidMadly

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 05:22:15 PM »
I'm in, as a way of saying thanks for all the work you've done & will do for the community.

Moggie

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 05:44:56 PM »
I may have some crash space for you. I need to get an ETA and some other details. Can you PM me?

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 05:47:49 PM »
You guys rock hard.  I can't tell you how much this is helping.  I mean, I could, and I'll probably try at some point, but I'm at work today and can't take too long writing a book of gratitude.  And I'm chatting with Guy as he gets ready to head out for the day to try to make it many hundreds of miles.  This is turning from an "Oh $*+!" experience into a "Hey, I think I'm going to make it!", and of course, it proves yet again just how awesome a community this is.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 05:59:22 PM »
Looks like the heroes didn't get shut down with Paragon City. Thanks guys. (-:

I'm getting ready to leave Lodi here, and I want to be in Barstow before I stop again. I'd go a little further, but it doesn't look like a lot between there and, like, Arizona. So I figure I get down to Barstow today, and head across the mountains tomorrow.

Moggie, I've sent you a PM. However, I won't be able to check my messages again for a few hours. Thanks for popping in!

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 06:13:08 PM »
If my house down in Fort Worth wasn't already rented out, I'm sure we could work out an agreement for a rent "discount", but my tenant's actually been pretty good.  That being said, I'll toss up a donation when I get home tonight. :)

Did you at least get to keep the chains for the van since they had that "return them if you don't use them before April 1" policy?

Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 06:16:08 PM »
And done. Thanks for all the hard work Guy! I hope things turn around quickly, and a month or two from now you can't believe how great it's all going! ;D

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 07:03:46 PM »
Done. Owe a lot to Guy. Get here safe! I've made that moving trip myself! Twice!

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 07:21:43 PM »
/joking (somewhat)
Oregon to Texas?? But... but... WHY???
Haha, don't answer that! ;D

/serious
I'm not in great shape here, but if I can manage to throw a bit into the pot, so be it!

I hope the rest of your move goes MUCH more smoothly!

I think your van breaking down at the beginning of a long trek and move is good luck, right?? Like rain on a wedding day or something... ;)

Best of luck to you, par'ner!

Oh, and done! I'm happy to chip in and help. Your services to us in the CoH community have been extremely appreciated!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:56:36 PM by Electric-Knight »
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Scrier

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 08:21:16 PM »
Like rain on a wedding day or something... ;)

No, that's just ironic.

Glad to see people rallying to the cause. I'll give when I'm able to, but that may be a little too late.

Lucretia MacEvil

Re: Help Guy Perfect (the Sentinel/Sentinel+ Guy)
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 08:29:31 PM »
... Oh my God, this community is awesome.

Gonna scrape up some $ when I get back from work. 

Good luck, Guy!

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 10:13:57 PM »
Will hit the donate button when I get home in a few hours! Settling in the Dallas/Fort Worth area by chance? Atlantea also lives around here, not to out him or anything.  ;D

Hejist

• Underling
  • @Ghostchase
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 11:07:50 PM »
Been wondering for a while how to best thank you guys for ALL the work you've put in over yrs, and all the extra fun you added to CoH for me. Mid's, without doubt, was as big a part of CoH as the costume designer for me. Both of which I STILL have thanks to YOU (ooh welling up here  ???). Now seems like a good time say that thanks with meaning.

So here Guy, take this, TY and GL in the move.  ;)

@Ghostchase

Edit:After reading the internet cost, donated a bit more. And no Codewalker, you're wrong...it's you guys that rock!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:32:42 AM by Hejist »
@Ghostchase - M15F1T fire/trapper

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 11:25:37 PM »
I've got 2 plots ;D of prime Texas desert wasteland 8) that I bought off ebay :roll: that you can camp out in if you're in the neighborhood.  One at Cochran County and one near Pecos.  All I have are GPS coordinates, though.  :P  If you're passing through, take some pictures for me.  I haven't seen them yet.   :roll:
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 11:28:23 PM »
Rockin'!  Thanks a ton, guys.  Like I said, I know this means a lot to Guy, but it also really encourages me to see such support from the community for one of our own!  Last I heard, Guy was in Fowler, but that was several hours ago.  I suspect that he'll reach Barstow in the next 30 to 60 minutes, where he'll probably check back in.  Then starting tomorrow comes the fun part of the trip: hours and hours of nothing but sand and cacti as he makes his way through Arizona. :)

One at Cochran County and one near Pecos.  All I have are GPS coordinates, though.  :P  If you're passing through, take some pictures for me.  I haven't seen them yet.   :roll:

I'd have to let him answer this for sure, but looking at the map, I think that Pecos is going to be way out of the way, and he'll only pass within about an hour of Cochran County.  He'll be out more in Eastern Texas, around the Fort Worth area.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 11:42:54 PM »
You guys rock!

Guy is good peoples, I'm glad to see so many willing to help him.

With any luck he'll get where he's going without any more unpleasant surprises.

Local Man

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 12:47:26 AM »
Things are tight in the Local Man house, but I donated a few bucks to someone who spent so much time helping us.

Things should be much better in Texas than Oregon.