Author Topic: CoX-Inspired Project: The Interminables  (Read 1522 times)

Tinhead

• Underling
CoX-Inspired Project: The Interminables
« on: March 02, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
Tinhead here, writing in from Virtue (yes, that server).  Just dropping in to say that around five months ago I began a singular project as a final thank-you to the fine folks I met in CoX and to the game itself: a novel inspired by the characters and events of the Codex SG.  It has since reached over a hundred pages, I have begun the second round of revisions, and over the course of its writing I have remained in contact with a great deal of friends and comrades who have weighed in on matters ranging from the proper treatment for frostbite to 40s slang to the possibility that logic is a physical object that can be curved by gravitational lensing. 

As the greatest bastion of CoX veterans I know, I decided to finally work up the courage to share this work with the Titan Forums and anyone on them who shares my love of ''speculative fiction'' aka ''stories with superheroes in them.''  It isn't finished, but it is by far the greatest writing project I have ever begun and it is propelled by duty to great friends, love of great characters, and memories of great times.  Publication is the goal.

It wouldn't have happened without City of Heroes.

THE INTERMINABLES

It's 2020, and librarian, wizard, and 35-year-old World War II veteran Edmund Templeton wants nothing more than to live a tempered, predictable eternity free of too much self-reflection. Unfortunately, the Mayans were right. The great Shift of 2012 has come and gone, the world has entered a terrifying new era dominated by powers beyond the understanding of both science and magic, and faces from the beginning of those dire days have returned to dog his steps.

During the course of an unwanted investigation in America's storm-wracked heartland, Edmund and the only friend he can keep for all of forever, the ghostly surgeon Istvan Czernin, quickly discover that the civilization-hating cult of Upheaval has survived its supposed destruction and hatched a plot to distribute an unknown bioweapon throughout the Eastern seaboard. They manage to acquire a sample of the weapon, a biochemist to examine it, and a probable point of origin, but before anything can be done a pair of former allies attack their base of operations. Giving chase, Edmund and Istvan discover that a second foe has played its hand: Braunland, an extradimensional creature bent on world order through forced serenity.

Separated by betrayal and reunited by desperation, the two friends find themselves fighting the combined forces of both enemies.  Can they hold out long enough to come up with a counter plan? Can their allies and even their own minds be trusted?  Most importantly, will Edmund's faithful old hat survive the carnage in one piece?

http://unosombrero.deviantart.com