Author Topic: How's the RP on this forum?  (Read 1989 times)

HugoLuman

• Minion
How's the RP on this forum?
« on: March 19, 2013, 07:07:29 AM »
As a veteran of forum RP'ing, a thought occurs. How much of the spirit of Virtue has transferred to this forum since the actual game closed? How many of the displaced CoH RP'ers turned to the forum? Just testing the waters, do we have enough interest here to sustain a good, long RP?

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: How's the RP on this forum?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 01:53:04 PM »
should be. Actually there is a forum RP but havent came across updates for it in past couple of days but then again wasnt specifically looking for it. Check it out, and see if it's what ya looking for. If not, then start one, people will join. Probably many just as interested in the type and depth of RP you are in but as usual everyone is waiting for someone else to hit the dance floor first.

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 04:29:39 PM »
I am certain there is an interest for RP here, I just think we are lacking a good "hook" to get it all started and to get all of our characters together.  Rotten Luck's post was a good start, as pretty much anything would be possible and everyone was together in Pocket D.

And as there are both Heroes and Villians (and you other types :D) amongst us, the setting would have to be relatively neutral.  I do like the idea of Heroes and Villians having to grudgingly work together for the greater good.

I guess what I would propose is this: We make a bio thread for characters involved in the RP with pictures, powers, personality, appearance, etc.  Now here is the hard part...choose ONE character per person to represent in the RP.  One person RPing multiple characters might get a little out of hand (at least to start with).  Now depending on the setting, we could have episode threads that would be the current adventure and each one could advance the overarching plot.

Now here comes the complex part.  How do we handle other "players" fighting other "players" or "mobs?"  On other roleplaying forums I have been on, the best way to do this (which is a little limiting, but safer) is that only a player is allowed to describe what their character does.  So for example, my character gets shot at by a mob (or player).  I can choose how my character reacts, if I deflect the bullet, if I dodge it, if I take the bullet to the leg, etc.  There is a lot of potential here for better and for worse.  One could make their character pretty much invincible with these rules.  But considering how much we all love CoX, having our characters stay within the limit of our powers would be a good guideline.  So for example, a character with invulnerability or regeneration gets hit by said bullet.  It would makes sense if the bullet bounces off or the flesh regrows to spit the bullet out, but if either of them got hit by a psychic attack, then that would hurt them more.  The way I view my character's defensive power Willpower is that they can resist the pain, but will still receive bruises and other injuries afterward.

On the Roleplaying forums I have been on, there has also been a Gamemaster who determines the overall plot, makes NPCs talk, controls mobs (much like Dungeons and Dragons), but this can often be too much work for one person, leading to burnout.  So I think if we all act responsibly and keep this RP in the spirit of CoX, we shouldn't have any problems.

I can create said Bio thread and then we can continue to talk about what else we want to do in here if there is interest.
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

HugoLuman

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 03:39:15 AM »
I just had this idea for a forum RP, figured here would be there perfect place. It's a secret evil plan, not yet ready for deployment, though.