Author Topic: Who plays Batman now?  (Read 7988 times)

Nightwatch

• Lieutenant
Who plays Batman now?
« on: March 25, 2013, 11:45:02 AM »

Who should the franchise use as the new Batman?
My pick would be Karl Urban who played Judge Dredd and McCoy in Star Trek.

Lothic

• Lieutenant
  • Like tears in rain...
Re: Who plays Batman now?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 02:44:40 PM »
Karl Urban could probably pull off a decent Batman based on his work as Judge Dredd and his Vaako character from The Chronicles of Riddick.

The only problem with guessing about this right now is that with the upcoming JLA movie and all the rumors about whether or not Bale will reprise his Batman role it's hard to say when the next "Batman only" movies will happen.  We might have to wait another 5 or 10 years before someone relaunches the Batman franchise and in that time there might be other people who'll come along who could be a good Batman besides Urban.
CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 06:00:46 PM »
I think I would like to see a continuation of the Nolanverse. Barring that, lets get some Batman Beyond going with Clint Eastwood as old Bruce.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 07:20:43 PM »
.. I really hope they don't start a new Batman series in less than 10 years, new actor or otherwise.  (Especially since it's just going to start with an origin movie, because Hollywood has no other ideas on how to start a superhero film series, even for a character whose origin is as well-known as, say, Batman, Superman, or Spider-Man)

Arnabas

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 12:37:08 AM »
Lol. I thought this was going to be about whether or not anyone was still playing Arkham City.

I don't have a particular actor in mind but I would like to see them do it similar in style to the animated series and ditch the Nolan-verse. I know the trend now is to be more realistic, but I don't read comics or go to movies for realism. I like a bit of escapism. I was recently reading Strands of Fate, while looking for a system to do some superhero role-playing with my son. As they wrote in the book, the rules are not necessarily realistic but are made to be fun and exciting. After all, they ask, when was the last time you saw someone come out of the theater saying "Wow that was realistic!" More often you will hear "wow that was cool!"

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 10:49:34 AM »
I recently had this idea at work...yeah, it's really mindnumbing work so I have to keep my brain busy to keep it from liquifying.
Anyway, I'd really like to see a Batman TV series. With less action than the movies and more focus on the whole World's Best Detective part.

But to answer the OP's question, for the JLA movie it will probably be either Bale or Joseph Gordon-Levitt as his replacement.
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »
I hope they continue the storyline instead of another reboot with the orinin all over again, a story that has been told to death. One of the reasons I didnt bother with the new spiderman movie. Ok, how many times can the same old mild mannered kid who uncle gets shot and turned into a super hero get told? Apparently Hollywood is out to find out.

I think I flashed over a comment with Clint Eastwood as old batman and Batman Beyond stuff. Hmmm. that could work.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 02:31:28 PM »
Is a Batman reboot threatening to happen... again? Really?

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 11:32:17 PM »
Well... considering that Arkham Asylum is my absolute favorite take on Bat Man, I won't be completely annoyed if they choose to go that route. IF they actually treat it with as much respect as the Nolan films.

But how often do films based on video games EVER get treated properly?

All that aside, considering that these reboots are now getting planned even before the current installment ends... we're in big trouble. I need to get myself to a parallel Earth where the entertainment industry evolved along a different path.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 03:54:59 PM »
I think I would like to see a continuation of the Nolanverse. Barring that, lets get some Batman Beyond going with Clint Eastwood as old Bruce.
This needs to happen!

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 01:38:31 PM »
Well... considering that Arkham Asylum is my absolute favorite take on Bat Man, I won't be completely annoyed if they choose to go that route. IF they actually treat it with as much respect as the Nolan films.

But how often do films based on video games EVER get treated properly?
Just shoot Uwe Boll before he can get his hands on it :P
All that aside, considering that these reboots are now getting planned even before the current installment ends...
It does make sense, considering that Nolan's Batman was planned as just a trilogy, ending with Batsi's death. Kinda.
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 01:41:49 PM »
I think Armie Hammer would be perfect for Batman. He was almost Batman in the recently failed JL, excellent in The Social Network and we're about to see if he's leading man material in The Lone Ranger. Sure his hair needs a little dye but big deal. He's already tall, built, has a Bruce Wayne look and would probably have a great Bat-voice.

I'm personally ok with a "soft reboot" like they did with Ed Norton's Incredible Hulk. New story, new cast, but no need to retread the origin. Just intro the new Bats in either a World's Finest or JL movie then move on to more stand alone movies after that.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 06:38:22 PM »
I had actually read something recently that they're actually looking as Joesph Gordon-Levitt as the next Batman (specifically for a JL movie). Would make sense with the way TDKR ended.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 01:22:39 AM »
I don't think Nolanverse Batman really can continue.  The end of the Wayne corporation ensured that.  There's no more money to be had, and worse, no more gadgetry/tech.  Bruce can't do it anyway, he's broken.  He is done.  Oh, sure there's some way to write a magic saving throw on all that, but really.  All the assets were liquidated or distributed or taken over, except the batcave.

Nightwing would be the next best thing, with JGL doing it, but that would be him just using whatever's leftover in the batcave.  It could work, but...

It is my opinion that the Nolanverse Batman is over and done, except for the below:

1) As far as a JLA Batman, there's no real way to include BatBale, as the way that story was told... he'd have to be somewhere between Begins and TDK.  I don't think that's a real doable thing, but there is your out to get him in it.  It would be a one shot deal.

2) It's *possible* they could write some weird goofy story where Superman gathers all the stuff from the batcave and hides it, with Nightwing's help, and then kidnapps Bruce (and Selena?) to get him to help, dammit.  Or something of that nature.  Who else could do it?  J'onn J'onzz maybe... but unlikely.

That second is going to highly be dependent on Man of Steel's story and how it ends, I would say.

I, for one, would be highly put out if JLA had Bale in it, or referenced Nolanverse at all.  To be honest, as silly as it sounds, I'd rather they either just didn't explain how Bats got there, he just is.  We all know his story.  Or, and this would be killing it for sure, but they could reference Burtonverse Batman.  And put nipples on the suit again.  Heh.

They simply screwed up.  They needed to get JLA done BEFORE TDK.  After wasn't gonna work.  Between Begins and TDK, they had the chance.

Now, they'll truly have to reboot it again, ala Spiderman, and do like the Avengers, to make the story work.  Or have Joss Whedon come in and make the story work somehow, but even he would have a hard time.  Maybe Kevin Smith, but I kinda doubt they'd even wanna work with him these days.  Something about giant spiders...

Of course, all that's my opinion.   We'll see what happens, won't we?

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 01:44:54 PM »
I don't think Nolanverse Batman really can continue.  The end of the Wayne corporation ensured that.  There's no more money to be had, and worse, no more gadgetry/tech.  Bruce can't do it anyway, he's broken.  He is done.  Oh, sure there's some way to write a magic saving throw on all that, but really.  All the assets were liquidated or distributed or taken over, except the batcave.

Nightwing would be the next best thing, with JGL doing it, but that would be him just using whatever's leftover in the batcave.  It could work, but...

It is my opinion that the Nolanverse Batman is over and done, except for the below:

1) As far as a JLA Batman, there's no real way to include BatBale, as the way that story was told... he'd have to be somewhere between Begins and TDK.  I don't think that's a real doable thing, but there is your out to get him in it.  It would be a one shot deal.

2) It's *possible* they could write some weird goofy story where Superman gathers all the stuff from the batcave and hides it, with Nightwing's help, and then kidnapps Bruce (and Selena?) to get him to help, dammit.  Or something of that nature.  Who else could do it?  J'onn J'onzz maybe... but unlikely.

That second is going to highly be dependent on Man of Steel's story and how it ends, I would say.

I, for one, would be highly put out if JLA had Bale in it, or referenced Nolanverse at all.  To be honest, as silly as it sounds, I'd rather they either just didn't explain how Bats got there, he just is.  We all know his story.  Or, and this would be killing it for sure, but they could reference Burtonverse Batman.  And put nipples on the suit again.  Heh.

They simply screwed up.  They needed to get JLA done BEFORE TDK.  After wasn't gonna work.  Between Begins and TDK, they had the chance.

Now, they'll truly have to reboot it again, ala Spiderman, and do like the Avengers, to make the story work.  Or have Joss Whedon come in and make the story work somehow, but even he would have a hard time.  Maybe Kevin Smith, but I kinda doubt they'd even wanna work with him these days.  Something about giant spiders...

Of course, all that's my opinion.   We'll see what happens, won't we?

I love The Dark Knight Trilogy, sure its not perfect but it is an excellent, excellent Batman trilogy. However, it was fully conceptualized as a stand alone trilogy in a world with ONLY Batman. I believe it should stay that way. Marvel has spent a lot of time and work behind the scenes connecting their movies, even if only in small ways. From cameos to behind the scenes creative meetings between directors and producers ensuring the movies work together, it's a huge undertaking and we shouldn't assume you can just shoehorn Nolan's Batman into this new universe.

Use Man of Steel as a jump off point and reintroduce a new Batman. No explanation or backstory needed, we've all got it. That was my biggest problem with the new Spiderman, they didn't need to retread the origin, just get a new cast, crew and move on. Otherwise I thought it was fantastic and better than Raimi's Spiderman 1 & 3.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
I love The Dark Knight Trilogy, sure its not perfect but it is an excellent, excellent Batman trilogy. However, it was fully conceptualized as a stand alone trilogy in a world with ONLY Batman. I believe it should stay that way. Marvel has spent a lot of time and work behind the scenes connecting their movies, even if only in small ways. From cameos to behind the scenes creative meetings between directors and producers ensuring the movies work together, it's a huge undertaking and we shouldn't assume you can just shoehorn Nolan's Batman into this new universe.

Use Man of Steel as a jump off point and reintroduce a new Batman. No explanation or backstory needed, we've all got it. That was my biggest problem with the new Spiderman, they didn't need to retread the origin, just get a new cast, crew and move on. Otherwise I thought it was fantastic and better than Raimi's Spiderman 1 & 3.

Hollywood studios are expert at shoehorning stuff.

You know they cant leave a good trilogy alone. They'll either reboot it, or make some more tagged on. Fast and Furious supposed to been three movies originally at most, then assuming that the first one makes money, which it did and we are on number 6 coming out soon?

Saw, trilogy was originally planned after the first oen got some success and that went to 7 I think and planned 8 if the last one didnt bomb.

Final Destination was supposed to be one movie but went to four and then planned to stop it again there but then made another (actually the 5th wasnt half bad to tie in the stuff but I think 4 and 3 were crap and 2-4 could have been taken out and the story still would have been lost.)

How many times Spiderman been rebooted already and it's barely been 11 years since the first of the first three came out.

Ok the Hulk (the first modern one with Eric Banner or something) kind of could of used a reboot, especially to tie in with the Avengers.

I guess they are getting the super hero movies out of the way before the money go down the tube with over saturation.

But really if they are going to reboot batman yet again, unlike the reboot of the one of the 1990s, where it was cheesy, and they flipped it to be gritty, where are they goign to go with this reboot? If they are going to do gritty, they have a steep hill to climb as far as expectations. If they are going cheesy, well we seen how that worked out by the second one and it became obvoius low effort low quality money grab with the one with Arnie, Uma Thurman and that guy havent from since much Chris O'Donnell or something. Think only George Clooney survived that fiasco nearly unscathed.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 06:18:21 PM »
Hollywood studios are expert at shoehorning stuff.

You know they cant leave a good trilogy alone. They'll either reboot it, or make some more tagged on. Fast and Furious supposed to been three movies originally at most, then assuming that the first one makes money, which it did and we are on number 6 coming out soon?

Saw, trilogy was originally planned after the first oen got some success and that went to 7 I think and planned 8 if the last one didnt bomb.

Final Destination was supposed to be one movie but went to four and then planned to stop it again there but then made another (actually the 5th wasnt half bad to tie in the stuff but I think 4 and 3 were crap and 2-4 could have been taken out and the story still would have been lost.)

How many times Spiderman been rebooted already and it's barely been 11 years since the first of the first three came out.

Ok the Hulk (the first modern one with Eric Banner or something) kind of could of used a reboot, especially to tie in with the Avengers.

I guess they are getting the super hero movies out of the way before the money go down the tube with over saturation.

But really if they are going to reboot batman yet again, unlike the reboot of the one of the 1990s, where it was cheesy, and they flipped it to be gritty, where are they goign to go with this reboot? If they are going to do gritty, they have a steep hill to climb as far as expectations. If they are going cheesy, well we seen how that worked out by the second one and it became obvoius low effort low quality money grab with the one with Arnie, Uma Thurman and that guy havent from since much Chris O'Donnell or something. Think only George Clooney survived that fiasco nearly unscathed.

I disagree with the over-saturation point, I think superheroes aren't really a genre per se. They're a type of character, as we move on we'll see that Captain America can be a global spy/soldier thriller, Batman a gritty detective noir-esque story, Superman a science fiction/action hero, etc etc. Over-saturation will happen if we get too many bad movies though.

A Batman reboot doesn't have to be a themed Batman though. No need to go "This time Batman will be campy/gritty/reastic/gothic!" just make it good. New actor, different style costume, new cast & crew and move on.

Regarding how many times Spiderman has been rebooted...once?

The Hulk is the perfect example of how to reboot, think I might have mentioned it before. They did a soft reboot/sequel. New cast, new crew, but they didn't retread the origin and just moved on.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 02:17:51 AM »
If they are going cheesy, well we seen how that worked out by the second one and it became obvoius low effort low quality money grab with the one with Arnie, Uma Thurman and that guy havent from since much Chris O'Donnell or something. Think only George Clooney survived that fiasco nearly unscathed.
Oh, I dunno about much scathing...

Post "Batman And Robin"...
Uma Thurman - Kill Bill 1 and 2, My Super Ex-Girlfriend, and a few others roles besides.
Arnold Schwarzenegger - Terminator 3, Governator of California.
Chris O'Donnell - NCIS: Los Angeles. 
Alicia Silverstone - Blast from the Past... and... uh... yeah, ok, she can't act her way out of a paper bag, so she really doesn't count.  Be like trying to make Jake Lloyd sound awesome.  But she's totally hot, so there's that.

Whatever all that stupidness is worth. :p

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 05:31:51 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see Spider-man get another reboot once Marvel gets the rights back, especially if they want to include him in the same like as The Avengers and the side movies for those characters.

As far as Batman, JL, etc. I've seen it mentioned in articles, videos, and the like that if a Justice League movie were done, they would likely do the reverse of what Marvel did for The Avengers. Start off with the League members meeting, joining forces, defeating some threat, then give all the characters their own spin-off movie(s).