Keeper of the toons from the SG, Sugar Coated Suicide, Freedom
Older'n Dirt and proud of it!

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: 3D?!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 04:36:03 PM »
Didn't some 3D monitors let you play CoH in 3D?

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 08:24:43 AM »
I've been following the Occulus since before it was on Kickstarter.  When John Carmack is impressed, it's time to pay attention.

Actually it's a brilliant piece of tech that's almost entirely possible due to the advancement of smartphone - SOC (system on chip), tilt and accelerometer sensors and the high resolution displays.

One of the reasons older VR goggles were so huge was the optics required to alter the image from the display without excessive distortion.  Cheaper, simpler optics wouldn't work.  The breakthrough was the realization that the processing and graphics power found on smartphones now can distort the input image to compensate the distortions caused by the cheaper, simpler optics so it still looks right.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 01:04:54 AM »
Didn't some 3D monitors let you play CoH in 3D?
A friend of mine that tried it before said it was not possible due to City being a maximised borderless window instead of true fullscreen, so it was not possible, even with Google Glasses.

Pity was that they changed the engine to that just before he bought the screen, glasses and Video card to support Stereoscopic.
Yeeessss....

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 05:58:18 AM »
I'd rather just have a computer screen that works like Nintendo 3DS.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 11:57:26 PM »
I'd rather just have a computer screen that works like Nintendo 3DS.
This.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 04:39:13 PM »
Why, so you and the person sitting on your lap have to stare at it from just the right distance lest you be assaulted by headaches?

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 05:38:43 PM »
Why, so you and the person sitting on your lap have to stare at it from just the right distance lest you be assaulted by headaches?

http://voices.yahoo.com/vizios-3d-without-glasses-did-we-here-11971472.html

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 08:49:33 AM »
3D?

Psh, I'm waiting for the 8-bit CoH platformer-RPG, the way it was intended to be played.

...kidding.
Woo! - Argent Girl

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 10:59:58 PM »
oooooooooooh........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 11:38:51 PM »

"So, baby, lemme show you this awesome... videogame..." *cue Barry White*
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 04:30:43 PM »
Blender 3D has a per scene anaglyph game redering mode.

for those of you unfamiliar with this, anaglyph means the additions of blue and or red pixels highlighting the edges of a 3d object for use with red and blue lensed 3D glasses, with the addition of game textures such as Open GL/per pixel maps the red and blue highlights are then calculated on a per pixel basis.

this was one reason I really suggested blender as the main GE for the plan Z projects, blender can do anything, it's just a matter of figuring out how to do it, most of the time it's as simple as pressing a few buttons

heck, I'm speaking about blender 2.49b, not sure what 2.6 can do (I've only messed with 2.6+ a few times)

anyways, I saw this thread and I initially thought it was about something else entirely which I will now rant about;

(my sarcasm = other peoples real thoughts) OMG 3D!! like it's instantly totally more cool and better than it's 2D predecessors even if the story, artwork and gameplay sux in comparison..

rant over.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 05:32:31 PM »
anyways, I saw this thread and I initially thought it was about something else entirely which I will now rant about;

(my sarcasm = other peoples real thoughts) OMG 3D!! like it's instantly totally more cool and better than it's 2D predecessors even if the story, artwork and gameplay sux in comparison..

Part of my reason for having little interest in wearing glasses while at a computer.

3D never really did anything for me in the movie theater. Ironically, the ONLY time it seemed to enhance the experience was when gimmicky "flying in the face" effects could make me flinch. But with a regular film converted to 3D, the novelty wears off within 5 minutes and I don't even notice it's there anymore.

Still, I always thought 3D had more practical applications in a workstation environment. It may not make a game experience cooler, but it could greatly enhance an interface.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 05:45:18 PM »
3D?
Psh, I'm waiting for the 8-bit CoH platformer-RPG, the way it was intended to be played.

...kidding.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 12:05:15 AM by MaidMercury »

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 06:16:15 PM »
Wow these new fangled things are neat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAC5SeNH8jw

And to get an idea of what she was seeing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKoSALEaV28
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »
for those of you unfamiliar with this, anaglyph means the additions of blue and or red pixels highlighting the edges of a 3d object for use with red and blue lensed 3D glasses, with the addition of game textures such as Open GL/per pixel maps the red and blue highlights are then calculated on a per pixel basis.

Almost. A typical anaglyph image merges both images of a stereoscopic still, using only the red channel from the left-eye image and only the green and blue channels from the right-eye image. This has the side-effect of producing colored "outlines" on the sides of objects near the focal plane.

It has the benefit of producing simple stereoscopy, but at the expense of demolishing half of the color data present in the images. Additionally, since the cyan filter generally lets through all blue and green light, it results in the right eye receiving twice as much light as the left eye, leading to uneven exposure.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 05:37:39 PM »

I'm thinking about it. I'm really, really thinking about it. I want to do some homebrew on Virtual Boy and haven't come up with any great ideas yet. (-:

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 06:37:22 PM »
I'm thinking about it. I'm really, really thinking about it. I want to do some homebrew on Virtual Boy and haven't come up with any great ideas yet. (-:

There's indie games being developed for V-Boy? Seriously?  :o

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 02:18:48 PM »

maniac mansion FTW, loved that game. spent hours trying to get all the endings when I was a kid.

Almost. A typical anaglyph image merges both images of a stereoscopic still, using only the red channel from the left-eye image and only the green and blue channels from the right-eye image. This has the side-effect of producing colored "outlines" on the sides of objects near the focal plane.

It has the benefit of producing simple stereoscopy, but at the expense of demolishing half of the color data present in the images. Additionally, since the cyan filter generally lets through all blue and green light, it results in the right eye receiving twice as much light as the left eye, leading to uneven exposure.

meh, yeah it is outdated.

I have a different system now which I'm gonna code soon.

meh, I saw Virtual boy, now while I love me some yokoi V-boy itself is outdated both graphically and mechanically in design. I would like to design a videogame system at some point, and I may very well do so during my course in computer science, one that will truely become the new hot item for christmas.

BTW when talking about 3D why is it I think about disney's the little mermaid in 3D, and when i think about that all I can immagine is 'tit-bounce'?
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 12:10:33 AM »

I was poking around with Quest, a text adventure "engine," before my hard drive died, with the intent of making something akin to the "original" City of Heroes that was put up as an April Fool's gag. I probably won't get back to it soon, unfortunately. I haven't even put Quest on the new hard drive.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."