Author Topic: Unstoppable as good as Regeneration or Invulnerability?  (Read 7253 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Unstoppable as good as Regeneration or Invulnerability?
« on: March 31, 2013, 08:48:12 PM »
I have mostly been doing ranged toons or pet control. I'm dabbling a bit in melee right now just to try different things out. Once it's slotted, is Unstoppable as good as Regen or Invul or should I pick one of those instead?

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
Re: Unstoppable as good as Regeneration or Invulnerability?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 11:02:50 PM »
That depends on what you're planning on doing. Melee DPS or Straight Tanking?

Let's put it in COH terms -

If you're wanting a more "Scrapper/Brute" style of build, you'll want Unstoppable. It provides less overall protection than Invulnerable, but raises your melee damage (all types). You'll still be pretty durable. But large DPS Spike damage against you will hurt. If you're running freeform, then you want to be in "Brawler" stance.

In my experience Invulnerability is your straight Tanker ability. This is what you want to have on to either take all the damage you draw to yourself via aggro (assuming you have the capability to draw the aggro, but that's a different topic) and just take it and survive. Allows you to pretty much ignore "trash" mob damage or anything coming from enemies with levels significantly below yours. Synergizes superbly with the Tanker stance.

Me? I like having both options available on my melee toons. I'll put Unstoppable on the Brawler build, and Invulnerable on the Tanker build tabs. Generally run in Brawler by default. But Switching to tanker for "survival" mode in harder fights.

Regeneration I haven't used much, just run some basic experiments with. So take what I say with a grain of salt. Seems to operate similarly to the way  COH regeneration did, with all that implies (both good and bad.) I'd suggest using it on toons where you're going to be going for stacked self-heals. Make it the base of a true regeneration toon. Probably as a theme like a lycanthrope or a Wolverine type.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 11:22:48 PM »
Invul. is good. It's straight forward classic tanking power, especially when stacked with good amount of defense.

Regen is CO works kind of like regen in COH, except in CO I dont feel as squishy overall although Cox regen was in no means easily squished. In CO though you can stack regen with defense and have a very solid upper level tank(regen tank) easily from early level when you pick it up to 40. It's decent out of the box and dont have to wait for it to bloom like some others like Lightning reflex which is a joke in early levels but get stronger later.

Unstoppable as mentioned is good for scrap/brute types. It boost damage output but if you hate blocking and get hit with large powers, you might find yourself face plant especially when facing enemy that will take more than a few hits to kill. Do not skip getting a heal (assuming ya free form.) it will be your life line. Preferably one that isnt heal over time IMO.

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 12:56:16 AM »
I highly recommend that if you choose regeneration, you supplement with either shields, dodge, Evasive Maneuvers, or any other movement enhancing or stealth powers.

While it is a good passive, it becomes exponentially stronger when you are able to extract yourself from line of sight or melee range of enemies.
Spess