Author Topic: Save CO?  (Read 3763 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Save CO?
« on: April 01, 2013, 07:28:28 PM »
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Save CO?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 07:35:43 PM »
Good for them.  Even if the only lasting legacy of the #SaveCOH campaign is the inspiration for players of other games to save the games they love, we'll have managed to have a positive impact on the greater community of gaming in general.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 08:07:38 PM »
Good for them.  Even if the only lasting legacy of the #SaveCOH campaign is the inspiration for players of other games to save the games they love, we'll have managed to have a positive impact on the greater community of gaming in general.

We always knew that we were not just fighting for one game, we were fighting for all of them. To everybody who had devoted their time and effort into your electronic personas - we've got your back.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 09:06:55 PM »
I'm actually half tempted to join in. We're in a lull while TF Hail Mary gets the Google package ready, plus the public admission of interest from Emmert. Of course, my "main" in CO is a Statesman clone, so making a RL mask from that toon might send a mixed message. Not that I mind. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

0nehanklap

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 09:17:35 PM »
Sent/spoke to everyone I could think of for CoH.  Since it's gone I have been trying to hobble thru on CO, even spending quite a bit in the Z Store,  but I won't be tossing my hat in to save it if it closes.  For me it is something I do to get along until something worthwhile comes along, but it will not break my heart to see it go.  Despite subscribing & spending real $$ there, I find it a pale substitute with an impersonal community, virtually non-existent support, and cheesy graphics that never took itself (or the genre) seriously.  Even the clunky DCUO would be preferable but for the poorly done PC controls and cookie-cutter classes.  Also, I just can't muster any love for Emmert or his work.  So, while I wish them best of luck versus the corporate game-eating monster, I guess I wont be holding a torch on this one.

I just want my City back.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 09:29:59 PM »
This effort, if it is becoming one, is to save the game before it closes. The idea is sending them masks, capes, and jerky (inside joke I'm not sure I get) to remind them that, hey, you still have this game and this group of devoted fans. Like JW, said: it's not necessarily about the specific game.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 10:46:06 PM »
Well this warms the heart!  I don't play CO anymore but I do support players wanting to save their game.  Ill see if I can help them in anyway with my a plethora of useless skills!

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 11:19:59 PM »
Of course, my "main" in CO is a Statesman clone..

That was you?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 11:44:39 PM »
I'm on my laptop, which doesn't have the game, but I can't be the only one. I think his name is Paragon Crusader.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 11:49:52 PM »
I'm on my laptop, which doesn't have the game, but I can't be the only one. I think his name is Paragon Crusader.

Yeah I remember that name. I stopped and checked him out.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 11:53:40 PM »
Good for them.

I imagine the closing of Cities seriously messed with many MMO players' faith in their publishers and developers.  Naturally, we didn't have any sort of inkling that our Cities were in trouble and our developers were just as caught off-guard.  But hey, we know how NCSoft fights dirty....

Empyrean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 12:50:15 AM »
CO has lots of potential and a deep, rich lore from the PnP game, but it is languishing from neglect.  As a 8 year vet from CoX, it took me a while to warm up to it, but with half the love CoX was getting--the right kind of love, emulating what was great about CoX--it could be a spiritual successor.

But, unless something drastically changes it won't be.  I don't know if it was more sad to watch a game unjustly walk down death row, or to watch a game chained in the basement and fed scraps till it dies of neglect.

Superheroes are really the red-headed step child of MMO's right now, and there is just no reason for it.  Superhero console games and movies are doing great.  Someone needs to get their poopy together and do it right.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 01:03:27 AM »
CO has lots of potential and a deep, rich lore from the PnP game, but it is languishing from neglect.  As a 8 year vet from CoX, it took me a while to warm up to it, but with half the love CoX was getting--the right kind of love, emulating what was great about CoX--it could be a spiritual successor.

But, unless something drastically changes it won't be.  I don't know if it was more sad to watch a game unjustly walk down death row, or to watch a game chained in the basement and fed scraps till it dies of neglect.

Superheroes are really the red-headed step child of MMO's right now, and there is just no reason for it.  Superhero console games and movies are doing great.  Someone needs to get their poopy together and do it right.

My thoughts too

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 01:19:45 AM »
I've spent most of the day back and forth between this board and the CO forum, and it ain't pretty over there. The only "dev" who even makes appearances is the Community Manager, and it's generally to shut down a thread that's "gone down in flames," so to speak. He's even gone so far as to openly state that he's frustrated by all the PWI/Cryptic bashing.

This is a good community, but morale is low. There are heated differences of opinion, but there aren't what I would call unicorns. There is occasional behavior that has been called that, but these are a bunch of dedicated players who are trying to shake the game out of what they consider to be maintenance mode.

I'm not trying to rally anyone to their cause. I feel their pain.  They still have their game. They just want to save it before it becomes a player exodus.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 01:31:51 AM »
I've spent most of the day back and forth between this board and the CO forum, and it ain't pretty over there. The only "dev" who even makes appearances is the Community Manager, and it's generally to shut down a thread that's "gone down in flames," so to speak. He's even gone so far as to openly state that he's frustrated by all the PWI/Cryptic bashing.

This is a good community, but morale is low. There are heated differences of opinion, but there aren't what I would call unicorns. There is occasional behavior that has been called that, but these are a bunch of dedicated players who are trying to shake the game out of what they consider to be maintenance mode.

I'm not trying to rally anyone to their cause. I feel their pain.  They still have their game. They just want to save it before it becomes a player exodus.

Might be PWI nd or cryptic plan. This way they cant be labeled game killer and avoid the negative label and rationalize the neglect by tossing back and forth it was PWI fault or cryptic fault and they would have put more into it if the money was there from the players. Its like walking away fro ma game without walking away and placing the blame on the fall of subscriptions and or income.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 01:53:07 AM »
Someone made an interesting point on the thread over there related to Eliot's most recent Mild-Mannered Reporter. Essentially, Cryptic owns the full rights to the Champions IP then licenses it back to Hero Games for the PnP game. With STO and NWO, they are paying for the rights, and strings are attached, supposedly. If that's true, then they're stuck with a numbers game, and CO loses. You're absolutely right. All they have to do with Champions is clear the cash register occasionally. If that stuff is true, which I can't substantiate, ATM.