Author Topic: Gold to Silver help?  (Read 1742 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Gold to Silver help?
« on: April 02, 2013, 01:57:06 AM »
So, I paid for a month of Gold, just to see what the full game was like, and I really liked one of the characters. I just discovered that I could burn a "respec token" to transition one Gold character to Silver. The trouble is, he's a Freeform. The concept is powered armor, a la Iron Man.

I don't play the game enough to know the archetypes well enough. Is there one of the base Silver archetypes that I can transition him to, or do I need to buy one of the others?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
Re: Gold to Silver help?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 02:10:15 AM »
Yes. The Invincible is a Power Armor archetype.
Spess

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 02:39:00 AM »
Thanks, Brou.

Or, should I say, someguywhoplaysgames? ;)

Actually, seeing you and Hyperstrike on the CO board made me realize how little I'd seen the two of you around here, lately. Nice to see you. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 03:54:11 AM »
WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!

Do NOT change that freeform to silver if you don't want to have to completely delete the character and start over again to go freeform.

Going from Gold to Silver or from Silver to Gold is a ONE WAY TRIP. Once you do it, you are locked in will never be able to change back!

Many MANY people have been caught by this "Feature". The only way you might be able to make that character freeform again would be to stay as a silver account and spend the 50 dollars (not kidding - it's that much) on a Freeform character slot that can be applied to that character. I'm not sure if re-subbing again for other characters would lock you out of THAT as well or not. Do some research on the CO forums. There's quite a few (angry) threads about this.

Edit: The Freeform character slot costs 5000 Zen. So yes, you could conceivably grind for it and not actually pay all that money. But I'm just saying that if you were to buy it outright, that's the equivalent amount of money.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 04:12:00 AM »
My initial response would be, "I'm not sure I'm doing the freeform thing correctly in the first place." I mean, I definitely appreciate the heads up, but I really want to play this character, and I don't see myself going back to Gold. Those Gold characters, in a couple of cases, are just sitting there, taunting me. :)

Now, the problem that I'm running into is the fact that I A: only have accumulated Questionite on the Gold character in question, and B: don't currently have access to the Invincible archetype.

I will give this a bit more consideration before making the change. Besides, I'm above level 10 on the one Silver character I actually like, so there's hope. :)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 04:22:20 AM »
Okay cool. Just wanted to give you a proper heads up you were informed.

One thing about Gold and Freeform - you can always use the Silver ATs as guides in an initial build. You'll "top out" the silver AT build in the early 30s on a freeform character. Leaving you with several extra powers to round things out.

That's pretty much what I did with Robot Ronin -> http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7405.msg106832.html#msg106832. He's mostly a Devastator build with a few power armor abilties tacked on at the end for style, theme, and some ranged options he wouldn't have access to otherwise.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 12:46:21 PM »
I'm moderately heartened by some of the positive things that folks have posted, here. I'm not to the point of paying for a sub, yet, but I know there are quite a few, here, who have. I respect that, but I'm holding out for the Plan Z projects. :)

And, thanks for the advice. It looks like I need to grind for some Questionite, so I can sell it for Zen, so I can buy the Invincible powerset. :)

Ironically, the amount of Q I need to buy the powerset would be more than covered by another month's stipend on a Gold account...  :roll: