Author Topic: Losing another MMO  (Read 8083 times)

A Cyclops named Steve

• Lieutenant
  • Steropes Freedom
Losing another MMO
« on: April 03, 2013, 01:51:31 AM »
So after the announcement of sunset a few friends and I went in search of a new game to play and we came across the game Dungeon Fighters Online(DFO) a 2D side scroll beat 'em up. A fun game that I have enjoyed in the past but haven't played in awhile due to other games and a bust schedule. Got word today that as of June 13th the servers will be shut off  :'( I admittedly didn't let myself get as into this game as CoH but I did really look forward to going back and getting my high level stuff done. Now I won't be going back at all. I can't due it again, I can't realize I love a game and then have it ripped away from me again. Interesting fact, this game is owned by Nexon, another Korean company, who last year bought some major stock in NCSoft.
.                              Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination. Take a look and you'll see into your imagination.

We'll begin with a spin, traveling in the world of my creation. What we'll see will defy explanation.

If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. Wanta change the world? There's nothing To it.

golemjoe

• Minion
Re: Losing another MMO
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 01:58:34 AM »
So after the announcement of sunset a few friends and I went in search of a new game to play and we came across the game Dungeon Fighters Online(DFO) a 2D side scroll beat 'em up. A fun game that I have enjoyed in the past but haven't played in awhile due to other games and a bust schedule. Got word today that as of June 13th the servers will be shut off  :'( I admittedly didn't let myself get as into this game as CoH but I did really look forward to going back and getting my high level stuff done. Now I won't be going back at all. I can't due it again, I can't realize I love a game and then have it ripped away from me again. Interesting fact, this game is owned by Nexon, another Korean company, who last year bought some major stock in NCSoft.

Sorry to hear that yet another thing you are playing is getting taken away. :-(  I'm not surprised though, it's very very possible that Nexon's purchase of NCSoft stock  contributed to COH's closure.  Nexon's model is really far away from what COH did and I would not be surprised to hear it didn't fit their vision.  (As an example, in one Nexon game I'm familiar with, you don't purchase an item from the cash shop.. you purchase the chance to get that item.  No, not kidding.)

A Cyclops named Steve

• Lieutenant
  • Steropes Freedom
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 02:08:01 AM »
Sorry to hear that yet another thing you are playing is getting taken away. :-(  I'm not surprised though, it's very very possible that Nexon's purchase of NCSoft stock  contributed to COH's closure.  Nexon's model is really far away from what COH did and I would not be surprised to hear it didn't fit their vision.  (As an example, in one Nexon game I'm familiar with, you don't purchase an item from the cash shop.. you purchase the chance to get that item.  No, not kidding.)

From what I know really the only other big thing they have is Maplestory. Let me clarify also, they aren't shutting down the Asian version of the game just the servers in the west. With DFO you could purchase costume sets(it was the only way to customize your avatar) but then there was also the buying rare sets and combining pieces to get the chance to get certain extra rare pieces.
.                              Come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination. Take a look and you'll see into your imagination.

We'll begin with a spin, traveling in the world of my creation. What we'll see will defy explanation.

If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. Wanta change the world? There's nothing To it.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 02:22:37 AM »
Let me clarify also, they aren't shutting down the Asian version of the game just the servers in the west.

Oh gee... ain't that a shock.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 04:02:44 AM »
Oh gee... ain't that a shock.

For more than three years, our teams worked hard in hopes of building a strong community through new content updates, service fixes, and events.  We tirelessly battled hackers and farmers.  We even had the honor of presenting the game to you at E3 and PAX.  However, Dungeon Fighter Online was not able to grow beyond its very special and proud core following.

Sadly, Dungeon Fighter Online has not attracted enough player interest to properly service the game.  Internally, we struggled deeply with the popularity of DFO in North America as the title is immensely popular overseas.  For more than three years, we went through many milestones and several pushes before we came to this very difficult decision.

Again, why is this a surprise?  Game doesn't draw enough players/income in a region, game closes.  Sucks for those who were really into the game and might have been oblivious to it's situation.  However it's a Nexon game, it's free to download and play and relies entirely on the cash item shop to survive.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

A Cyclops named Steve

• Lieutenant
  • Steropes Freedom
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 05:25:11 AM »
Again, why is this a surprise?  Game doesn't draw enough players/income in a region, game closes.  Sucks for those who were really into the game and might have been oblivious to it's situation.  However it's a Nexon game, it's free to download and play and relies entirely on the cash item shop to survive.

It does, and like with CoH. They didn't do any advertising to attract a new player base. They have also been notoriously bad at keeping content that they released in the Asian versions of the game up to date in the US version.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 07:46:14 AM »
It does, and like with CoH. They didn't do any advertising to attract a new player base. They have also been notoriously bad at keeping content that they released in the Asian versions of the game up to date in the US version.

Pulling up their annual report for 2012 they stated that NA sales were down 18% from 2011 and NA went from being profitable in 2011 to not in 2012.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 08:48:33 AM »
I'm sad to hear a game people enjoy playing is gone. I remember my girlfriend and I downloaded this to give it a try. pandomedia booster uninstall later, and neither of us could get it to run. Just didn't work on our systems :/

It was heavily advertised a few years ago iirc, so I don't know if you can say that is true. Still, sorry its shutting its doors.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 02:02:54 PM »
I played this till about Level 30 or so, but not anymore.

It had nice graphics and music, shame they're shutting down the NA/English servers.

The community was pretty bad I thought, and the cash shop was outrageous.

You were literally stuck with as Cyclops Steve says, one outfit for your avatar, nothing else.

???
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 02:25:32 PM »

That sucks. Another game gone.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 03:07:10 PM »
That's terrible, man. Sorry to hear it. If there's one thing you need when you've lost your favorite something, it's to have other somethings you enjoy to fill in the gap.

Well, at least you still have all of us. We can be pretty entertaining when we want to be. Granted, some of us don't have the prettiest graphics or the newest hardware anymore; and the lag gets a bit crazy sometimes. But hey... no subscription fees! :D

Menrva Channel

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 03:43:03 PM »
*hugs* I'm sorry. :/ Dunno how invested you were, but maybe make a bucket list and screen cap/demo the heck out of it if you can? I realized after I lost CoH just how /little/ of it I saved.

Surelle

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 08:14:42 PM »
I've always figured that Nexon's buyout heavily played into NCSoft's sudden, knee-jerk closure of CoH.  The Nexon employee that NCSoft shoved into Guild Wars 2's monetization/cash shop position isn't exactly revered by North American gamers for what has happened to GW2, either.

I said it last August 30th and I'll say it again now:  CoH was killed by....Maple Story.  Ewwww.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 08:24:11 PM »
I've always figured that Nexon's buyout heavily played into NCSoft's sudden, knee-jerk closure of CoH.  The Nexon employee that NCSoft shoved into Guild Wars 2's monetization/cash shop position isn't exactly revered by North American gamers for what has happened to GW2, either.

I said it last August 30th and I'll say it again now:  CoH was killed by....Maple Story.  Ewwww.

What the heezies is Maple Story?

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 09:00:02 PM »
A horrible, horrible 2D side scrolling grind fest of epic proportions.  It's also Nexon's most successful IP.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 09:23:34 PM »
There are places where without microtransactions, it costs 10+minutes of real time to travel.

Nexon is not a company I think anyone will ever be happy to see next to a game they enjoy :(
Woo! - Argent Girl

Ashen Fury

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 03:18:47 PM »
About the only Nexon game I've ever enjoyed was Shattered Galaxy, a really interesting rpg/RTS title where you basically deployed several fleets of units on the battlefield to try and hold points of contention(PoCs) the longest to take that territory. I've honestly never played an RTS game that had more interesting or customizable units. They pretty much let it slide into maintainance mode then sold it.
Permanently Scrapperlocked.

Love CoH music? Want EVERY SINGLE FILE?
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7192.0.html

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 06:58:02 PM »
About the only Nexon game I've ever enjoyed was Shattered Galaxy, a really interesting rpg/RTS title where you basically deployed several fleets of units on the battlefield to try and hold points of contention(PoCs) the longest to take that territory. I've honestly never played an RTS game that had more interesting or customizable units. They pretty much let it slide into maintainance mode then sold it.

Well, at least that's better than just shutting it down.
green hair

Ashen Fury

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 05:57:45 AM »
Well, at least that's better than just shutting it down.

they sold it after basically ignoring it for years. the game is practically empty now as far as i know. kinda sad.
Permanently Scrapperlocked.

Love CoH music? Want EVERY SINGLE FILE?
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7192.0.html

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 06:31:10 AM »
Is this the one that came out on XBOX Live Arcade? ::checks:: Ah yes, indeed.  I gave it a try there along with some friends, and I remember there were gameplay issues (aside from ye olde Korean MMO grindiness, although that might've done the trick eventually as well) that ultimately put us off playing it.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

A Cyclops named Steve

• Lieutenant
  • Steropes Freedom
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 02:53:20 AM »
Is this the one that came out on XBOX Live Arcade? ::checks:: Ah yes, indeed.  I gave it a try there along with some friends, and I remember there were gameplay issues (aside from ye olde Korean MMO grindiness, although that might've done the trick eventually as well) that ultimately put us off playing it.

Yeah there is an XBOX live Arcade version but it is total crap!