Author Topic: A Big Salute  (Read 2740 times)

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
A Big Salute
« on: April 06, 2013, 04:01:03 AM »
I just want everyone to know how much of a privilege I feel this community is. There are amazing aspects of this family of gamers that I have never seen in any other community in my life, whether online or off.

This is nothing new though. I remember on the main forums, in the final days, there were a lot of similar sentiments going around. It was friends and strangers huddling together while a part of their world came to an end. But in every thread where people expressed gratitude for their community, the most negative voices would always pop in to remind us that it was nothing special; that we were just another video game forum. That we'd forget about each other soon enough. That we wouldn't stick together.

They were wrong. And no matter what happens, no matter what we achieve or fail to accomplish, this community has already accomplished that which must precede every potential victory.

I promise you, I will never forget about this "video game forum", or this chapter in my life. This is just a random, out of the blue "Thank you", and a salute.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Re: A Big Salute
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 04:28:29 AM »
No, thank YOU!

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 06:24:41 AM »
From Serkana to Captain Electric, TonyV, and the rest of the community: "I Salute You!"

Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 06:35:50 AM »
I've found it hard to stick around as much as I did after the shutdown, but I've still tried to stay present in the fight, keeping apprised of the current goings-on...

But I will be here, and I echo the previous sentiments. Three cheers for our community, three cheers for our game, and I think we've shown that we were more than just a bunch of people who liked wearing capes, or not wearing capes but flying/running/jumping/teleporting around Paragon City.

And I'm proud to be amongst your number.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Scrier

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 09:41:26 AM »
I've ever been a lurker, but I've been here since... well, technically since before the shutdown announcement but only started really lurking properly around then. I've got nothing but respect for everything that has gone on here and I'm proud of everything that we've accomplished as a community. Even if I watched most of it from the sidelines.

Thank you to everyone.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 02:24:10 PM »
Captain, right back at you my friend. It was an honor to fight beside you in Paragon City, and it's an honor to fight beside you in Titan... um... *leans off to the side and whispers* Is this a city? Fortress? What? Oh never mind, I'll wing it. *straightens up* Ahem. ... to fight beside you, here in Titan mumblemumble!

I was looking for a picture of Trip saluting in her Mountie uniform, but then I found this one and I actually like it better. Consider the Hellion to be all those naysayers, we knocked them out and now we're using their spray can to paint our message. And what's our message?

We're Still Here! The Resistance Lives!

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
It been proven over and over.  When the worst happens two things show up.  People band together sharing a common struggle, as well as those seeking to exploit such trouble times.

This is our darkest hour.  I for one smile crack my knuckles and roll up my sleeves to continue to work to either save our home.  Or build a new one.  I may not be wealthy, or knowledgeable in programming or anything useful.  I for one refuse to just give up. 

They may have kicked us out of paragon... But Paragon can't be taken out of us!  We Are Heroes!  This is what we do.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 03:01:49 AM »
Thank you all.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 03:46:58 AM »
Thank you everyone! There truly is no other community like ours.

(I'm not gonna cry, I'm not gonna cry, I'm not gonna cry) dang it...
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

Intone

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 02:36:34 PM »
Could not agree more with OP. We had an extraordinary game with a wonderful community. It speaks volumes that our COH community -- bound together by love of the game -- endures. We experienced something very special, something which should not have have been taken away, or at least not in the manner it was.

But we are still here, now bound and inspired by hope for return to that unique experience, whether through the game reconstituted or the new development projects. Let's keep the conversation going, with voices loud enough to be heard above the fray.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 09:41:24 PM »
I think my sig speaks for me.

(Whoops! Wrong forum! LOL!)

I mean - THIS SIG here -

That, right there above, says how I feel.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 05:30:52 PM by Atlantea »

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 05:57:17 AM »
They might have taken the heroes out of Paragon City, but they will NEVER take Paragon City out of the heroes. The torch burns brightly in my heart....
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Surelle

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 01:16:27 AM »
They might have taken the heroes out of Paragon City, but they will NEVER take Paragon City out of the heroes. The torch burns brightly in my heart....

You've got that right. 

Thanks, gang!

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 04:04:01 AM »
Recently, I've been playing some songs based from Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books.

The song The Herald's Creed is something that reminds me of what we, the CoH community, have taken upon ourselves.

In case you don't want to click the link, here are the lyrics:

The Heralds Creed

I pledge this day my sword, my heart to build and help preserve;
Although I live my life apart from those that I must serve.
The laws of truth I will obey in every thought and deed,
Stand fast while others turn away, upon The Herald's Creed.

I vow to heal the wrongs I see as long as I shall live.
My heart will guide me faithfully and teach me how to give,
I'll render aid as best I can and to those who are in pain
And by the strength of my own hand restore the peace again.

The deeds of those who lived before, have bound my life to theirs.
Their legends open up the door and taught me how to care
The touch of my Companion's thoughts bring friendship, song and joy.
It is upon that love has wrought and time cannot destroy.

I swear to guard and keep the crown defending all that's just,
No force will ever bring it down, this is our sacred trust.
My path is clear before me now, my choices all are made
In Honor's name I take a vow to face life unafraid.

Upon my soul I make a vow this light will never fade.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for a great set of books, Mercedes. :-)
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms