Author Topic: An important event in the history of geekdom has come to pass  (Read 7253 times)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
We have entered the ray-gun age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmoldX1wKYQ

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: An important event in the history of geekdom has come to pass
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »
Same basic system they tried out in the C-130 a while back, but there are far less power concerns mounted on a ship.

One step closer to mounting lasers on sharks.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 10:27:10 PM »
They need to put it on carriers. They have the capacity to generate significantly more power!
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 10:59:25 PM »
Same basic system they tried out in the C-130 a while back, but there are far less power concerns mounted on a ship.

One step closer to mounting lasers on sharks.

I vaguely remember them experimenting with it, but I was under the assumption that they weren't really able to get it to work.

They need to put it on carriers. They have the capacity to generate significantly more power!

I want to see them on tanks as an anti-personnel weapon. Not that I'm getting a Martian's itchy-trigger finger, but it would sure put a dampener on any army that thinks they can win a conflict just by having superior numbers. Sort of like the artillery Gatling guns when they were first developed.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 11:50:18 PM »
I want to see them on tanks as an anti-personnel weapon. Not that I'm getting a Martian's itchy-trigger finger, but it would sure put a dampener on any army that thinks they can win a conflict just by having superior numbers. Sort of like the artillery Gatling guns when they were first developed.
That's what the Active Denial System was designed for.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 11:53:34 PM »
While the technology of lasers being around like this is neat, unless we get phasers set to stun I admit this is bittersweet.

I DESIGNED THE GIANT DEATH RAY TO AID HUMANITY, NOT DESTROY IT!

edit: incase anyone hasn't seen it . . . I realized I didn't link this!

Death Ray from Mitchell and Webb
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:11:09 AM by Kistulot »
Woo! - Argent Girl

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 12:49:44 AM »
I'm disappointed by the lack of pew pew or bright colors. What's the point of developing a death ray if it doesn't pew pew or have bright colors? Ah well, at least enemy combatants can now say, "Book it, here comes the LaWS" or "I fought the LaWS and the LaWS won".

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 01:17:15 AM »
I'm disappointed by the lack of pew pew or bright colors. What's the point of developing a death ray if it doesn't pew pew or have bright colors? Ah well, at least enemy combatants can now say, "Book it, here comes the LaWS" or "I fought the LaWS and the LaWS won".

I want to know exactly what the drone was seeing. Was that only infrared light or is it a beam that becomes somewhat visible when you're more or less looking down the beam (like a laser pointer)?

We may get something like what you're talking about someday. We need to develop a laser that is hot enough to ionize the air. This is what makes lightning visible and causes thunder. Well... that and Thor.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 01:21:24 AM »
I'm disappointed by the lack of pew pew or bright colors. What's the point of developing a death ray if it doesn't pew pew or have bright colors?

Exactly. It's not enough to just have a laser gun. You have to let people know you have a laser gun.

Ah well, at least enemy combatants can now say, "Book it, here comes the LaWS" or "I fought the LaWS and the LaWS won".

And whoever fires it will be all like "I AM the LaWS".

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 07:00:15 AM »
Neat :D

I vaguely remember them experimenting with it, but I was under the assumption that they weren't really able to get it to work.

I don't think anyone today thinks it just requires superior numbers to win, that ship has long sailed. 

Of course those will think God is on their side, they don't think they have only numbers.

That will be in six months and made available for download at a slight charge at the shop. :|

Though not being able to easily detect the that particular weapon's invisible strength, radius, or coverage could be considered a plus.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 07:25:54 AM »
Believe me, I've worked on military weapon system development right out of college in the 80s and if there was a way to create an acronym for it to be used as alternatives in well known quotes, they've thought of all of them already and probably have t-shirts made.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 02:07:33 PM »
Gotta say, CIWS (Sea-whiz?) was not their finest hour, especially since it looked like some kind of robot fertility effigy.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 04:53:32 PM »
I DESIGNED THE GIANT DEATH RAY TO AID HUMANITY, NOT DESTROY IT!

There are plenty of ways to destroy humanity. If no one has decided to utilize one of them yet, then I don't think one laser is going to turn the tables.

I'm disappointed by the lack of pew pew or bright colors.

They were there, it's just that light moves so fast you couldn't see it. Unlike on television, laser beams travel faster than 45 miles per hour. (-:

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 05:08:23 PM »
Unlike on television, laser beams travel faster than 45 miles per hour. (-:
Pfff.  Everyone knows that only happens in a vacuum.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 05:10:54 PM »
They were there, it's just that light moves so fast you couldn't see it. Unlike on television, laser beams travel faster than 45 miles per hour. (-:

Well, like the ancient philosopher Socrates once said... "Pics or it didn't happen."

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 07:33:24 PM »
There are plenty of ways to destroy humanity. If no one has decided to utilize one of them yet, then I don't think one laser is going to turn the tables.
Like it would need help from technology, anyway :P
Yeeessss....

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 07:46:07 PM »

That all depends on the laser.

0nehanklap

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 09:21:07 PM »

You clearly haven't been paying attention to Kim Jong Un's latest threats with NK's new Illudium Q36 Atomic Space Modulator!   :gonk:

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 04:51:23 AM »
You clearly haven't been paying attention to Kim Jong Un's latest threats with NK's new Illudium Q36 Atomic Space Modulator!   :gonk:

No worries, all we have to do to neutralize that weapon is lure a rabbit into a rocket with some carrots, launch it at North Korea, and the rascally rabbit will take care of the rest.