Author Topic: R.I.P. Angel of Caine  (Read 2451 times)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
R.I.P. Angel of Caine
« on: April 12, 2013, 09:32:10 AM »
There is a prominent poster of the CO Forums who went by the handle "Angel of Caine" and he just passed away due to cancer.

Announcement thread on his illness and passing here -

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=217141
(announcement of his actual passing is on page 13 of that thread)

I understand he also used to play City of Heroes. So if anyone from this community knew him and doesn't know about it already and want to pay your respects the link is above. Also there are links within to facebook pages and the like.

He apparently was an extremely helpful and rational poster who managed to always remain calm when the forums were erupting in angst. He helped a lot of people in many ways and was one of the first to call for CO people to help welcome COH fans when our game was taken from us.

In retrospect, in many ways, he strikes me as akin to Kiyotee from the Beta and Pre-Beta COH forums (though I wasn't around for that - only hearing third-hand about Kiyotee and the reason why the COH Devs honored him with the NPC contact in the original tutorial named Coyote.)

And similarly, there are calls for a memorial In-Game in CO. Mainly the idea is to either have a statue of his main character "Crimson Bolt" replace one of the ones in RenCen, or make Crimson Bolt the face of the "Tempest" AT much as the character named "Roxstar" was made that of the Earth set.

AoC campaigned to have his friend's character Roxstar made the "character face" of the Stone AT. So Roxstar is returning the favor by starting the campaign for a memorial in some fashion. That thread is here:

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=218201

There will be an in-game memorial Friday, April 12th at 6PM Server Time (If you're not sure when that is, check the clock on the mini-map, remember - it's NOT local time on your computer - it's SERVER time. And that is marked clearly as separate.)

(That's later today as of this posting)

Let's come through for our friends in CO as they have come through for us, won't we?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 09:40:03 AM by Atlantea »

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: R.I.P. Angel of Caine
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 02:03:10 PM »
Server time is Pacific. There's a link that Biff Smackwell posted on something like page 16 or 17 that goes to a timezone converter.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 01:09:33 AM »
 What server was "Angel of Caine" on in CoH?
The name Crimson Bolt sounds familiar.
My condolences to his family and friends.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 01:53:16 AM »
His wife really didn't know. I thought the name was familiar, too, until someone on the CO forum pointed out that Rainn Wilson's hero name in Super (well after AoC had made his CoH character) was Crimson Bolt. That doesn't mean we didn't run into him, but it muddied the waters of my memory a bit. :)

His wife still checks in occasionally on the thread in the CO forum, but you can send a PM in FB, if you want. I don't want to put it in a public forum, but I'm happy to PM the info to anyone who wants it. (No guarantees of timeliness for about the next 24 hours, though; I'm trying to finish a project that was due on Friday. :) )

(She put some contact info in a post on their thread, if you want to go thru it. I believe it's on about page 4 or 5. Since one of the things listed was her real email address, I don't want to create work for Agge. ;) )
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."