Author Topic: I'm sure you all heard about it now...(Boston)  (Read 16951 times)

Kriiden

• Lieutenant
I'm sure you all heard about it now...(Boston)
« on: April 15, 2013, 08:15:41 PM »
The bombing during the Marathon. I felt it appropriate to create a thread in regards to this. I have a cousin who was running in the Marathon, and two more cousins who were watching him. (And uncle and another cousin, whom are all fine) I was also born in Boston, so this hits hard.

I just thought this was necessary. Mod's, feel free to remove it.

My wishes go out to the victims of this tragedy.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: I'm sure you all heard about it now...(Boston)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 08:17:49 PM »
I'm still looking for confirmation from the authorities that there were actually bombs involved.  Not saying there weren't, but so far the only mention I've seen of explosives was speculation on the part of the marathon's organizers.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:22:01 PM »
Someone get the Real Life Hero guys on this so we can help the injured.

Kriiden

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 08:27:18 PM »
I'm still looking for confirmation from the authorities that there were actually bombs involved.  Not saying there weren't, but so far the only mention I've seen of explosives was speculation on the part of the marathon's organizers.

Confirmed that is WAS bombs. Two-Three, at least two confirmed.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 08:33:36 PM »
News reports Boston PD found at least 2 additional unexploded devices....
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 09:12:57 PM »
North Korea is celebrating the birth of the Kim dynasty today. Hrm...

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 09:13:51 PM »
Possibly unrelated, possibly related: Explosion at the JFK Library.

Confirmed 28 wounded, 2 dead, BPD not currently updating casualty totals.  I've seen Tweets showing as many as 39 wounded.

Go to Twitter. GoogleMaps has a people finder now. Cell phone service in Boston shut down as precaution against further detonations.

http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 09:29:35 PM »
Confirmed that is WAS bombs. Two-Three, at least two confirmed.

Three,  one didn't go off.

%@$#@! Terrorists >:(

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 09:58:49 PM »
Yeah I got a lot of family there  :-\

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 10:06:15 PM »
Possibly unrelated, possibly related: Explosion at the JFK Library.
Police are backing off on their earlier assessment that the JFK Library incident might have been related.

Cell service in the area has been shut down just in case the explosives were being detonated by phone.

Edit:

The number set up to call to locate family is 617-635-4500.  Google has set up a person finder at http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions where people can enter information for anyone they're looking for or anyone who someone might be searching for.

Anyone with information is encouraged to call 800-494-TIPS.

Edit 2:

It's now been confirmed that cell service was not shut down as originally reported.  The networks were simply overwhelmed and are already being upgraded by carriers.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:50:01 PM by eabrace »
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 11:50:49 PM »
Thoughts and Prayers being sent Boston's way.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Menrva Channel

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 12:02:33 AM »
Yeah, I heard as I went into the office to run things off for tomorrow. Definitely sending thoughts and prayers. Hope all with family there are safe and sound. :(

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 12:52:24 AM »
I basically had to force myself to ignore this at work today.

Seeing it now though.

Such a goddamn waste...

Surelle

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 01:09:54 AM »
I live quite close to that area.  It was a huge shock to come home from work, fire up my PC, and see this at the top of Yahoo News.  There were three bombs from what I've seen on TV; one didn't go off-- it was found in a hotel.  They've actually been saying on Yahoo news tonight that the Kennedy Library had a bomb go off inside of it too.  However, it was originally thought to be an electrical fire, and I don't think anyone was hurt by that one; there's a small blackened area of the library, but otherwise, everyone got out fine, at least from the early reports.  So the jury's still out on the library I guess.

Honestly, you can't go anywhere anymore.  Kids can't go to school.  People can't gather to celebrate....anything.  People come from all over the world to run in our marathon.  Now I wonder if they'll even have it next year, or again at all.

It all boils down to mental illness, it really does.  No one sane would do any of  this.  People need to be able to talk, to confide, to read about things like bipolar, schizophrenia and the like the way they are currently able to talk, to confide, to read about things like cancer or heart trouble.  There are so many ways to deal with mental illness even besides the drugs,  like with homeopathic remedies, herbal remedies, and other things from the earth, but those affected need to be able to seek and get help without being shunned or embarrassed.   So many times things like blood sugar problems or thyroid problems are really what's behind violent behavior; even the drugs don't address the real problems.

Sorry, plopping down off my soapbox now, but I really wish people in general would think about this more.  Adam Lanza's mother was said to have "played it close to the chest" concerning her son's mental health.  Maybe if she hadn't had to hold it all inside for fear of what people would think or say, her son's life (and hers, as well as all the others he killed) could have played out so very differently.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 01:50:14 AM »
It all boils down to mental illness, it really does.  No one sane would do any of  this.  People need to be able to talk, to confide, to read about things like bipolar, schizophrenia and the like the way they are currently able to talk, to confide, to read about things like cancer or heart trouble.  There are so many ways to deal with mental illness even besides the drugs,  like with homeopathic remedies, herbal remedies, and other things from the earth, but those affected need to be able to seek and get help without being shunned or embarrassed.   So many times things like blood sugar problems or thyroid problems are really what's behind violent behavior; even the drugs don't address the real problems.

Assuming international politics isn't behind this...

Can people in the U.S. even get mental healthcare for free? I'm guessing the answer is no, though maybe post-Obamacare they can? That would be a pretty big issue if people can't get it free, because the ones who are most likely to snap are the ones who already can't afford anything.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 04:20:59 AM »
On days like this, I used to be able to log in and beat the snot out of some bad guys. Sure, I have (free) accounts in other games and some active time in WoW, but it's just not the sort of catharsis I usually get from it.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 12:01:38 PM »
Assuming international politics isn't behind this...

Like Surelle said.  Mental illness.  Politicians are just one of the most pathological examples that HAVEN'T been put in their little rubber rooms yet.

And wait until we see new legislation designed to "keep us safe" over this deplorable incident.  And yet more of our rights will be stripped from us.

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 02:10:27 PM »
Like Surelle said.  Mental illness.  Politicians are just one of the most pathological examples that HAVEN'T been put in their little rubber rooms yet.

And wait until we see new legislation designed to "keep us safe" over this deplorable incident.  And yet more of our rights will be stripped from us.

/agree

:(

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 06:52:36 PM »
I think that this feels more like it was the work of our howmgrown bunker-building militia nutjobs - not only do the bombs seem to be more low grade and amatuer than you'd expect from an international group, the significance of the date also seems more likely to have been chosen by an internal enemy, as it'd fit their perverted mindset perfectly - an overseas enemy would be way more likely to target July 4th.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 10:11:17 PM »
I think that this feels more like it was the work of our howmgrown bunker-building militia nutjobs - not only do the bombs seem to be more low grade and amatuer than you'd expect from an international group, the significance of the date also seems more likely to have been chosen by an internal enemy, as it'd fit their perverted mindset perfectly - an overseas enemy would be way more likely to target July 4th.

Foreign terrorist bombs can be just as amateur.  Everything depends on the knowledge of the person who's making them, and the materials they have on hand.